2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I'd go with this for my top 3:

1. Jagga
2. Draper
3. O'Sullivan (I'm holding until I see another month, however 7 touches in a massive game like that surely brings him with the pack now)

what would yours be??

It's a blanket at the top. I could debate any of the next group ahead of these guys which include Travaglia, Trainor, Ashcroft, Langford, Lombard, Lalor, Berry & Hynes, Sims, Allan etc.

Couple of guys I like lower down the order:
- Jaxon Artemis (I love the pace / skill combination as more of a developmental player)
- Kayle Gerryn (massive unit but is a great athlete and didnt mind his work up fwd)

yeah my top 3 same as yours, with 2 and 3 subject to change.

I think on an even playing field, Lombard has a strong case for No.1.

we all want to see 'em play VFL; Leo contributed to a VFL premiership at 16. he does have an incredible CV.

At this stage, I'd round out my top 5 with

1. jagga
2. draper
3. FOS
4. Leo Lombard
5. Trainor

then

6. Joe Berry (big riser)
7 Langford
8 Tom Sims (sticking neck out!)
9. Toby Travaglia (big riser)
10 Sam Lalor

havnt seen Hotton play - he sounds close to top 10?

Smiley and Ashcroft aren't in my top 10

It'll change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Re the Tsatas concerns - fair question.
IMO its not. In his draft year, and its all on the record, I was saying how the buggery is Tsatas in the frame for top 10, in what was a much thinner top 10. Smith I'm saying what a gun, whoever gets him will be rapt, I think his no 1 credentials are rock solid. Just my respective takes, for me, chalk and cheese, and not just hindsight, in real time.

Reactions: 1 user

we all want to see 'em play VFL; Leo contributed to a VFL premiership at 16. he does have an incredible CV.

1. jagga
2. draper
3. FOS
4. Leo Lombard
5. Trainor

then

6. Joe Berry (big riser)
7 Langford
10 Sam Lalor

It'll change.
Don’t forget Murphy Reid.
He has to be in the top 10. I’d have him at 7 behind Lalor.

Has claims, no doubt whatsoever. But at least 15, and probably 20 players have claims to top 10.

Pace and up and under kicks are my concerns, but like many, I'd be happy to get him.

yeah its a packed field. ive got Reid about 15 currently I reckon?

I don't reckon there will be 2 first rounds the same in any predictors this year.

I reckon there will a be scandal with Cal Twomey exposed infiltrating the North Face factory

and bugging all collars in the Melbourne shipment.

Has claims, no doubt whatsoever. But at least 15, and probably 20 players have claims to top 10.

Pace and up and under kicks are my concerns, but like many, I'd be happy to get him.

yeah a few nick daffy 9 irons caught my eye too

tackling isn't his job.

but have you honestly missed the cotchin'esque attack on a contested ball?

can you honestly sit straight in your chair and type

that a bloke who got 16 CP in the hottest game in years,

shirks?

honestly or are you trolling me?

id like to know.

Ive got no probs being bowie , hahah,

but its a good discussion I'd hate to see polarise and degrade and go silly.
Jag absolutely copped a battering in that game including a massive lay out tackle from Lalor himself and kept on going. Impressive.

Harry Armstrong nice player in the making. Good jukes, great kick and good on the ground. Reminds me of Chris Tarrant

Re the Tsatas concerns - fair question.

But there are big differences for leysy. Firstly the contested possession numbers.

At the state champs the respective ratio's were:

Tsatas - 27% contested
Jagga - 85% contested

Massive difference. Mick wins his own ball. In fact he's showing he's probably the undisputed best contested ball and clearance player of his year. Tsatas had some question marks on his contested work on PRE before his draft for that reason.

You seem to have questioned his physical stuff a bit BT. It doesnt mean everything, but His old man was a champion country footballer who was as tough as nails, his grandfather Ricky from all reports was tougher again. Leysy's old man played with and against him and reckons he's as tough and as good a footballer of his era on the North West Coast behind Tasmania's greatest - Doc Baldock.

In short, from when he had nappies he's been taught to play footy the right way. Hard and tough, you see ball you win it - despite his frame.

Working theory - Reckon, it is easy, for some of these guys well exposed at the top, for pundits including clubs themselves, to pick them apart too much and focus on what they can't do, what weaknesses they have - And not the elite strengths. Reckon that might be happening a bit here for those that are cool on him.

In Mick's case (despite Ezy's posts ha) he aint perfect. He does lack depth in his kicking and he does have slight frame.

But he is also absolutely elite at reading the ball, his cleanliness, his hands, his agility and what Leysy loves most - He knows exactly what he's doing with the ball before he gets it - And then executes. He's thinking ahead of everyone else.

It's why he has that Nick Daicos trait of winning so many contested possessions without anyyone really noticing. He turns contested situations for his team into clean outside ball better and faster than anyone.

Also dont really have a knock on his kicking (outside its depth). Yes he doesnt always go forwards (though he did have 425m gained yesterday), but generally always uses it to the best advantage of his team. But yes his hands are better.

Been in Micks corner all along, but He's not a nailed on number one on Leysy's list yet - For whatever that's worth (not much). Reckon still a bit to play out between FoS, Sid and Mick yet.

Anyway - end of rant ha!
Is Jagga the grandson of the Ricky Smith in the Tasmanian Hall of Fame who recently passed away ?

Jagga is definately the least risky option at pick 1 and probably deserves to go pick one on the season he put together. He's the prototype modern midfielder now that you can't break tackles really as much. Reminds me alot of Lachie Neale. I'd love to take him but I get the feeling toce loves the bigger body mids like phillipou, owens and windhager. Hopefully the club realises we have those types taranto hopper and kane and don't need more

Reactions: 5 users
Jagga Smith playing VFL for us over the next 3 weeks
Mick Jagger Dancing GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
My homework leads to me FOS every time. The Rolls Royce of this draft. Like Jagga too though.

Last edited:
My homework leads to me FOS every time. The Rolls Royce of this draft. Like Jagga too though.
Corey Ellis was a rolls Royce too. I like fos his agility and hands are clean a neat kick, but his lack of pace is a bit of a worry. What's his point of difference to make him an elite mid at afl level is my concern. It's the explosive players that are really standing out the way the game is going even guys like trent rivers. I'd want to see the combine results on players

1. jagga
2. draper
3. FOS
4. Leo Lombard
5. Trainor

then

6. Joe Berry (big riser)
7 Langford
10 Sam Lalor

It'll change.
Lombard is a beast, so powerful. I like the Sims call - very keen to see how he finishes out the year at Northern.

Berry seems exactly what we need, fwd half player with ability to separate and use it and kick goals.

Hotton was electric in his few games for Sandy, spewing we didn't get to see him in the champs. If we had a few 1st rounders we could still go there, massive punt if it's our main shot

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah dunno what else Smith can do. BOG in the midfield, where the best players play, in the best junior champs game I've ever seen. So much class, smarts, vision, damage and second efforts. As I've said, I was a mild sceptic, happy to get him but preferred others. Not anymore. Most of his possessions were eye catching, a few were off the charts champagne city.

As for the light frame, I'm supremely confident it won't matter for the type of player he is. He'll get as hardened as he need to. He's one of those strong skinny rangey types you can't hurt. The fact he got cleaned up a couple of times yesterday by bigger players, and bounced straight up and kept playing well, is a tick not a cross.

Having said that, I'm glad I'm not making the call. Right now I'd be rapt if we got Jagga, FOS or Draper at no. 1.

Check this out. Its all there really. The extractions out of the packs at 2 and 3.2 minutes are doozies. And his kicking is not clinton king, a couple of long, low and accurate 45m passes in there. Which when squared with the pros, isn't much of a con.

I agree. What are we concerned about? The slender frame and that's about it?

Also the mix with players like Timmy T, Hop & Fridge works well with none of those guys near the end of their careers

Even though Jed Walters hasn’t set the world on fire yet, is there any key forward prospect that stands out like he did in his last year at junior level ?

Kevin Bartlett was a very slender frame yet excelled in a physically tough era.

Reactions: 3 users