2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Norf will beat St Kilda to Trainor.

there should be a grandfather/grandson rule.

maybe you pay a bit more than FS, but you get dibs.

Tom Green should be at Richmond,

and id be happy for Norf to get a discount on Trainor

Reactions: 1 user
But it won't end up being 2 inside 20 at all. That pick 20, will slide out at a minimum to 25, maybe even later and then it doesn't look quite as attractive.

I don't really want to trade Dan, but if we could include BOTH of their early 1st rounders into the equation (even if we have to give something later or in future years back - obviously not a 1st) then it has more merit.
Bend em over.
7 & 8 or get stuffed.
Dan is contracted.

Agree with that in totality, emptying everyone out hasn't worked.

Besdies our era, I look at Collingwood (built off father sons and some sound drafitng) at Sydney (built from Academy and some sound drafting) and I don't actually see a singular model that works just on drafting. You get into the mix of the 8 via sound drafting then it's free agency and trade. We are very much in that phase of needing to pull the core via the draft before we do anything else. If we slingshot next year (and I don't think we will) we still need to go to the draft.
Hawks of 04 was impressive.
(Buddy/Roughead & Lewis).Although they were gifted Buddy by a certain booper of a club.

let norf *smile* it up :rotfl1

there is an interesting side plot with Norf.

they have shitloads of mids and are short on KPD's; Luke Trainor is the best KPD in the pool and a top 5 talent and is Doug wades grandson.

I think its really likely Norf take Trainor wherever they sit in picks 1-5
If i was North i'd be knocking on STK's door.Pick 5 would still land them Trainor.

Reactions: 1 users
hes a lot bigger than $hai?

I dont really get the size knock on a burst mid.

sheds, butters, Acker, Long, Cyril, $hai, Eddie, Dion, Kosi

sure you can't have 3 of 'em, but 1 is good.

yes, being black clearly helps when your 75kg

I reckon our Jagga will end up a pretty perfect 182/82

averaged 28 disposals bottom age Coates. the kids a freak

him and Sam Lalor would be a glorious, and realistically attainable, pairing
Least we know he can get the ball.

What HAS been announced is that the drafts won't be as badly compromised as they were when the Giants and the Suns came into the comp.

The AFL said they learned a lot of lessons about that and one of the main reasons the Suns in particular have struggled was that they had too many kids and not enough mature age players to balance their list and help the kids mature.

Consequently Tassie will get more concessions to recruit mature players from other clubs as well as some good picks.
Next installment by John Ralph. Devils interest in Dusty.

• Haha
IF we get picks for Bakes. He hasn't signed with anyone yet has he ? Let's not put the cart before the horse.

With Simpson gone and the Eagles still looking like rubbish our vice captain may decide to stay in the yellow and black.

The property he bought this year isn't his first investment property in Perth so I wouldn't read too much into that.
Bakes signed yesterday.
(My granddaughters jumper)

• Love
Plenty will still change - But is there a mini breakaway of 9 players happening? At least in Leysy's mind there is.

In no particular order:

Levi Ashcroft
FoS
Big Willie Smillie
Leo Lombard
Mick Jagga
Sam Lawler
Sid Vicious Draper
Murphy Reid
Luke Trainor

No doubt others will still jump up and plenty will have favs like Allan, Langford, Sims and Co in that group. But is the across-the-board consensus that is the current elite group and there is a slight gap to the rest emerging?

Norf will beat St Kilda to Trainor.
If we take that as a given, right now I reckon the first six go like this... take out Ashcroft and Lombard, they are in this mix somehow.

1 Richmond Fos/Smillie
2 Norf Trainor/Smillie
3 West Coast Smillie/Draper
4 Crows - Draper/Smillie
5 St Kilda - Smillie/Smith
6 St Kilda- Reid /Smith

Crows and Saints might swap. But reckon the bottom three is locked.

Last edited:
Plenty will still change - But is there a mini breakaway of 9 players happening? At least in Leysy's mind there is.

In no particular order:

Levi Ashcroft
FoS
Big Willie Smillie
Leo Lombard
Mick Jagga
Sam Lawler
Sid Vicious Draper
Murphy Reid
Luke Trainor

No doubt others will still jump up and plenty will have favs like Allan, Langford, Sims and Co in that group. But is the across-the-board consensus that is the current elite group and there is a slight gap to the rest emerging?
Pretty much, add Taj Mahal Hotton

Reactions: 2 users
If we take that as a given, right now I reckon the first six go like this... take out Ashcroft and Lombard, they are in this mix somehow.

1 Richmond Fos/Smillie
2 Norf Trainor/Smillie
3 West Coast Smillie/Draper
4 Crows - Draper/Smillie
5 St Kilda - Smillie/Smith
6 St Kilda- Smillie /Smith

Crows and Saints might swap. But reckon the bottom three is locked.

Reckon that's prob pretty close, but there's only 5 players for 6 picks there Scooper. So a Lalor/Reid or someone will go to pick 6.

The way this is panning out, Brisbane and GC both must prepare for a bid at 1 to make sure of getting their men. There's a chance they both could go at 1, they are not favourites to but at the same time its by no means a long shot, and we have a history of bidding hard and bidding early.

Reactions: 2 users
The way this is panning out, Brisbane and GC both must prepare for a bid at 1 to make sure of getting their men. There's a chance they both could go at 1, they are not favourites to but at the same time its by no means a long shot, and we have a history of bidding hard and bidding early.
Well, they need to be dealing hard with us then because with the number 1 pick we can say we'll guarantee we won't bid on them at pick 1 if you put up something decent. Brisbane especially need to be positive with us. Problem with them though, is that Ambrogio is an ahole the equal of Dildoro.

I reckon the ACL will mean Hotton slides towards 20.
You're all over the picks/trading/fs/values of things. Who do you see us most likely dealing with - and in exchange for what - in order to exhaust the f/s requirements between Brisbane, GC, Carlton, Adelaide ?

Hopefully this article is wrong and pick purchasing comes in this year, it would seem the more logical of the new changes to come in this year, but then this is the AFL right!!

It would be perfect for our Dusty situation if he decides to go to GC. GC don't have a lot of cap you'd think and might need to trade player to bring in a Dusty or Dan Rioli for example, but if we could trade Dusty and salary cap (maybe half Dusty's wage etc) for a draft pick, it would be a solid deal for us, but its not available just yet. Not sure if they have a player on big wages that they want to dump like Bowes again to do it via the backdoor.

I reckon North will overtake West Coast, who I could easily see going winless in an attempt to steal pick 1.

Had a play with what I thought might happen:

1. Richmond - Vontae O'Cotchin
2. Gold Coast (matching West Coast bid) - Leo Lombard
3. Brisbane (matching West Coast bid) - Levi Ashcroft
4. West Coast - Sid Viscous
5. North Melbourne - Luke Trainor
6. St Kilda - Guy Smillie
7. Adelaide - Sam Lalor
8. Richmond - Jagga Bomb
9. Western Bulldogs (traded their future first to GC to get their own original pick back) - Murphy Reid
10. Hawthorn - Taj Hotton
11. Melbourne - Jobe Shanahan
12. Richmond (Freo's Collingwood pick for Baker) - Bo Allan

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
You're all over the picks/trading/fs/values of things. Who do you see us most likely dealing with - and in exchange for what - in order to exhaust the f/s requirements between Brisbane, GC, Carlton, Adelaide ?

I think GC is a given. Brisbane probably also likely. Carlton is a maybe, but I assume their pick will be late, but could be a possibility too.

Adelaide probably less likely, had they actually performed this year (and Welch didn't slide) then their 1st was probably a chance, but I'd say there is zero chance they will trade their 1st now and their next pick isn't until 29. They may well trade that back a little bit or into next year, or they potentially might look to trade that and a future 2nd to Carlton or Brissy for their 1sts, though Brissy really need picks this year.

I would say we should be targeting Gold Coast's (and that will mean trading some future picks, hence why if we get WC's 2nd this year and next I'm not as upset as others as I think it gives us a path back into 1 of GC's 1sts - at the end of the day GC don't really care what the pick number is for next year, just the value, as currently it looks as if they will be using them to match a Uwland bid in the top 3 anyway).

So short line - Gold Coast and Brisbane for me.

Reactions: 4 users