2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

We also need speed and evasion out of the middle. Did you see the Giants just slice through us yesterday and we couldn't do it going back the other way? The only one that could was when Shai went into the middle in the final quarter when TT went down injured.

Our midfield is collectively too slow.

There is no problem having TT and Hopper in there, and Prestia used to be quick, but when you surround them with Graham, Baker etc, we are just too slow. If the latter 2 leave, then we have open spots to bring in speedier players. I think this is 1 of the reasons why Dow was given so much time, he has evasiveness, he just doesn't know how to really use it and generally has too many other deficiencies, but the type of player is what we need. Balancing a midfield going into next year with McAuliffe (after a big pre-season) and 1 or 2 of Smith, FOS, Draper, Reid, maybe even Hotton etc, changes the dynamic of our midfield and allows us to use Bolton as a burst midfielder in there for 5-10 mins per quarter to rip the game open.
Exactly.We'd have to be the slowest midfield in the comp.

Good stuff BT.

On why Lalor moved away from Mick Jagga. Far more likely he just doesn't have the tank to play long midfield minutes yet in a fast open game like yesterday.

Reckon that's why he has pretty divided opinions. Those that think he's fine aerobically and it's purely because of his limited prep Vs those who have a question mark on that area of his game and if it will translate to being a midfielder at AFL level or a forward who spends time in there.

And agree we need Kako's type. Am not convinced on him. Tidy little player sure - But is he actually that quick? Which he'll need to be.

Much prefer Berry in that type of role. He will probably go higher as well though.
Berry reminds me of the Swans pest Papley.

Excellent interview with The Langford.

Tiges fan. Reckoned FOS was the best player in the draft this year citing his skills, footy IQ etc. Said FOS was a great bloke and leader too.

The Langford himself bases his game on the Bont - inside possessions using his big body, going forward and kicking a few goals.

And for those (like me) that had a question on his leg speed, he said the part of his game that he was working on the most was his speed - especially his breakaway speed and ability to chase down an opponent.

Outstanding interview. Level headed, down to earth, determined kid.

Shoulder being sound enough, he should be a good player for someone.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hey all, first time poster.

I've followed the draft closely for a number of years (but defs not a know it all).

I love this draft, and I think it's the best depth I've seen for a very long time. There's a lot of players I'd be happy with for us, however I think Tobie Travaglia and his quality is being slept on a little bit.

He was massive as a defender for country, however for the pioneers he's been playing fwd / mid so he's one of the most versatile players in the pool. He kicked 3 from 28 touches and nearly got Bendigo home single-handedly in his last game for them. Excellent decision maker and skill level, has burst and speed and is awesome overhead. Also has been captain so highly regarded leader. He would be in my top 5 at the moment.

My view is we need either midfielders with burst and skill, any forward with craft, and more key fwd talent. This draft has great options in all those areas.
Thanks Tobie.
Welcome too Tigerland.
That 50 was a clear sign you'll be in Tiger colors(We always give up a goal in the final 60secs)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
jagga averaged 28 disposals and 3.5 tackles from 10 games in his bottom age Coates year

this year he's 31 disposals and 3 tackles average from 5 games.

over 2 years, he tackles 3.3 times a game

this is more than Dusty (2.7) or $hai (2.9).

close to Sam Walsh(4) and exactly the same as Zac Butters (3.3)

so hes not a prolific tackler (draper got 10 against men on weekend), but the data says he tackles commensurate with his role.

lets look at some kicking Penetration data?

a crude dividing metres gained by number of kicks.

jagga average kick length on Sunday was 27m.

on the same day, Lachy Whitfield was 18m, Jayden Short was 24m, Dion Prestia was 16m and dan Rioli 23m

that data set says myth pretty busted.

which brings us to weight?

they dont tell us weights anymore, but hes about Zac butters and Shai Bolton sized

none are colossal. But if its speed you need, you dont do bench press.

and I really dont see its relevant when a bloke is demonstrably prolific and durable

Reactions: 3 users
Lalor walks on water will be next.lol

I think Lalor is a ripper.

Could hardly be a more different mid to jagga though.

they're not comparable.

I'd like both.

but I do think Langford and Lalor are very comparable, and i'd take Langford first,

without much confidence

Reactions: 3 users
We also need speed and evasion out of the middle. Did you see the Giants just slice through us yesterday and we couldn't do it going back the other way? The only one that could was when Shai went into the middle in the final quarter when TT went down injured.

Our midfield is collectively too slow.

There is no problem having TT and Hopper in there, and Prestia used to be quick, but when you surround them with Graham, Baker etc, we are just too slow. If the latter 2 leave, then we have open spots to bring in speedier players. I think this is 1 of the reasons why Dow was given so much time, he has evasiveness, he just doesn't know how to really use it and generally has too many other deficiencies, but the type of player is what we need. Balancing a midfield going into next year with McAuliffe (after a big pre-season) and 1 or 2 of Smith, FOS, Draper, Reid, maybe even Hotton etc, changes the dynamic of our midfield and allows us to use Bolton as a burst midfielder in there for 5-10 mins per quarter to rip the game open.
Agree with your reference to Shai.
But TT and Hopper in together are just too slow to keep up with midfields like Port, Sydney, Brisbane, GC Collingwood, GWS even Melbourne. Throw Prestia or Graham in with those two and the net result is even slower. And you want to trade Rioli. No thanks.

Last edited:
jagga averaged 28 disposals and 3.5 tackles from 10 games in his bottom age Coates year

this year he's 31 disposals and 3 tackles average from 5 games.

over 2 years, he tackles 3.3 times a game

this is more than Dusty (2.7) or $hai (2.9).

close to Sam Walsh(4) and exactly the same as Zac Butters (3.3)

so hes not a prolific tackler (draper got 10 against men on weekend), but the data says he tackles commensurate with his role.

lets look at some kicking Penetration data?

a crude dividing metres gained by number of kicks.

jagga average kick length on Sunday was 27m.

on the same day, Lachy Whitfield was 18m, Jayden Short was 24m, Dion Prestia was 16m and dan Rioli 23m

that data set says myth pretty busted.

which brings us to weight?

they dont tell us weights anymore, but hes about Zac butters and Shai Bolton sized

none are colossal. But if its speed you need, you dont do bench press.

and I really dont see its relevant when a bloke is demonstrably prolific and durable
Sundays game was the most he's kicked ,and looking at the replay again ,he was up against Langford for a fair bit of the match ,and easily beat him for speed around the stoppages and around the ground .
The only one who contained him and kept pressure on him was Lalor ,and he struggled with it ,as he did against SA when the heat was on in the first half of that match .
The AFL as you know is a huge jump in pressure and physicality ,he is not going to get that sort easy free wheeling he gets at under 18 level,and a lot of his possessions are little dinky ones .
As for picking him at no 1 NO WAY ,we are going to disagree on Jagga ,,Bowie but thats life.

I think Lalor is a ripper.

Could hardly be a more different mid to jagga though.

they're not comparable.

I'd like both.

but I do think Langford and Lalor are very comparable, and i'd take Langford first,

without much confidence
Langford is slow to react ,good work ethic ,but very one paced .

Sundays game was the most he's kicked ,and looking at the replay again ,he was up against Langford for a fair bit of the match ,and easily beat him for speed around the stoppages and around the ground .
The only one who contained him and kept pressure on him was Lalor ,and he struggled with it ,as he did against SA when the heat was on in the first half of that match .
The AFL as you know is a huge jump in pressure and physicality ,he is not going to get that sort easy free wheeling he gets at under 18 level,and a lot of his possessions are little dinky ones .
As for picking him at no 1 NO WAY ,we are going to disagree on Jagga ,,Bowie but thats life.

who would you take if you were picking at 1,

and who do you reckon Tigers would call out if the draft was this arvo?

Langford is slow to react ,good work ethic ,but very one paced .

I dont see him that way, but egg on my face with the > lalor call quite a possibility

ive seen enough of the mids now (except lalor and FOS and hotton, who complicate things)

im gonna try split the FF's namely Armstrong/sims/J whitlock

there seems a bit of chemistry between jagga and sims to me?

who would you take if you were picking at 1,

and who do you reckon Tigers would call out if the draft was this arvo?

I dont see him that way, but egg on my face with the > lalor call quite a possibility

ive seen enough of the mids now (except lalor and FOS and hotton, who complicate things)

im gonna try split the FF's namely Armstrong/sims/J whitlock

there seems a bit of chemistry between jagga and sims to me?
I need to see how the year finishes ,at the moment l could have up to 5 player's at no1.
Would l take Lalor at no 1 at the moment NO WAY ,but l know what he can do ,and l think he will end up being the most damaging mid among this crop ,be it in the mid or up forward .
I am very torn about Trainor at the moment ,he may end up a decent forward if not a very good back man ,l also like Draper as l did last year as well.
Reid isn't my type l gravitate to ,but prefer him to Jagga .

Im looking forward to how the year pans out for quite a few of them ,but also what the Tigers do in trade week .
It all good and well to say we need Mids ,but to win games you need to kick goals,and all we have up forward at the moment are b/c grade player's with the exception of Shai ,even Lynch is on his last legs .

Someone previously mentioned Kayle Gerreyn.I’d love him at the tigers.Big,aggressive,lovely hands and neat disposal.Could shoot up the boards if he finishes strongly in the wafl.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone previously mentioned Kayle Gerreyn.I’d love him at the tigers.Big,aggressive,lovely hands and neat disposal.Could shoot up the boards if he finishes strongly in the wafl.
That was me. Takes a real good pressure mark. No problems when he has to stand under it. Can play ruck or forward.

WAFL form a watch.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with your reference to Shai.
But TT and Hopper in together are just too slow to keep up with midfields like Port, Sydney, Brisbane, GC Collingwood, GWS even Melbourne. Throw Prestia or Graham in with those two and the net result is even slower. And you want to trade Rioli. No thanks.

I agree on your base, but Yze is reluctant to play Bolton through the middle, and has rarely used Rioli through the midfield. He's pushed a little bit higher the last few games, but still largely running off half back. I've wanted to see him in the midfield, but if Yze isn't going to do that, then it opens up the possibility of a trade, as we have options at half back, and need the investment going into pure mids.

My point around midfield players, was you can have TT and Hopper in the middle, but not when you are supplementing them with other slow mids as you have said. Having those 2 isn't the issue, is the next group that is. We could see the difference on Sunday when Shai went into the middle and we lost 1 of those slower players (it was TT due to injury but could have easily have been 1 of the others) whereby we suddenly moved the ball better through the middle and into the forward line (the only quarter where we did better than evens on scoring shots, kicked 4.2). Its what we need more of, I was wanting Rioli to be tried there, but looks like Yze isn't too focused on that one.

Reactions: 2 users