2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Mate, I appreciate we need a developing key position player or two and you know I respect your opinions on players, but I just don't think the ones available to us this year are much chop. We need mids and mid-sized players too.

Recruiting a tall just because you need one can result in drafting Jayden Post while Beams, Hannebery, Sloane, Shiels, Robinson, Walters and Motlop are still on the board.

At one of our 20s picks I might be willing to take one of the three WA talls. Not 17 though for me. I'd be equally happy just loading up on the plethora of fast, skilful mediums/smalls.

i agree with the premise - dont pan where there is no gold

however, i simply cant accept this year has no talls and next year has heaps.

might be a bit of a disparity, but unless it was the Chernobyl Football League,

nature wouldnt throw up marked short and tall years.

its more like this year the talls are harder to see than next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Option 1.

9. Hobbs
17. Butler
30. Murley
31. Howes
32. McDonald

Lacking some outside run but pretty good mix, foot skills not top of the class but ball winning ability excellent & pace very good.

Option 2.

9. Johnson
17. Goater
21. Taylor
30. Murley
52. Dean

This is my preference, trade up for Taylor & trade down for Dean. Taylor is a good pick due to his foot skills and relatively high floor.

Option 3.

9. Johnson
17. Butler
21. Taylor
30. Howes
52. Dean

Slight adjustment to accomodate the wingman & bring in the small forward at 17.

Option 4.

9. Hobbs
17. Goater
30. Murley
31. Alleer
32. McDonald

Instead of grabbing Dean one could go for upside & risk the biscuit on Alleer.

9. Hobbs
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. McDonald
32. Fejo Jnr

This option simply leaves the key defender for next year & focuses entirely on the midfield.

Like 5 but am a Johnson fan at 9. Bring the rest on though! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Can we set a date when we can start writing our 'dear draftsanta' letters?

Can we set a date when we can start writing our 'dear draftsanta' letters?

With the reported delays at Australia Post, may want to get the letters written and sent ASAP mate.

• Haha
With the reported delays at Australia Post, may want to get the letters written and sent ASAP mate.

Speaking of slow mail my birthday card (sent 5 days before her birthday) to my dear mum arrived a week after her birthday. Yet my mum's long time English (living in England) pen friend sent a birthday card - the day after I sent mine - and it arrived on her actual birthday. So the one travelling 15,000+km left later and arrived days earlier than the one travelling 300km

• Dislike
  • Wow
Is Dean a better player than Miller,and really would we use a decent draft pick on a player who would be in the Vfl.
If the Tiges do intend getting Biggy on the Rookie list,l can't see us taking Alleer ,really l wouldn't take him anyway.

To be honest l can't see us taking a key back this year unless Gibcus slides,maybe a swingman but we really need a Key forward. Maybe Williams,Amiss,or even Jvr.

I also think Kai Lohmann and Charlie Molan might be in the mix for our second round picks.
Is Dean better than Miller? Good question and is one that is integral in making the decision to trade down. I'd like to think he is, his kicking is much better and he seems to have much better anticipation. I even think Sam Skinner is a better alternative to Miller & is someone I considered when looking at trading up for Taylor.

As for grabbing a key forward, not really enthused by this batch, Williams has his fans but I'm concerned by his lack of pace, Amiss ok at pick 17 but not earlier.

Lohmann & Molan are probably players you could grab in the forties so trading up a good idea.

All good options and shows the flexibility of our position.

it shows that we can go high end mids early and still get a key defender in the 2nd round trio.

If we can trade up to a 20-21, then we go Johnson Sonsie Taylor (all quality footskills) at 30 Bazzo and at 52 Fejo Jnr
That's the midfield set plus a dependable defender and livewire on the forwardline
We're definitely on the same page, your chances of success are given a massive boost by grabbing all the elite kicks, the only change I'd make is Howes in for Bazzo, I think a wingman is preferable this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have highlights on Ned Long ?. I have never seen him play but he started the season really well and I see Knightmare had him listed in the top 10 of his May power rankings before he got injured. Could he a be a bargain that we consider with one of our later picks ?. 193cm midfielder who kicked 7 goals in his first 3 TAC games of 2021. I believe he isn't overly quick but there must be something worth looking at. I did read he was actually the starting midfielder for the Knights ahead of Ward so their coaches must of rated him.
Long is an interesting prospect but he's still a little one paced, I don't think his goal kicking prowess extends to pack splitting marks & tearaway leads, more craftiness and good positioning. Not a bad pick but I prefer some others.

Mate, I appreciate we need a developing key position player or two and you know I respect your opinions on players, but I just don't think the ones available to us this year are much chop. We need mids and mid-sized players too.

Recruiting a tall just because you need one can result in drafting Jayden Post while Beams, Hannebery, Sloane, Shiels, Robinson, Walters and Motlop are still on the board.

At one of our 20s picks I might be willing to take one of the three WA talls. Not 17 though for me. I'd be equally happy just loading up on the plethora of fast, skilful mediums/smalls.
Yeah, apart from Gibcus I’m not that excited about the talls this year either, be they forwards or defenders or junior or SANFL, WAFL or VFL. I’m sure one or two will turn out ok but it looks as a collective, lean pickings to me too. Won’t be surprised if we hit up the rookie space where a tall or two is concerned and not the Draft (unless Gibcus slides).

Last edited:
Is Dean better than Miller? Good question and is one that is integral in making the decision to trade down. I'd like to think he is, his kicking is much better and he seems to have much better anticipation. I even think Sam Skinner is a better alternative to Miller & is someone I considered when looking at trading up for Taylor.

As for grabbing a key forward, not really enthused by this batch, Williams has his fans but I'm concerned by his lack of pace, Amiss ok at pick 17 but not earlier.

Lohmann & Molan are probably players you could grab in the forties so trading up a good idea.
Miller's a better kick than Dean. Taller and quicker too.

Miller's a better kick than Dean. Taller and quicker too.
Have to agree to disagree on this one, Dean is more composed, his kicks are lower and have more accuracy over longer distances & his tendency is to kick, so his kick to handball ratio is far superior.

As usual we have different opinions :LOL:.

Have to agree to disagree on this one, Dean is more composed, his kicks are lower and have more accuracy over longer distances & his tendency is to kick, so his kick to handball ratio is far superior.
Miller is one of the very best kicks at Richmond. Have you watched him play? Dimma even commented before his debut that he'd improve our kick-ins.

Miller is one of the very best kicks at Richmond. Have you watched him play? Dimma even commented before his debut that he'd improve our kick-ins.
If you want my opinion on who represents the best player for a Jordan Ridley type role then Dean gets the nod, I haven't seen as many games as the VFL watchers but I have seen enough to feel more comfortable with Dean in the role as primary interceptor. With Dean still a teenager I think he has greater scope, you may feel otherwise but after 4 years in the system & only 1 game to his credit Miller needs to get a wriggle on, make or break year.