2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

If you want my opinion on who represents the best player for a Jordan Ridley type role then Dean gets the nod, I haven't seen as many games as the VFL watchers but I have seen enough to feel more comfortable with Dean in the role as primary interceptor. With Dean still a teenager I think he has greater scope, you may feel otherwise but after 4 years in the system & only 1 game to his credit Miller needs to get a wriggle on, make or break year.
Miller ain't a Ridley, he plays on the gorillas. And is an elite kick for a big unit, very fluid.

And if that's the role Dean is sounded out for, I think he's too slow.

Reactions: 2 users
Miller ain't a Ridley, he plays on the gorillas. And is an elite kick for a big unit, very fluid.

Agree Miller is your long term Astbury / Tarrant replacement, he's not your Rance / Grimes replacement. He's got good pace, agility and as you say a surprisingly good kick. He was always going to be a slow burn due to the way he built into his draft year living so far away from his WAFL team.

Reactions: 1 users

Interceptors come in all shapes and sizes, maybe Steven May is a better comparison but anticipation is something you can't teach. Miller was an undersized ruck as a junior, didn't take one relieving mark in his debut, pretty underwhelming but you never know. For longer distance kicking I like Dean better, I like his football brain & I like his composure. Think he will do well at AFL level & looms as one of the steals of the draft.

Reactions: 1 user
Johnson looks all class in his highlights clip. What are his stats like and does he get enough of the ball?

Johnson looks all class in his highlights clip. What are his stats like and does he get enough of the ball?
Finds the ball, looks to kick, delivers with accuracy. Averaged 25 touches in his final three reserves game, no problems being where the ball is at.

looks super composed with the ball
He is, not a panic merchant, his coach reckons Cerra, have heard comparisons with Mundy & also Pendles. At 192cm guys like this only come around every few years, we'd be mad to overlook him if he's on the table.

Interceptors come in all shapes and sizes, maybe Steven May is a better comparison but anticipation is something you can't teach. Miller was an undersized ruck as a junior, didn't take one relieving mark in his debut, pretty underwhelming but you never know. For longer distance kicking I like Dean better, I like his football brain & I like his composure. Think he will do well at AFL level & looms as one of the steals of the draft.

You are recommending we use two of the 20s picks to get 19 plus 62 (which you estimate will come into 52). Then using the 62 (52) on Dean. If he is as good as you making out could he be taken at an earlier pick and if this is the case then why not keep our 3 20s picks and use the last one on Dean?

Also if Dean is picked up before 62(52) what are the other options for us at that pick?

If you want my opinion on who represents the best player for a Jordan Ridley type role then Dean gets the nod, I haven't seen as many games as the VFL watchers but I have seen enough to feel more comfortable with Dean in the role as primary interceptor. With Dean still a teenager I think he has greater scope, you may feel otherwise but after 4 years in the system & only 1 game to his credit Miller needs to get a wriggle on, make or break year.
Love your work but putting Dean before a tall in Miller, who has been with us for 4 seasons and improved in each, and who is a beautiful kick with speed a good leap and who is a great spoiler as well, is showing just too little faith.

Putting him before Alleer is also well… I will just say rather off the mark!

Reactions: 1 user
You are recommending we use two of the 20s picks to get 19 plus 62 (which you estimate will come into 52). Then using the 62 (52) on Dean. If he is as good as you making out could he be taken at an earlier pick and if this is the case then why not keep our 3 20s picks and use the last one on Dean?

Also if Dean is picked up before 62(52) what are the other options for us at that pick?
He could be taken earlier, that is the risk, but history tells you that state league high achievers are almost always undervalued at draft time. I could sit all day and talk about McGovern, Tom Stewart & the outstanding record of Fothergill-Round medalists in general. Given he's still young there's plenty of scope to improve.

As for the back-up plan? Have to wait and see who we pick with the earlier selections, Mitch Hibberd is another state league guy who doesn't get mentioned, not sure why to be honest. I'd also look at a few of the midfielders like Harrison, Browne & Dittmar.

Love your work but putting Dean before a tall in Miller, who has been with us for 4 seasons and improved in each, and who is a beautiful kick with speed a good leap and who is a great spoiler as well, is showing just too little faith.

Putting him before Alleer is also well… I will just say rather off the mark!
The first point is Dean is a more natural defender, Miller played spurts in the ruck this year, he hasn't quite nailed down a key defensive post. If you took both player's seasons and compared them I would give the points to Dean, he made the VFL team of the year & claimed the award for best under 23 player (at the age of 19).

You could argue that Alleer has the higher ceiling but aside from his intercept marking he's years off playing senior AFL football. He's a much bigger chance to be a complete bust, his kicking is loopy, his handball technique is poor, he doesn't run off his man. If you were to compare him with Andrew then you will see the enormous difference in skills, that may change in an AFL system but for now he fits comfortably in the project tall category.

The first point is Dean is a more natural defender, Miller played spurts in the ruck this year, he hasn't quite nailed down a key defensive post. If you took both player's seasons and compared them I would give the points to Dean, he made the VFL team of the year & claimed the award for best under 23 player (at the age of 19).

You could argue that Alleer has the higher ceiling but aside from his intercept marking he's years off playing senior AFL football. He's a much bigger chance to be a complete bust, his kicking is loopy, his handball technique is poor, he doesn't run off his man. If you were to compare him with Andrew then you will see the enormous difference in skills, that may change in an AFL system but for now he fits comfortably in the project tall category.
Agree with this

Alleer is your typical project rookie type , Magnificent leap and marking but football is alot more than just reading the ball and catching it
my biggest issue would be his ability to read the play and assess the best options quickly rather than take that extra 2-3 seconds to pick the 'best' option
nuances of the game and anticipation. his actions just dont look fluid and appears to be robotic

The comparisons to Pendlebury are very apt. He looks so balanced and composed. Wouldn't hesitate to take him at 9. After watching a fair bit of the U19s over the last few weeks and reading all of the commentary etc. my preferred selections are:

9. Ward / Johnson / Erasmus / Rachele (I'm not a Hobbs fan....not enough attributes)
17. Amiss / Sonsie / Sinn / JVR (I'm not a Goater fan...disposal too suspect for his role and not enough proven midfield form)
30. Alleer / Bazzo
31. Murley / Knevitt
32. Sheldrick / Taylor / Owens

I get the feeling the draft is two weeks too far away.

This thread has a certain deja vu feeling about it over the last 20 or so pages.

Hurry up draft! We need players to idolise or to "dud, delist" before they've made it through their first tiger Xmas.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I get the feeling the draft is two weeks too far away.

This thread has a certain deja vu feeling about it over the last 20 or so pages.

Hurry up draft! We need players to idolise or to "dud, delist" before they've made it through their first tiger Xmas.
Agree. It’s all getting a bit repetitive and overly speculative eg arguing over players that we don’t even have the relevant pick for yet.

The comparisons to Pendlebury are very apt. He looks so balanced and composed. Wouldn't hesitate to take him at 9. After watching a fair bit of the U19s over the last few weeks and reading all of the commentary etc. my preferred selections are:

9. Ward / Johnson / Erasmus / Rachele (I'm not a Hobbs fan....not enough attributes)
17. Amiss / Sonsie / Sinn / JVR (I'm not a Goater fan...disposal too suspect for his role and not enough proven midfield form)
30. Alleer / Bazzo
31. Murley / Knevitt
32. Sheldrick / Taylor / Owens
From your choices I would go.
1johnson
2Sinn
3Bazzo
4knevitt
5 Taylor