2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Reckon he has the talent and traits that he can be molded to play wherever the club who drafts him needs. Forward, ruck or back.

If it was us, we'd develop him as a key forward with only small doses in the middle. He has the anticipation, reading of the flight, leap, skills and ground ball game to be an outstanding key forward in time ILHO. It's also the hardest spot to play, so if you have someone with the talent to play there you generally will.

Somewhere else might need a ruck in time and develop him there. Reckon he'd also make a killer CHB if his club was that way inclined as well.

Probably doesn't answer your question though mate :D
No it doesn’t :ROFLMAO:
Nonetheless we won’t have to worry about it as he will be long gone by our pick.

Reactions: 1 user
The first point is Dean is a more natural defender, Miller played spurts in the ruck this year, he hasn't quite nailed down a key defensive post. If you took both player's seasons and compared them I would give the points to Dean, he made the VFL team of the year & claimed the award for best under 23 player (at the age of 19).

You could argue that Alleer has the higher ceiling but aside from his intercept marking he's years off playing senior AFL football. He's a much bigger chance to be a complete bust, his kicking is loopy, his handball technique is poor, he doesn't run off his man. If you were to compare him with Andrew then you will see the enormous difference in skills, that may change in an AFL system but for now he fits comfortably in the project tall category.
We have been toe to toe on this for a few weeks now.
Let’s just wait and see.

Interceptors come in all shapes and sizes, maybe Steven May is a better comparison but anticipation is something you can't teach. Miller was an undersized ruck as a junior, didn't take one relieving mark in his debut, pretty underwhelming but you never know. For longer distance kicking I like Dean better, I like his football brain & I like his composure. Think he will do well at AFL level & looms as one of the steals of the draft.
May have not taken a mark but didn’t lose one aerial contest. Competed really well and will only get better! I know you mentioned he’s only played the one game but if it wasn’t for poorly timed injuries he would have played several more.
I watched Dean closely when they played our ressies and he looked all at sea when opposed to Samson Ryan. Looked a touch slow, and not overly competent when the ball hit the ground.
I’m sure he played some great footy otherwise but I think I’d rather spend our 5 picks elsewhere and back in Miller and Biggy.

Reactions: 2 users
Reckon the same too.

1 - North - JHF
2 - Collingwood - Daicos
3 - WBD - Darcy
4 - GWS - Andrew
5 - GC - Callaghan
6 - Adelaide - Rachele
7 - Hawthorn - Ward
8 - Fremantle - Gibcus / Johnson / Erasmus
9 - Richmond - Hobbs

Getting more and more likely. As long as Rachele and Andrew are picked ahead of us then he should be available at Pick 9.
If we take Hobbs before one of the two left after the Fremantle pick, it will be a mistake of Pavlich proportions.

• Haha
May have not taken a mark but didn’t lose one aerial contest. Competed really well and will only get better! I know you mentioned he’s only played the one game but if it wasn’t for poorly timed injuries he would have played several more.
I watched Dean closely when they played our ressies and he looked all at sea when opposed to Samson Ryan. Looked a touch slow, and not overly competent when the ball hit the ground.
I’m sure he played some great footy otherwise but I think I’d rather spend our 5 picks elsewhere and back in Miller and Biggy.
Dean will be fine, super tank as well, clearly needs to add some bulk but that will happen in due course. For a late pick he's good value & I would still be looking to add depth regardless of how Miller projects in the long run. We've lost two key defenders & gained one injury prone 32 year old, the longer you leave it, the more of a problem it becomes.

Hobbs hasn't been linked with anyone else so you'd imagine he'll be there, Hawthorn don't really need another inside mid either so Ward the most likely. Gibcus vs Hobbs? Now that might make for an interesting discussion.

9. Gibcus
15. Sonsie
30. McDonald
31. Howes
32. Fejo Jnr

That's a pretty good blend & more upside than Hobbs & Dean, that in totality is a decent ticket.
I would love that outcome , Gibcus would slot in perfectly into the tarrant position along with Balta and the 3 later picks provide a good mix

Hobbs hasn't been linked with anyone else so you'd imagine he'll be there, Hawthorn don't really need another inside mid either so Ward the most likely. Gibcus vs Hobbs? Now that might make for an interesting discussion.

9. Gibcus
15. Sonsie
30. McDonald
31. Howes
32. Fejo Jnr

That's a pretty good blend & more upside than Hobbs & Dean, that in totality is a decent ticket.
Prefer one of the WA Mids, Erasmus or Johnson to Gibcus at 9.
Sonsie, McDonald, Fejo and Howes all excellent prospects.
Alleer for Howes but otherwise pretty happy with your gang.

Last edited:

He's an interesting one. He brings a lot of AFL traits and can see him playing more AFL footy than a lot of guys that are likely to be taken higher.

Only question for us he doesn't really fill a pressing need unless perhaps we are very confident we can move Syd forward.

What range do you have him pegged mate? He probably falls awkwardly somewhere between our 2nd and 3rd picks? With a chance he might bolt up higher late on.

He's an interesting one. He brings a lot of AFL traits and can see him playing more AFL footy than a lot of guys that are likely to be taken higher.

Only question for us he doesn't really fill a pressing need unless perhaps we are very confident we can move Syd forward.

What range do you have him pegged mate? He probably falls awkwardly somewhere between our 2nd and 3rd picks? With a chance he might bolt up higher late on.

I reckon if you had a non-negotiable recruiting rule;

Do not recruit HBF'ers below the 4th round,

you'de be well ahead.

all our premiership ones came from the rookie draft or the psd, except bachar, who came cheap

and only the severely foolish (lolNorf, Cartoon), pay premium for them

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Paywalled article so can't read, someone with HS access may be able to enlighten?

Herald Sun

Unproven Vic bolters set to turn draft on its head​

Could the Cats and Tigers be better placed to land the next Bont than the clubs with top picks? Here is why the Victorian prospects are about to turn draft night on its head.

I reckon if you had a non-negotiable recruiting rule;

Do not recruit HBF'ers below the 4th round,

you'de be well ahead.

all our premiership ones came from the rookie draft or the psd, except bachar, who came cheap

and only the severely foolish (lolNorf, Cartoon), pay premium for them

reasonable rule. but without knowing much about Wilmot he reads more like a Vlastuin/Hodge type than a Saad/Williams

Paywalled article so can't read, someone with HS access may be able to enlighten?

Herald Sun

Unproven Vic bolters set to turn draft on its head​

Could the Cats and Tigers be better placed to land the next Bont than the clubs with top picks? Here is why the Victorian prospects are about to turn draft night on its head.

Who are they saying is the next Bont in the 20's?

I need to see his endurance numbers but he screams wingman to me. Plays north-south footy, straight lines and I'm taking the game on. Watching him reminds me of Wayne Schwass. Skinny, wiry but super hard. He has a lot of traits that scream Richmond man. Is he too similar to Nick Vlastuin but smaller? Maybe but he's quicker and takes the game on more. But is that a bad thing? A quicker Vlastuin? A harder version of Short? Can you move Short to a wing? Does Syd go forward? Does Wilmott give us flexibility? Absoutley he does.

But I think your right Lazy, he goes between our second and third picks.

Yep. I posted exactly that a few weeks ago. Hard to fit for a need. He’s playing a Nick Vlaustin type role but doing it in a light 183cm frame at the moment.

Most draft projectors have him around the 20-30 mark. Seems about right.

So......and heres the million dollar question and plenty of scope for egg on our faces in the next few years, but who are the players that you absolutely don't want?

I'm throwing Roberts and Knevitt out there.

So......and heres the million dollar question and plenty of scope for egg on our faces in the next few years, but who are the players that you absolutely don't want?

I'm throwing Roberts and Knevitt out there.
Good question. Plenty of “must haves”. About 50 by my reckoning !

Not so much absolutely don’t want but, I don’t have Wanganeen-Milera anywhere near a top 15 player. Not even close. I’m not overly keen on Mac Andrew in the top 10 either.

I have some question marks on Roberts, Knevitt, Erasmus and Draper but again, could still handle them being selected.

As an extension of that, fortunately the vast majority of the Draft I generally don’t mind too much. Some a bit riskier than others but almost all of them have a significant “plus” weighting. In past drafts I could list 10 or more no way players but struggling to find too many in this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users