2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

If its a choice between Johnson v Hobbs i would also take Johnson
192cm 90kgs (after 12 months in our system) dont come along too often that have the skill set and athleticism Johnson has

"by placing third nationally in the agility test, sixth in the standing vertical jump and seventh in the running vertical. He also ran a 20m sprint time under three seconds."

Sounds like a pretty good pick #9
Like Johnson,now would love a side by side comparison with rcd for 20metre sprint, agility test, endurance test etc .

No, there's a difference between having a healthy debate and personal attacks.

Debate is good because it stimulates conversation. Personal attacks are childish and have no place here. If people want to do the latter, then that's what DM's are for.

Mods really need to be on top of this.
Where's the principals office?

Like Johnson,now would love a side by side comparison with rcd for 20metre sprint, agility test, endurance test etc .
RCD had major issues with the tank, bottom 10%, his sprint was good & agility also better than average. Johnson has the tank, so no obvious weakness. People talk about intensity but it's like criticising Pendlebury for not lying at the bottom of packs.

18. Riley Collier-Dawkins
Oakleigh Chargers/Victoria Metro
Inside Midfielder
Height: 193cm Weight: 88kg

uXyMeos.jpg

Player Projection: Clayton Oliver

In stockmarket parlance RCD is a potential 10 bagger, you could walk away with a small fortune or you could wind up penniless. Despite having him in my top 10 just about all year I’ve left him this late because I’m deeply concerned about his running ability. Whilst I’ve set the bar at Clayton Oliver, this could also turn out to be another Tom Bell situation & the recruiter who takes him needs to be prepared to cop flack in the event he falters. On the flipside RCD has many tools that appeal, his acceleration his top shelf, he has the height and he has proven to be a big game player. As to whether he can take those qualities to the next level rests largely on his work ethic & attitude.

I’m always an advocate for recruiting from the state league but Hibberd is another zero chance to be drafted.

But I’ll give you one who should be (and probably will by one of the SA clubs), Tom Lewis from Sturt. 22 in Feb next year, established physique for AFL footy, good tackler, wins his own ball, nice left foot. Won the SA equivalent of the rising star this year.
27. Tom Lewis
Sturt/South Australia
Inside Midfielder
Height: 179 cm Weight: 78 kg

98tq0JD.jpg

Player Projection: Taylor Adams

Every year there’s a guy who hardly rates a mention but who stands out like dogs balls as a perfect AFL match. This year I’m giving that distinction to the human cannonball Tom Lewis. I’ve likened him to Taylor Adams who ended up going at pick 13, both players have that thick set build & both do their best work in tight. Lewis is the type who can still keep his calm with guys quite literally hanging off him, his short stocky legs the perfect counterweight to the chaos that usually ensues. As for his CV, he already has a Reserves B&F, this from just 12 games (he polled in 11). He also won the yo-yo test at the state combine, so he will be ready to roll from day one. I don’t expect him to go this early in the draft but at pick 40 odd he would be my number one priority.

Reactions: 1 user
If we choose Hobbs with our first I think we get a player who plays like Joel Selwood, circa 2021.
Fire in the belly and plenty of inside skills but can’t keep up when it moves out side.
The stand rule puts a premium on midfielders who have great speed and can kick with great accuracy.
More players in this mould are going to be preferred to those who are on the slow side, which will make it even more difficult for players like Hobbs to find a suitable match up when defending.

We should be shooting for the spectacular. Three of Erasmus, Johnson, Sonsie, Fejo or Butler in that order, would be ideal. Four would be perfect.

Yes true the stand on the mark rule puts a premium on good foot skills, speed is a bonus that Melbourne exploited perfectly, the cats have sublime foot skills across the park and exploited the rule to a tee, but don't have the speed to match. Port also don't have the quickest mids but they win the ball and are generally good ball users.

Hobbs has very good foot skills, his breakaway speed from a contest is fine. Straight-line speed is ok, he's not super fast but he ain't slow.

Clearances and winning the ball is No 1 and Petracca and Oliver got the ball moving forward more times than not. Hobbs immediately improves us in this area.

If Hobbs is off the table, then Erasmus or Johnson id be more than happy with. Butler, I rate highly. Ronald Fejo Jnr is an excitement machine with pace to match.

There is so much talent up to the 30's that if we miss on one player others will be waiting in the wings. One of Hobbs, Erasmus, Johnson, Gibcus , Rachele makes it to our first pick.
Pick 17 Butler, Sonsie, Goater, Taylor, Van Rooyen again one will get to us. 2nd rounders, Wilmot, Murley, MacDonald, Howes, Fego, Tom Brown, Williams, Bazzo, Alleer Clarke, Sheldrick etc
I am super excited about this draft and can't wait for it to arrive.

Not sure how much of Hobbs you have seen but the first vid goes for almost 5 mins, the 2nd a min and a half. I like his work around the contest and gets out of heavy congestion which is another fine attribute. Also has good composure with ball in hand and doesn't mind kicking a goal.
I'd say he has a bit off Selwood and Wines about him and If he's half as good as them we'll have a beauty on our hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
27. Tom Lewis
Sturt/South Australia
Inside Midfielder

98tq0JD.jpg

Every year there’s a guy who hardly rates a mention but who stands out like dogs balls as a perfect AFL match. This year I’m giving that distinction to the human cannonball Tom Lewis. I’ve likened him to Taylor Adams who ended up going at pick 13, both players have that thick set build & both do their best work in tight. Lewis is the type who can still keep his calm with guys quite literally hanging off him, his short stocky legs the perfect counterweight to the chaos that usually ensues. As for his CV, he already has a Reserves B&F, this from just 12 games (he polled in 11). He also won the yo-yo test at the state combine, so he will be ready to roll from day one. I don’t expect him to go this early in the draft but at pick 40 odd he would be my number one priority.
When I watched him he reminded me of a less squibby version of Dylan Shiel.

When I watched him he reminded me of a less squibby version of Dylan Shiel.
Doesn't quite have the same run and carry but I can see where you're coming from. I think Matt Rowell could be opening a few doors for the sub 180cm guys, hopefully Lewis gets his chance, his work to date justifies a rookie selection.

Most will laugh at Leysy here, but actually think Hobbs is a rough chance to get to our pick 15.

Only takes one club to take him and he might go earlyish, but think it has more likelihood than what the concensus thinks (which is zero chance).

If it happens you heard it here first. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Not really, I think he's a solid selection, he lacks a bit of pace, kicking depth & ability to link up on the outside. Unfortunately you can't teach many of these shortcomings. He will be a solid pick but how much better is he than McDonald who will go in the second round?

With the club throwing 3 first rounders at Horne-Francis I find it difficult to rate Hobbs as the superstar many in the media are making out. I keep hearing that he's rated as a top 5 prospect yet it looks like he'll be available at pick 9, that in itself doesn't add up. I don't think he's a bad pick but there is potential for some serious egg on face with some of the taller midfielders likely to pass him once they put on a bit of mass.

In all honesty, if the club wants some balance & value at each selection then grab Johnson, Goater, Taylor & McDonald, that is a fully functioning engine room. No further parts needed, not in this draft anyway.
Do we actually know any of Hobbs' running numbers or is it pure speculation that he is slow?

Most will laugh at Leysy here, but actually think Hobbs is a rough chance to get to our pick 15.

Only takes one club to take him and he might go earlyish, but think it has more likelihood than what the concensus thinks (which is zero chance).

No chance Leysy, if he is there at pick 9 we will grab him.

Reactions: 1 users
RCD had major issues with the tank, bottom 10%, his sprint was good & agility also better than average. Johnson has the tank, so no obvious weakness. People talk about intensity but it's like criticising Pendlebury for not lying at the bottom of packs.

18. Riley Collier-Dawkins
Oakleigh Chargers/Victoria Metro
Inside Midfielder
Height: 193cm Weight: 88kg

uXyMeos.jpg

Player Projection: Clayton Oliver

In stockmarket parlance RCD is a potential 10 bagger, you could walk away with a small fortune or you could wind up penniless. Despite having him in my top 10 just about all year I’ve left him this late because I’m deeply concerned about his running ability. Whilst I’ve set the bar at Clayton Oliver, this could also turn out to be another Tom Bell situation & the recruiter who takes him needs to be prepared to cop flack in the event he falters. On the flipside RCD has many tools that appeal, his acceleration his top shelf, he has the height and he has proven to be a big game player. As to whether he can take those qualities to the next level rests largely on his work ethic & attitude.

27. Tom Lewis
Sturt/South Australia
Inside Midfielder

98tq0JD.jpg

I reckon Collier Dawkins has 12 months to improve his running ability or he will join the long list of first rounder failures.
Im not convinced besides a burst of speed he has anything else to his game . His game against Collingwood was delist quality.
We are losing more first rounders then the Las Vegas Raiders

• Haha

Everyone has pretty much the same 10-12, but if some club does a 'Conca' we could end with 2 mids. But Im not getting excited about our early picks. Im watching day 2 when picks 55 and the Rookies will be selected.

Where is that laughing emoji???

Love your work Leysy but that aint happening. We wouldnt be able to call his name out quick enough if on the board at 9.

Not beyond the realms of possibility. I would be more comfortable with Hobbs in the teens than top 10. A Johnson/Erasmus/Ward and Hobbs combo with an Alleer/Bazzo in the 30s would be a great balance.

He's not slow,he isn't super fast ,but certainly not slow.
People should look more at actual matches,rather than combine results .
It's more about metres gained, or at least that's where I'm coming from. Correct me if I'm wrong but Hobbs is usually first or second in the possession chain? Not too many bounces? If I'm completely off point then happy to be corrected.

You haven't watched him much ,yes he's around the coal face ,but he also links up around the ground ,he's a work horse he just keeps going .
His disposals are usually effective ,he's a great reader of the play etc etc etc .

People should really find the time to watch some Nab games instead of highlights ,and then they might get a better understanding of some player's ,or maybe they won't :p

Reactions: 3 users
You haven't watched him much ,yes he's around the coal face ,but he also links up around the ground ,he's a work horse he just keeps going .
His disposals are usually effective ,he's a great reader of the play etc etc etc .

People should really find the time to watch some Nab games instead of highlights ,and then they might get a better understanding of some player's ,or maybe they won't :p
I have watched the trial games & I didn't note too many bounces, this is why I prefer Ward who comes across as a more rounded midfielder.