2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Apologies if this has been covered but are we actually keen on Hobbs or is this just the media assuming as our clearance rate is poor we’d naturally want him? Does anyone know how he tested with regards to speed and endurance?
With similar types such as Ross and Martyn on our list I’m starting to think maybe we look elsewhere and target say a Johnson who is certainly unique when it comes to our playing list.

Good point @Stewlander for the most part it looks like pre-enders have all but written off RCD Martyn Ross & Dow, I'd argue that all these are inside mids with Dow the most adaptable to another role. I am confident two of these will make the grade, (which doesn't mean stars), don't see A graders amongst them but reckon Riley and Dow can be solid B graders in time. Our A grade mid future is Shai.
I hope our recruiting team only go for 1 inside mid in this draft and some serious upside types amongst our other selections, (I guess a bag of Liquorice allsorts is what I am after).

Think I'll be happy with our 1st pick regardless, I won't even throw a tanty if they went tall if Gibcus or Mac were on the board.

Reactions: 2 users
I have watched the trial games & I didn't note too many bounces, this is why I prefer Ward who comes across as a more rounded midfielder.
Watch some Nab matches,and l think Hobbs first match back after 7-8 weeks injured was the first trial match

Reactions: 1 user
If we choose Hobbs with our first I think we get a player who plays like Joel Selwood, circa 2021.
Fire in the belly and plenty of inside skills but can’t keep up when it moves out side.
The stand rule puts a premium on midfielders who have great speed and can kick with great accuracy.
More players in this mould are going to be preferred to those who are on the slow side, which will make it even more difficult for players like Hobbs to find a suitable match up when defending.

We should be shooting for the spectacular. Three of Erasmus, Johnson, Sonsie, Fejo or Butler in that order, would be ideal. Four would be perfect.
Yep prefer genius rather than work horse grunt for 1st.

Real risky draft this one.

Pick 9 could be 1 of 10 players almost.

Fascinating.

Us having 5 picks inside 30 means me may end up with 5 players inside our top 15 ranked.

Doesn't mean we ranked them correctly, but, we are definitely going to get " I cant believe he was available at our pick"

Reactions: 2 users
Good point @Stewlander for the most part it looks like pre-enders have all but written off RCD Martyn Ross & Dow, I'd argue that all these are inside mids with Dow the most adaptable to another role. I am confident two of these will make the grade, (which doesn't mean stars), don't see A graders amongst them but reckon Riley and Dow can be solid B graders in time. Our A grade mid future is Shai.
I hope our recruiting team only go for 1 inside mid in this draft and some serious upside types amongst our other selections, (I guess a bag of Liquorice allsorts is what I am after).

Think I'll be happy with our 1st pick regardless, I won't even throw a tanty if they went tall if Gibcus or Mac were on the board.
I don't think those player's you have mentioned are written off,but we will need replacements for Cotch,and Shed ,and Martyn only got a 1 year contract .
I think this is the year to do it,but if Gibcus happens to be at our pick,l wouldn't have time to blink ,and call his name,if l was Clarke :LOL: 12 year + kp would be great.

Reactions: 1 users
Most will laugh at Leysy here, but actually think Hobbs is a rough chance to get to our pick 15.

Only takes one club to take him and he might go earlyish, but think it has more likelihood than what the concensus thinks (which is zero chance).

If it happens you heard it here first. :D
Not laughing at all.

Reckon the fact that he has the skippers poster on his bedroom wall colours (inY&B) peoples perspective somewhat. Concerned about the limitations & IMO too high at 7 considering other options that will be available.

Not at all, would love all of them to make it but if 2 become regular mids that'll be great. Can't have enough inside/outside mids.
In the next 2-3 years Cotchin and Edwards will be gone. Dusty by then one would think would be playing more as a forward. Lambert, Prestia will be 31 and Pickett would be 32 and likely superseded.

So if we can grab min 3 mids that's the next group to go along with the likes of RCD, Martyn, Ross & Dow.

I have watched the trial games & I didn't note too many bounces, this is why I prefer Ward who comes across as a more rounded midfielder.
Yep want a player that will do something exceptional with the ball for our first. Hobbs is very conservative in the way he uses it.

Most will laugh at Leysy here, but actually think Hobbs is a rough chance to get to our pick 15.

Only takes one club to take him and he might go earlyish, but think it has more likelihood than what the concensus thinks (which is zero chance).

The only feasible situation I think that could play out is if Hobbs and Gibcus are available at 9. We take Gibcus instead of Hobbs because we think Hobbs has a greater chance of reaching us at 17 then Gibcus.
Pick 1 - JHF
Pick 2 - Daicos
Pick 3 - Darcy
Pick 4 - Andrew
Pick 5 - Callaghan
Pick 6 - Rachele
Pick 7 - Ward
Pick 8 - Johnson/Amiss/Erasmus

The only feasible situation I think that could play out is if Hobbs and Gibcus are available at 9. We take Gibcus instead of Hobbs because we think Hobbs has a greater chance of reaching us at 17 then Gibcus.
Pick 1 - JVR
Pick 2 - Daicos
Pick 3 - Darcy
Pick 4 - Andrew
Pick 5 - Callaghan
Pick 6 - Rachele
Pick 7 - Ward
van Rooyen at 1 is a typo?

• Haha
Pick 1 - JVR
Pick 2 - Daicos
Pick 3 - Darcy
Pick 4 - Andrew
Pick 5 - Callaghan
Pick 6 - Rachele
Pick 7 - Ward
Jeeper G...JVR at 1!

Would be disappointed if we took him at 26....

Edit: Beat me to it Bully..

• Haha
Pick 1 - JHF
Pick 2 - Daicos
Pick 3 - Darcy
Pick 4 - Andrew
Pick 5 - Callaghan
Pick 6 - Rachele
Pick 7 - Ward
van Rooyen at 1 is a typo?
Wrong hyphen....hope #lolnorf get it right on the night!

Yep want a player that will do something exceptional with the ball for our first. Hobbs is very conservative in the way he uses it.
It's also about recruiting a nice blend of players, you can't just grab inside mids if you want a fully functioning midfield, quality ball users are essential. If we go Hobbs at 9, Butler at 17 and McDonald at 30ish, have we missed a golden opportunity to grab some elite kicks?

@Leysy Days is probably right.

Hobbs is going to have be pretty talented to make it .

183cm mid paced , mid skilled, elite desperation, elite CP, and leadership.

The only other player with this athletic profile and playing style that has been a star was Joel Selwood ?

Can't think of many others in the last 10 years.

I am missing something ?

Real risky draft this one.

Pick 9 could be 1 of 10 players almost.

Fascinating.

Us having 5 picks inside 30 means me may end up with 5 players inside our top 15 ranked.

Doesn't mean we ranked them correctly, but, we are definitely going to get " I cant believe he was available at our pick"
I hope so Niko.

@Leysy Days is probably right.

Hobbs is going to have be pretty talented to make it .

183cm mid paced , mid skilled, elite desperation, elite CP, and leadership.

The only other player with this athletic profile and playing style that has been a star was Joel Selwood ?

Can't think of many others in the last 10 years.

I am missing something ?
Also finds a lot of footy and kicks goals. Looks better overhead than Selwood.

Think its a fair comment, I personally think he goes before then but the likely hood is very possible.