2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Just a totally different look as an alternative , What would peoples thoughts be on a completely different set up that included 4-5 mids that are 190cm+

Johnson (7) , Goater (15), Knevitt (26) if all available at our picks combined with RCD & even Ross
We certainly have the small mids to go along with them in Prestia,Bolton & Graham

Full Beast Mode
The first two selections are pure upside, these are the guys I think can push for A grade, Goater's clearance work has gone under the radar a bit but this is an area that could potentially propel a midfield, his handballing in tight is slick. You then have the finishing skills of Johnson on the outside and suddenly it's land of the giants. Not overly keen on Knevitt but Howes interests me a lot.

Reactions: 3 users
The first two selections are pure upside, these are the guys I think can push for A grade, Goater's clearance work has gone under the radar a bit but this is an area that could potentially propel a midfield, his handballing in tight is slick. You then have the finishing skills of Johnson on the outside and suddenly it's land of the giants. Not overly keen on Knevitt but Howes interests me a lot.
It would certainly open up the team to anther dimension with the bigger mids in combination with the smalls we currently have in there , Knevitt at the later picks i could live with and he does have the ability to get the ball and the athletic attributes

Reactions: 1 users
Essendon, West Coast, GWS, St Kilda, Brisbane, all good chances to take him.
Essendon would be most likely with St Kilda , Dont think the eagles would if the WA mids are still on the board but its hard to tell
Some mock/phantoms have him later in the 1st round

Essendon would be most likely with St Kilda , Dont think the eagles would if the WA mids are still on the board but its hard to tell
Some mock/phantoms have him later in the 1st round
If we take Johnson and Freo takes Erasmus, West Coast potentially takes Goater. Or St Kilda does, or Essendon, or Port, GWS or Brisbane. I think he goes somewhere between 10-16. Wouldn't mind being wrong, but if not, Johnson and Butler or Sonsie (or both if we can trade up) is a good result.

Reactions: 1 users
The comparisons to Pendlebury are very apt. He looks so balanced and composed. Wouldn't hesitate to take him at 9. After watching a fair bit of the U19s over the last few weeks and reading all of the commentary etc. my preferred selections are:

9. Ward / Johnson / Erasmus / Rachele (I'm not a Hobbs fan....not enough attributes)
17. Amiss / Sonsie / Sinn / JVR (I'm not a Goater fan...disposal too suspect for his role and not enough proven midfield form)
30. Alleer / Bazzo
31. Murley / Knevitt
32. Sheldrick / Taylor / Owens

I don't mind Johnson or Erasmus (Ward more than likely the hawks will pick), but surely you jest with Hobbs not having enough attributes, he's one of if not the best inside mid in the pool. Good decision-maker, tough as nails around the clinches, tackles with ferocity, wins a lot of his own ball. This is exactly the type of midfielder that we need. Ben also has strong leadership qualities.

5. Ben Hobbs (GWV Rebels)

Any club with a top-end pick looking for a contested possession winner should look at this guy. The 183cm inside midfielder is a master at winning the ball at the coalface while his clearance work is excellent thanks to his quick hands. Yet unlike a lot of inside midfielders, Hobbs has great composure with the ball when in tight, often opting against thumping the ball forward by foot. Excluding one match where he got injured, he averaged 29.2 disposals, 6.2 clearances and kicked 0.8 goals in the NAB League. But Hobbs was arguably more impressive in the trial matches, averaging 31.5 disposals and 1.5 goals from those two games.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Not sure there are any worthwhile KPF's but if it was Blair Hartley making the same requests I'd probably retort by advocating a swingman instead, that would mean grabbing van Rooyen at 17.

9. Johnson (tall mid)
17. van Rooyen (key position swingman)
30. McDonald (inside mid)
31. Howes (wingman)
32. Fejo Jnr (small forward)

Pretty good kicks across the board, not best of the best, you would have to use pick 17 to grab one of the elite guys like Sonsie & Taylor.
Wouldn't mind Taylor or one I'm liking is Tom Brown Bullus hit.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there will be a couple of outright stars in this batch but I doubt it will be Hobbs, I think you will get a guaranteed 100 games but without speed the upside is limited.
You are seriously underestimating the impact he could have.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't mind Johnson or Erasmus (Ward more than likely the hawks will pick), but surely you jest with Hobbs not having enough attributes, he's one of if not the best inside mid in the pool. Good decision-maker, tough as nails around the clinches, tackles with ferocity, wins a lot of his own ball. This is exactly the type of midfielder that we need. Ben also has strong leadership qualities.

Any club with a top-end pick looking for a contested possession winner should look at this guy. The 183cm inside midfielder is a master at winning the ball at the coalface while his clearance work is excellent thanks to his quick hands. Yet unlike a lot of inside midfielders, Hobbs has great composure with the ball when in tight, often opting against thumping the ball forward by foot. Excluding one match where he got injured, he averaged 29.2 disposals, 6.2 clearances and kicked 0.8 goals in the NAB League. But Hobbs was arguably more impressive in the trial matches, averaging 31.5 disposals and 1.5 goals from those two games.
Every pundit is rating him as a top 5 prospect. He is pure midfielder. Lock him in.

Reactions: 4 users
Getting fed up with the personal attacks specifically on this thread.

Can't we just play nice?

Reactions: 22 users
Oh, and a Hobbs/Ward or Hobbs/Johnson, Ward/Johnson combo would be amazing if we didn't have to break the bank trading up.

Reactions: 2 users

If we choose Hobbs with our first I think we get a player who plays like Joel Selwood, circa 2021.
Fire in the belly and plenty of inside skills but can’t keep up when it moves out side.
The stand rule puts a premium on midfielders who have great speed and can kick with great accuracy.
More players in this mould are going to be preferred to those who are on the slow side, which will make it even more difficult for players like Hobbs to find a suitable match up when defending.

We should be shooting for the spectacular. Three of Erasmus, Johnson, Sonsie, Fejo or Butler in that order, would be ideal. Four would be perfect.

Reactions: 3 users