2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Definitely swing for the fences in that scenario. I’d almost give 15 and next years North second.
Let's not get tooo carried away.
lets not go from a quality hand in 2021 to being decimated in 2022.
We don't know how we will go next year.
Deal with the picks we have today and don't use any from next years draft.
Ask Collingwood

Reactions: 7 users
Doubtful the Saints will trade their pick if Ward is still on the table.

We take Ward with our pick and then aim to trade up for Saints pick for Hobbs. I don't think he would be their main focus, think they should be looking for pace. Sinn should be the player they are targeting IMO.

Getting fed up with the personal attacks specifically on this thread.

Can't we just play nice?
They are playing.
People's emotions are running over time.
90% of the Posters know that we struggle to find quality kids with our good picks and everyone is attacking each other.
Don't stress the Rookie Draft is where we rock' n Roll

Last edited:
Let's not get tooo carried away.
lets not go from a quality hand in 2021 to being decimated in 2022.
We don't know how we will go next year.
Deal with the picks we have today and don't use any from next years draft.
Ask Collingwood
Agree. We only have our first and two seconds left.
We might be in with a bid for a free agent but too late to be thinking of trading any of our remaining three picks.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree. We only have our first and two seconds left.
We might be in with a bid for a free agent but too late to be thinking of trading any of our remaining three picks.
I would've done the opposite.
Off load pick 7 and 15 and get a truck load of picks in the 20's +.
We seem to nail 2nd & 3rd rounders.
Our system of drafting seems more relaxed with later picks.
They select the kid that isn't fast 'Graham', the kid that might not hang around 'Bolton', The older kid 'Broad'.
No way should we be destroying our next years draft because of 1 kid this year.

Doubtful the Saints will trade their pick if Ward is still on the table.
Everyone has a price.
Surely they'll be looking at getting an extra 1st next year in what would a be a huge carrot in getting the king Brothers together.
We do have norths pick up our sleeve.

I would've done the opposite.
Off load pick 7 and 15 and get a truck load of picks in the 20's +.
We seem to nail 2nd & 3rd rounders.
Our system of drafting seems more relaxed with later picks.
They select the kid that isn't fast 'Graham', the kid that might not hang around 'Bolton', The older kid 'Broad'.
No way should we be destroying our next years draft because of 1 kid this year.
You are pretty pessimistic. Certainly we have a great hit rate with later picks and rookies.
This year we get it all.
Also I was talking about next years picks! (6751)

Last edited:
You are seriously underestimating the impact he could have.
Not really, I think he's a solid selection, he lacks a bit of pace, kicking depth & ability to link up on the outside. Unfortunately you can't teach many of these shortcomings. He will be a solid pick but how much better is he than McDonald who will go in the second round?

With the club throwing 3 first rounders at Horne-Francis I find it difficult to rate Hobbs as the superstar many in the media are making out. I keep hearing that he's rated as a top 5 prospect yet it looks like he'll be available at pick 9, that in itself doesn't add up. I don't think he's a bad pick but there is potential for some serious egg on face with some of the taller midfielders likely to pass him once they put on a bit of mass.

In all honesty, if the club wants some balance & value at each selection then grab Johnson, Goater, Taylor & McDonald, that is a fully functioning engine room. No further parts needed, not in this draft anyway.

Probably right, although he has finally found his spot in the midfield, this is his best shot at a recall.
I’m always an advocate for recruiting from the state league but Hibberd is another zero chance to be drafted.

But I’ll give you one who should be (and probably will by one of the SA clubs), Tom Lewis from Sturt. 22 in Feb next year, established physique for AFL footy, good tackler, wins his own ball, nice left foot. Won the SA equivalent of the rising star this year.

Reactions: 1 user
They are playing.
People's emotions are running over time.
90% of the Posters know that we struggle to find quality kids with our good picks and everyone is attacking each other.

No, there's a difference between having a healthy debate and personal attacks.

Debate is good because it stimulates conversation. Personal attacks are childish and have no place here. If people want to do the latter, then that's what DM's are for.

Mods really need to be on top of this.

Reactions: 11 users
No, there's a difference between having a healthy debate and personal attacks.

Debate is good because it stimulates conversation. Personal attacks are childish and have no place here. If people want to do the latter, then that's what DM's are for.

Mods really need to be on top of this.
agreed

Ignore function has its limits

I’m always an advocate for recruiting from the state league but Hibberd is another zero chance to be drafted.

But I’ll give you one who should be (and probably will by one of the SA clubs), Tom Lewis from Sturt. 22 in Feb next year, established physique for AFL footy, good tackler, wins his own ball, nice left foot. Won the SA equivalent of the rising star this year.
I was a big Lewis fan in his draft year, I think I even asked the question at the start of this thread whether he was that much inferior to Hobbs, it's a salient point, and you have to compare him to Brodie as well.

As for Hibberd, his KE has improved this year, that has been a noticeable difference, I think it's the fact he's purely inside now, very unsuited to the wing given his kicking isn't accurate enough. I didn't realise he was 25, that probably deals him out of another chance but you never know.

Post of the year.
*smile* the ND.
Who's the guns in the Rookie draft?
Castagna Bulter Short Grimes
Don’t mean to nitpick, but Butler was taken ND and Grimes PSD.
But I definitely get get where you are coming from, we do so well when there is little to no expectation on the kids.
You can add Baker to that list also !

I think the negatives here on Hobbs are over the top. If you are a mid who averages 29 disposals you cannot be 'slow' you are where the ball is. Not slow in thinking not manic in arriving first at the wrong place. Best to concentrate on the players elite aspects and build on them. All the kids have positives and negatives (e.g. lack of intensity from Johnson) I prefer to identify any elite aspect and live with the above average remainder.

Reactions: 9 users
Apologies if this has been covered but are we actually keen on Hobbs or is this just the media assuming as our clearance rate is poor we’d naturally want him? Does anyone know how he tested with regards to speed and endurance?
With similar types such as Ross and Martyn on our list I’m starting to think maybe we look elsewhere and target say a Johnson who is certainly unique when it comes to our playing list.

Reactions: 3 users
Not really, I think he's a solid selection, he lacks a bit of pace, kicking depth & ability to link up on the outside. Unfortunately you can't teach many of these shortcomings. He will be a solid pick but how much better is he than McDonald who will go in the second round?

With the club throwing 3 first rounders at Horne-Francis I find it difficult to rate Hobbs as the superstar many in the media are making out. I keep hearing that he's rated as a top 5 prospect yet it looks like he'll be available at pick 9, that in itself doesn't add up. I don't think he's a bad pick but there is potential for some serious egg on face with some of the taller midfielders likely to pass him once they put on a bit of mass.

In all honesty, if the club wants some balance & value at each selection then grab Johnson, Goater, Taylor & McDonald, that is a fully functioning engine room. No further parts needed, not in this draft anyway.
Johnson, Goater, Taylor & McDonald would be the dream… fingers crossed on draft night

As we slowly get closer to draft day I find myself coming full circle back to some of the mids I'd kept an eye early.
The strange thing for me here is I found myself with 2 of the mids in this draft I've been more critical of for differing reasons.
This mentality is from a pure on the ball mid that can clear from the inside and from the same category as Hobb's.

Matthew Roberts & Angus Sheldrick. My only knock with Roberts is purely his leg speed which I still believe to be true but I'm left wondering have I been too critical of that leg speed.
His natural ability is higher than most mids in this draft IMO and could very well be the slider that turns out to be rolled gold.
Sheldrick on the other hand just gets things done and my knock on him early was really due to what I believe to be not much of a non preferred skill set.
The closer you look at Sheldrick the more I can't help but think this guy should be on our radar, a lot of Lachie Neale about the way he goes about his game.

Some of the other well known bigger bodied mids have been well and truly discussed but a couple of smokey's I'll be interested to see what happens with are
Kade Dittmar & Mani Liddy.
Liddy's work around the stoppage is quite good and disposal is good enough to be looked at all be it not from an early part of the draft type of selection.

Dittmar on the other hand has a lot of Worpel about his game, tough and just gets in at the coal face, another that might be viewed for that strong on ball type player perspective.

As we slowly get closer to draft day I find myself coming full circle back to some of the mids I'd kept an eye early.
The strange thing for me here is I found myself with 2 of the mids in this draft I've been more critical of for differing reasons.
This mentality is from a pure on the ball mid that can clear from the inside and from the same category as Hobb's.

Matthew Roberts & Angus Sheldrick. My only knock with Roberts is purely his leg speed which I still believe to be true but I'm left wondering have I been too critical of that leg speed.
His natural ability is higher than most mids in this draft IMO and could very well be the slider that turns out to be rolled gold.
Sheldrick on the other hand just gets things done and my knock on him early was really due to what I believe to be not much of a non preferred skill set.
The closer you look at Sheldrick the more I can't help but think this guy should be on our radar, a lot of Lachie Neale about the way he goes about his game.

Some of the other well known bigger bodied mids have been well and truly discussed but a couple of smokey's I'll be interested to see what happens with are
Kade Dittmar & Mani Liddy.
Liddy's work around the stoppage is quite good and disposal is good enough to be looked at all be it not from an early part of the draft type of selection.

Dittmar on the other hand has a lot of Worpel about his game, tough and just gets in at the coal face, another that might be viewed for that strong on ball type player perspective.
I also had Dittmar as a smokey (but omitted him to stir up some discussion about Mitch Hibberd). I fully concur with the assessment & Worpel is a good barometer. His ceiling might be a tad bit limited but he's as ready to go as any player outside the top 10.