2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Not sure there are any worthwhile KPF's but if it was Blair Hartley making the same requests I'd probably retort by advocating a swingman instead, that would mean grabbing van Rooyen at 17.

9. Johnson (tall mid)
17. van Rooyen (key position swingman)
30. McDonald (inside mid)
31. Howes (wingman)
32. Fejo Jnr (small forward)

Pretty good kicks across the board, not best of the best, you would have to use pick 17 to grab one of the elite guys like Sonsie & Taylor.
Yes. I’ve seen plenty on this thread suggesting we take 4 mid size players and one kp player and that’s probably ok if we can pick someone up in the future in a trade or free agency. I do agree that picking kp players just because you need them is dangerous, better to take the chance on getting one elsewhere than picking one who isn’t good enough.

Reactions: 2 users
If we don't pick up Van hooganband
It will sit comfortably alongside the Pavlich *smile* up.

Forget your boom and busts just lock in the bloke who will rack up 200 plus games and possibly captain the club - Hobbs.

Reactions: 9 users
Boom:

- Johnson
- JVR
- Alleer
- Murley

Bust:
- Hobbs
- Andrew
- Goater
Hobbs??? WTF! The biggest sure thing to make the grade. He might not be the one with the biggest X factor but he will rack up plenty of AFL games. The bloke who will be built for finals football.

Reactions: 1 user
Forget your boom and busts just lock in the bloke who will rack up 200 plus games and possibly captain the club - Hobbs.
Hobbs has a pretty safe floor. It's hard to see him being a complete bust. I think he ends up a Callan Ward clone.

Reactions: 6 users
m Twomey & Nat Edwards on the AFL website:

WATCH: https://www.afl.com.au/video/686917/draft-whispers-pick-swaps-what-will-hawks-blues-crows-do-

Summary:

* A bit of a holding pattern at the moment but discussions going on behind the scenes. Clubs have got until next Monday to do pick swaps otherwise they will have to wait to do them on draft night.

* Giants likely to take pick 2 to the draft. Gold Coast, Adelaide, Hawthorn & Richmond all have been interested in moving up.

* Dogs' pick 23: Collingwood, Sydney & Geelong interested in that pick.

* Port is looking to get another pick inside the top 30.

* Essendon throwing up its future 2nd for trade to get another 2nd round pick in this draft.

* Carlton are willing to put their pick 25 up for trade.

* Rachele linked to Adelaide at pick 4 (6 after bids) for a while. Others that would be good for the Crows: Simms, Wanganeen-Milera. Crows can't push back in the draft for Rachele as he'll be gone but do the Crows push back if they want Wanganeen-Milera?

* Callaghan will be gone before Hawks' pick 5 (7 after bids). Ward, Hobbs and Andrew will be available. Johnson has also attracted interest from the Hawks.

* Connor MacDonald linked to the Blues at pick 25. Judson Clarke and Zac Taylor will also be available at that stage of the draft.

* GWS linked to making a bid on Owens (St Kilda's academy). That could happen at pick 13 (15 after bids). If they don't bid then there's a better chance he falls outside the top 20 and to the Saints.

Reactions: 5 users
Hobbs has a pretty safe floor. It's hard to see him being a complete bust. I think he ends up a Callan Ward clone.
If he ends up half as good as Ward we should be singing.
Ward is a gun footballer

Reactions: 4 users
1. Daicos
2. Horne-Francis
3. Darcy
4. Gibcus
5. Andrew
6. Callaghan
7. Rachele
8. Erasmus

So left on the table are Ward & Hobbs, think you have to take Ward if it's between the two.
Or Johnson, he looks like someone with a huge upside.
His size in what is a new era of footy maybe gives him an edge but both he and Ward look like excellent prospects.

Reactions: 2 users
Good nuggets, is it feasible that Ward might be a possibility?

JHF, bid- Daicos, bid - Darcy, Andrew, Gibcus, Rachelle, Callaghan .... one of Hobbs, Johnson , Ward going to be there.

Reactions: 1 user
Or Johnson, he looks like someone with a huge upside.
His size in what is a new era of footy maybe gives him an edge but both he and Ward look like excellent prospects.
He's my favourite, just looks built for natural development, a lot more inside than some of the profiles would suggest.

JHF, bid- Daicos, bid - Darcy, Andrew, Gibcus, Rachelle, Callaghan .... one of Hobbs, Johnson , Ward going to be there.
Very feasible, we might be spoiled for choice which means all this crazy talk about trading up was just a distraction. I would be pretty confident that we'll get a quality midfielder, this pick is as safe as houses.

Reactions: 3 users
The only thing I know for sure is that whoever we take with our pick is "EXACTLY WHO WE WERE AFTER" and "We couldn't beleive he was still available at our pick"!!
This is true as all clubs have their own ratings on players.
Bolton was rated as pick number 6 by Collingwood so when Tigers pounced the pick before ,they were livid.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Imagine if Ward and Hobbs were both there. Would we get on the phone to the Saints and trade for their Pick 9 and end up with both of them? What would they want for it? Would we trade our future 1st to them? Maybe something like Pick 9 and their future 2nd for 26 and our future 1st?

I'd think getting Ward and Hobbs together would set our midfield up for the next 10 years.

Reactions: 8 users
Imagine if Ward and Hobbs were both there. Would we get on the phone to the Saints and trade for their Pick 9 and end up with both of them? What would they want for it? Would we trade our future 1st to them? Maybe something like Pick 9 and their future 2nd for 26 and our future 1st?

I'd think getting Ward and Hobbs together would set our midfield up for the next 10 years.
How about Van hooganband?