2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

But........

As far as I can tell, Bazzo wasn't initially playing on JVR. I think this was a case of Bazzo zoning off to help out the rest of the defence.

Bazzo went to JVR after qtr time and got him well under control from that point onwards.
The Swans dropped a loose man in front of him a fair bit after qtr time and tried to double team him.
JVR still had good impact this considered.

Reactions: 1 users
But........

As far as I can tell, Bazzo wasn't initially playing on JVR. I think this was a case of Bazzo zoning off to help out the rest of the defence.

Bazzo went to JVR after qtr time and got him well under control from that point onwards.
It was the under sized Angus Laurisson that started on Van Rooyen.

And that is ?
Hobbs /Butler/Macdonald/Howes.Williams.
If Hobbs is gone ,l hope Gibcus slides ,if not Rachelle.
I like Butler a lot ,l think the Tiges would of been watching him,,l wouldn't be upset with Macdonald at our second pick as well, but maybe one of our second rounders
Williams is hard to place in were he might go,l would take him with one of our second rounders,will take a year or 2 to develop .

Josh Rentsch is a interesting one,l see him as a Troy Simmonds type,l think lack of pace is against him,but he is very good in the air,and aggressive in his attack on the ball,would of been good to see how he went in the champs.

9. Johnson
17. van Rooyen

Lock these two together and you reduce the go home factor. The one benefit of locking in the tall here is you can throw a few darts at some mid sliders.

30. Murley
31. McDonald
32. Fejo Jnr

The risk you take is McDonald not being there and then it's the one paced guys like Long, Knevitt & Roberts. I'm not that enthused by this batch, I'd rather go for Browne to be honest. So many busts like Constable, Hately & Clarke, so few winners, better value with a guy like Brodie I suspect.
Perhaps we needed to take McDonald before Murley then!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps we needed to take McDonald before Murley then!
I have Murley at 30 because I'm confident he will be there, that pick should net us a good player.

The difficulty in rating the others comes down to who we take at pick 9, not sure I would prioritise McDonald if we take Hobbs. Likewise, if we take Goater at 17 there could be a decent argument for overlooking Howes and instead grabbing a midfielder. Take Sonsie & you might want to focus on the taller types. It's complicated but the cattle is there, the composition may vary depending on how we approach our top 20 selections.

Reactions: 4 users
Last year 5 or 6 players who hadn’t been considered top 25 picks came from nowhere to get picked.

The same thing will happen this year. At our block of three picks, there will be a couple we didn’t think would be there and we will make one pick that is a bolter.

Reactions: 7 users
These footy experts from mainstream media are at times garbage with little or no homework,hangar whatever the hell he's called said,we need Mac Andrew,hell we have 2 project rucks already in our vfl(Ryan,Colina) plus 2 AFL quality rucks in Soldo,nank.
Can absolutely guess he's not on our radar

Reactions: 1 user
What's the likelihood that one of Bazzo or Leek Aleer are available for our second round? I,d think it's pretty reasonable with Hawks and Blues unlikely to pick talls.

So if can guess that we,ll get a key back at pick 26 why would we take one earlier?

In other words we could go
1. Hobbs Sonsie Bazzo +2
2. Gibcus Butler Murley +2
3. Hobbs JVR Murley
(Assuming MacDonald and Taylor are gone by 26)
All options we get a key defender, only option 1 gives us 2 elite midfielders as well

What's the likelihood that one of Bazzo or Leek Aleer are available for our second round? I,d think it's pretty reasonable with Hawks and Blues unlikely to pick talls.

So if can guess that we,ll get a key back at pick 26 why would we take one earlier?

In other words we could go
1. Hobbs Sonsie Bazzo +2
2. Gibcus Butler Murley +2
3. Hobbs JVR Murley
(Assuming MacDonald and Taylor are gone by 26)
All options we get a key defender, only option 1 gives us 2 elite midfielders as well
Option 1.

9. Hobbs
17. Butler
30. Murley
31. Howes
32. McDonald

Lacking some outside run but pretty good mix, foot skills not top of the class but ball winning ability excellent & pace very good.

Option 2.

9. Johnson
17. Goater
21. Taylor
30. Murley
52. Dean

This is my preference, trade up for Taylor & trade down for Dean. Taylor is a good pick due to his foot skills and relatively high floor.

Option 3.

9. Johnson
17. Butler
21. Taylor
30. Howes
52. Dean

Slight adjustment to accomodate the wingman & bring in the small forward at 17.

Option 4.

9. Hobbs
17. Goater
30. Murley
31. Alleer
32. McDonald

Instead of grabbing Dean one could go for upside & risk the biscuit on Alleer.

9. Hobbs
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. McDonald
32. Fejo Jnr

This option simply leaves the key defender for next year & focuses entirely on the midfield.

Reactions: 5 users
Option 1.

9. Hobbs
17. Butler
30. Murley
31. Howes
32. McDonald

Lacking some outside run but pretty good mix, foot skills not top of the class but ball winning ability excellent & pace very good.

Option 2.

9. Johnson
17. Goater
21. Taylor
30. Murley
52. Dean

This is my preference, trade up for Taylor & trade down for Dean. Taylor is a good pick due to his foot skills and relatively high floor.

Option 3.

9. Johnson
17. Butler
21. Taylor
30. Howes
52. Dean

Option 4.

9. Hobbs
17. Goater
30. Murley
31. Alleer
32. McDonald

9. Hobbs
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. McDonald
32. Fejo Jnr

This option simply leaves the key defender for next year & focuses entirely on the midfield.
Is Dean a better player than Miller,and really would we use a decent draft pick on a player who would be in the Vfl.
If the Tiges do intend getting Biggy on the Rookie list,l can't see us taking Alleer ,really l wouldn't take him anyway.

To be honest l can't see us taking a key back this year unless Gibcus slides,maybe a swingman but we really need a Key forward. Maybe Williams,Amiss,or even Jvr.

I also think Kai Lohmann and Charlie Molan might be in the mix for our second round picks.

Reactions: 5 users
Option 1.

9. Hobbs
17. Butler
30. Murley
31. Howes
32. McDonald

Option 2.

9. Johnson
17. Goater
21. Taylor
30. Murley
52. Dean

Option 3.

9. Johnson
17. Butler
21. Taylor
30. Howes
52. Dean

Option 4.

9. Hobbs
17. Goater
30. Murley
31. Alleer
32. McDonald

9. Hobbs
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. McDonald
32. Fejo Jnr

All good options and shows the flexibility of our position.

it shows that we can go high end mids early and still get a key defender in the 2nd round trio.

If we can trade up to a 20-21, then we go Johnson Sonsie Taylor (all quality footskills) at 30 Bazzo and at 52 Fejo Jnr
That's the midfield set plus a dependable defender and livewire on the forwardline

Reactions: 2 users
Is Dean a better player than Miller,and really would we use a decent draft pick on a player who would be in the Vfl.
If the Tiges do intend getting Biggy on the Rookie list,l can't see us taking Alleer ,really l wouldn't take him anyway.

To be honest l can't see us taking a key back this year unless Gibcus slides,maybe a swingman but we really need a Key forward. Maybe Williams,Amiss,or even Jvr.

I also think Kai Lohmann and Charlie Molan might be in the mix for our second round picks.
Agreed with Miller and Biggy in development we dont desperately need a 3rd developing key back.
At pick 26 it might be the best available and a Bazzo or Aleer are there for us.
I'd rather use the early picks on mids

Agreed with Miller and Biggy in development we dont desperately need a 3rd developing key back.
At pick 26 it might be the best available and a Bazzo or Aleer are there for us.
I'd rather use the early picks on mids
The one thing about Hartley as a list manager ,is he backs in every player on the list ,even if us supporters think some player's aren't up to the higher standards :LOL:

So he will back in Dow,Rcd,Martyn etc,in the mid field,but he may look to the future for replacements for Cotch,Shed,and Jack.

Does anyone have highlights on Ned Long ?. I have never seen him play but he started the season really well and I see Knightmare had him listed in the top 10 of his May power rankings before he got injured. Could he a be a bargain that we consider with one of our later picks ?. 193cm midfielder who kicked 7 goals in his first 3 TAC games of 2021. I believe he isn't overly quick but there must be something worth looking at. I did read he was actually the starting midfielder for the Knights ahead of Ward so their coaches must of rated him.