2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Look at our last successful rebuild

2006: Jack 13, Shed 26
2007: Cotch 2, Rance 18
2008: BUST CITY, Bustathon, Peter Bobusto, 42 inch Bust, flip on 20 bust, Buster Rhymes, marble Bust of Julius Ceaser (but we did get Cuz, who had an impact on culture, and Ty eventually netted Shai)
2009: Dusty 3, DTLD 35, grimes PSD

What a beautiful read. A few lessons, putting top 3 picks aside, even if it is very important that they are nailed:

We nailed the late first and second round picks and even PSD. Massive. Beat the house. This was the difference.
We had a big bust year along the way. Percentage-wise, it will probably happen, but doesn't mean the main goal is compromised.
And for good measure you can add Grigg and Houli to that 2006 draft mix.

The perfect moneyball type trades that were worth much more more than what we paid.

That 2006 has delivered a number of premiership players and I not just talking about Richmond players.

Selwood
Nathan Brown
Riewoldt
Grigg
Edwards
Dawes
Josh Kennedy
Hawkins
Houli
Schoefield
Goldsack

Reactions: 1 user
Mick Jagga has tested sub 3 seconds for 20m Ezy.

Combine that with his elite agility and he can move.

Reckon his size (not height, but ability to put on weight) is a bigger (only?) drawback than any perceived lack of pace.
Can the kid play? Absolutley. His build long term is my big question mark.

I share your fears Leysy.

Thats why I am keen to see how he goes in our VFL team.

Want a dose of speed and power then take Urquhart mid draft. Is 190cm, has breakaway speed and gets lots of possessions. Jagga, Draper, FOS the cream add a Robert Wiley type for balance.

My dream would be two of either; JOS, Draper, Smillie, Smith, Reid and Langford. Followed by 2 of either Boxhall, Sims, Urquart and Hotton.
One can only dream!

No real fears here Smokin. Am one of his biggest fans on here.

Just pointing out probably the one area he has a ? mark. For Leysy anyway.

Look at our last successful rebuild

2006: Jack 13, Shed 26
2007: Cotch 2, Rance 18
2008: BUST CITY, Bustathon, Peter Bobusto, 42 inch Bust, flip on 20 bust, Buster Rhymes, marble Bust of Julius Ceaser (but we did get Cuz, who had an impact on culture, and Ty eventually netted Shai)
2009: Dusty 3, DTLD 35, grimes PSD

What a beautiful read. A few lessons, putting top 3 picks aside, even if it is very important that they are nailed:

We nailed the late first and second round picks and even PSD. Massive. Beat the house. This was the difference.
We had a big bust year along the way. Percentage-wise, it will probably happen, but doesn't mean the main goal is compromised.

So losing Baker and Rioli, (and trading low picks into one first round pick around 8-12) may make our draft hand similar or better than 2006/2007/2009 combined

Outside of the rare Dusty talent we could - yes yes if we pick well - pick up players similar ability levels to Cotchin, Jack, Rance, Shed, Grimes and Astbury

Tell me I dreaming but I think it is possible. Still would like to keep Rioli though

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So losing Baker and Rioli, (and trading low picks into one first round pick around 8-12) may make our draft hand similar or better than 2006/2007/2009 combined

Outside of the rare Dusty talent we could - yes yes if we pick well - pick up players similar ability levels to Cotchin, Jack, Rance, Shed, Grimes and Astbury

Tell me I dreaming but I think it is possible. Still would like to keep Rioli though
You’re dreaming

• Haha

hes a lot bigger than $hai?

I dont really get the size knock on a burst mid.

sheds, butters, Acker, Long, Cyril, $hai, Eddie, Dion, Kosi

sure you can't have 3 of 'em, but 1 is good.

yes, being black clearly helps when your 75kg

I reckon our Jagga will end up a pretty perfect 182/82

averaged 28 disposals bottom age Coates. the kids a freak

him and Sam Lalor would be a glorious, and realistically attainable, pairing

Last edited:
I don’t watch as much junior footy as many on here and haven’t seen much footage of Smillie, but to me, he looks like a player who has had it too easy playing against Junior’s for too long. Looks like he’s going at a canter.
Could make him a lazy, entitled footballer, or could mean he’s got levels he can go to if pressed.

I didn’t see him doing much that looked like 100% effort. You’d like to see him challenged and find out if he can lift his intensity, show some real power and drive. Cause he’ll need to to be a star in the AFL.
Well, he plays in the final this week at Marvel and I'd imagine every kid out there will be going at 100%. I suspect that at 194 cm and 18yo he's more gliding around doing it pretty easy and has levels to go once he's rock hard fit with a pre season or two.

Likely 2027 but hasnt been announced yet.
What HAS been announced is that the drafts won't be as badly compromised as they were when the Giants and the Suns came into the comp.

The AFL said they learned a lot of lessons about that and one of the main reasons the Suns in particular have struggled was that they had too many kids and not enough mature age players to balance their list and help the kids mature.

Consequently Tassie will get more concessions to recruit mature players from other clubs as well as some good picks.

yes.

wed have to take trevaglia or Isaac kako

with our first pick for us to feel botched I reckon.

and even then, our botched feeling could be short lived.

in Toce we trust.

hes on a bit of a passionfruit icing to everything

with his draft hand and the depth of quality of the stuff we need available

I reckon the highest pressure pick will be the first one we get for Bakes.

the kid needs to be at least as good as Bakes, for twice as long
IF we get picks for Bakes. He hasn't signed with anyone yet has he ? Let's not put the cart before the horse.

With Simpson gone and the Eagles still looking like rubbish our vice captain may decide to stay in the yellow and black.

The property he bought this year isn't his first investment property in Perth so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Reactions: 2 users
hes a lot bigger than $hai?

I dont really get the size knock on a burst mid.

sheds, butters, Acker, Long, Cyril, $hai, Eddie, Dion, Kosi

sure you can't have 3 of 'em, but 1 is good.

yes, being black clearly helps when your 75kg

I reckon our Jagga will end up a pretty perfect 182/82

averaged 28 disposals bottom age Coates. the kids a freak

him and Sam Lalor would be a glorious, and realistically attainable, pairing
Only 2 of those blokes are full time mids EZY.

And one of those blokes they call him Meatball.

I don’t watch as much junior footy as many on here and haven’t seen much footage of Smillie, but to me, he looks like a player who has had it too easy playing against Junior’s for too long. Looks like he’s going at a canter.
Could make him a lazy, entitled footballer, or could mean he’s got levels he can go to if pressed.

I didn’t see him doing much that looked like 100% effort. You’d like to see him challenged and find out if he can lift his intensity, show some real power and drive. Cause he’ll need to to be a star in the AFL.
We already have a slow midfield.
We need more Buzz.
FOS or Jagga thanks.

I just read that if Josh Battle accepts Hawthorns huge offer the Saints will get a top 10 compensation pick. As it stands now that’d be pick 6 (I think).
If I’m St Kilda and can somehow get two top 10 picks, I’m stoked.

Could get Trainor as the Battle upgrade. That would be quite the list management coup.

Reactions: 2 users
If I’m St Kilda and can somehow get two top 10 picks, I’m stoked.

Could get Trainor as the Battle upgrade. That would be quite the list management coup.

Pick 6 for josh battle could be the biggest overpay ever?

Polek for 11 territory

Apart from Draper, not sure where you're getting the "speed" part with any of FOS, Jagga, Lalor, Sims or Reid.

Whilst not slow, personally, they're not what I call speedy either. In fact, Shifter Sheahan who is the greatest pumper of kids and never says a bad word about any of them, said that in Reid's case his speed was just moderate and then likened him to Steele Sidebottom which is a good reference I reckon.

Plenty of talent amongst them, and I like them all and wouldn't be unhappy about getting any of them, but apart from Draper, the genuine speed factor is actually lacking amongst them. As somebody else pointed out the other day, its a bit of a lopers draft.
They're quick compared to our current mid set up.