2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

If we grab JVR, I think we will ultimately play him in the backline.

He is an exceptionally good reader of the play, especially the ball in flight.

I see a huge potential here to be a very good KPD.

Reactions: 3 users
I am faaaaar away from being an expert, but I thought with us committing to Nyuon and Cumberland, we can't take any additional rookies.
That leaves 5 spots on the senior list, and if we took Schlensog or whatever his name is, before the draft, we'd then only be able to take 4 picks.
That'd mean the trade for the 20s picks was pointless.
Am I missing something?

I don't think Schlensog is on our radar.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure I'd want JVR or Bazzo even at 26-28, let alone two of them.

I'm always an advocate for KPFs, I just don't see it with JVR. Would he get a kick on Gibcus? He'd be lucky to take a mark.

I see JVR as a backman.

I can't see JVR lasting past the first round. Too many clubs needing KPPs, and he is the 'safest' pick for mine. That is, anyone chasing a KPP would look at JVR as the best bet to make it in this crop. I think his versatility makes him a better bet than Gibcus, although Gibcus will be in high demand as the best tall defender out there.

Bazzo seems to have fallen out of favour with many. I'm suprised, because he has the attributes of your prototypical AFL KPD. Good intercept mark with good closing speed, really good decision maker and user of the football with a penetrating kick. He lacks consistency, but a few years in an good AFL program should remedy that.

Just remember the last KPD we drafted out of Swans Districts. He went all right.

I doubt Bazzo will be that good, but I reckon he will make a fair fist of things wherever he gets a chance.

JVR either as a back or foward also gives us good options with Balta, Flexibility and dual position combined with competitiveness
Would be great to be able to switch them when things are not going exactly as we like.

We need more than 1-2 KPP and whilst its a midfielders draft we have 5 selections and using 15 on JVR if available just makes sense
You can just see the kid has it imo and delivers when required and wants to be involved at integral times of the game

Playing foward alongside Jack & Lynch he will demand respect and is the perfect replacement for CJ if we decide to play 3 talls

Reactions: 1 user
If we grab JVR, I think we will ultimately play him in the backline.

He is an exceptionally good reader of the play, especially the ball in flight.

I see a huge potential here to be a very good KPD.

i agree he looks best running towards our goals

Jvr is more a Broad,Grimes type ,you wouldn't want him playing on a strong marking key forward.

no. Thats Tarants job in the short term and noahs long term. But hell probably debut at 195, so hes centre half back sized

no. Thats Tarants job in the short term and noahs long term. But hell probably debut at 195, so hes centre half back sized
Balta at the moment is not a FB,,he is more a CHB,and l think he always will be.
Jvr you wouldn't play him on a strong marking forward,to me he is a third option.

Maybe like Premiership back DTLD.
195cm/ recruited as forward/ pick 35
Kicked goals on debut but kicked on down back. Wasn’t a bad outcome for the club nor the kid from Tatyoon.
Maybe DTLD2…. Second D is for Dutch.

Maybe like Premiership back DTLD.
195cm/ recruited as forward/ pick 35
Kicked goals on debut but kicked on down back. Wasn’t a bad outcome for the club nor the kid from Tatyoon.
Maybe DTLD2…. Second D is for Dutch.
Astbury was very strong overhead

Reactions: 1 users
Jack Williams is good overhead and has played mostly forward, he reminds me of Astbury a bit, it won’t surprise me if ends up being a defender.
Would be quite happy if he's one of our selections.

Last edited:
Jack Williams is good overhead and has played mostly forward, he reminds me of Astbury a bit, it want surprise me if ends up being a defender.
Would be quite happy if he's one of our selections.
Yeah l agree,l think their is good upside to him,will still be 17 at draft time.

Astbury was very strong overhead
yes, one of his most underrated traits as a player. We do need to get someone in who can take the gorillas in future years. Probably Balta can but I think that is in some ways a waste given everything else he can do

I see JVR as a backman.

I can't see JVR lasting past the first round. Too many clubs needing KPPs, and he is the 'safest' pick for mine. That is, anyone chasing a KPP would look at JVR as the best bet to make it in this crop. I think his versatility makes him a better bet than Gibcus, although Gibcus will be in high demand as the best tall defender out there.

Bazzo seems to have fallen out of favour with many. I'm suprised, because he has the attributes of your prototypical AFL KPD. Good intercept mark with good closing speed, really good decision maker and user of the football with a penetrating kick. He lacks consistency, but a few years in an good AFL program should remedy that.

Just remember the last KPD we drafted out of Swans Districts. He went all right.

I doubt Bazzo will be that good, but I reckon he will make a fair fist of things wherever he gets a chance.
I see him as a backman too. No Rance, though. Gibcus has him covered.

It would have been enlightening to see JVR play back on any or all of Amiss, Williams, Benning, Lukac, Darcy, Andrew. Unfortunately he played forward in Colts and on Lukas Cooke in the state games.

Pick 19 is the prized pick, I would be using some capital to get hold of it, plenty of good talent still on the board.
I don’t understand that thinking bully. Surely pick 18 would be better and 20 only slightly worse. If a recruitment team doesn’t know who to take in the second round of any draft they should be sacked!

• Haha
Let’s make a stand against hyphenated players this year. No to acronyms! No to too many syllables! Yes to Jr’s.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Theres a bit of a pandemic

of mids-fever in here.

which, if we decided the picks, would be untimely,

given our list profile.
Mate, I appreciate we need a developing key position player or two and you know I respect your opinions on players, but I just don't think the ones available to us this year are much chop. We need mids and mid-sized players too.

Recruiting a tall just because you need one can result in drafting Jayden Post while Beams, Hannebery, Sloane, Shiels, Robinson, Walters and Motlop are still on the board.

At one of our 20s picks I might be willing to take one of the three WA talls. Not 17 though for me. I'd be equally happy just loading up on the plethora of fast, skilful mediums/smalls.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Heard Roberts interviewed today and he mentioned Richmond and GWS are the 2 clubs not to have interviewed him at all. When he pushed he mentioned Hawks had shown most interest.

Good as I also think he's too slow. He's likely to go somewhere around our picks, so hopefully before as more chance of those players we rate still being on the board.

I see JVR as a backman.

I can see West Coast taking JVR with their first pick.