2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Not keen any tall not named Andrew or Gibcus with our first two picks. I'm not sure I'd want JVR or Bazzo even at 26-28, let alone two of them.

I'm always an advocate for KPFs, I just don't see it with JVR. Would he get a kick on Gibcus? He'd be lucky to take a mark.

It's a mids draft. Draft mids.

Reactions: 2 users
Not keen any tall not named Andrew or Gibcus with our first two picks. I'm not sure I'd want JVR or Bazzo even at 26-28, let alone two of them.

I'm always an advocate for KPFs, I just don't see it with JVR. Would he get a kick on Gibcus? He'd be lucky to take a mark.

It's a mids draft. Draft mids.

Alleer has proven qualities in his anticipation in getting to where the ball is, his leap, his marking ability and his courage. His skill in these areas puts him in rarified air.

He has in his short career spent only a short time in defence.
He plays with passion and has improved his game over his journey with more to come. He has reasonable speed and disposal.

I have previously mentioned Buddy. Different players but Alleer has some rare skills, much development in front and is the best tall prospect by some distance.

Andrew is the best tall prospect.
Highly skilled but I have never seen a player come in with his build who has been able to develop the strength needed to play consistently good football.
Not as a ruck, or as a forward, maybe across half back but it would be a first.
Alleer way in front.

Highly skilled but I have never seen a player come in with his build who has been able to develop the strength needed to play consistently good football.
Not as a ruck, or as a forward, maybe across half back but it would be a first.
Alleer way in front.
You better ring every recruiter in the country.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Apple Mac Andrews won't be our problem, won't be on the board if we keep our pick. I'm somewhat relieved by that.

And with all the talk of us trading up, he hasn't been mentioned once. If we traded up I'd still take Callaghan or Ward ahead of Andrews.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm more on the draft mids side but JVR is the best contested mark in the pool, the speed also decent. A Heath Grundy type career not out of the question, even with the lack of runs against quality opposition. At pick 17? Not my preference but not a terrible pick.

Mum is particularly concerned about midnight feasts at kebab shops & scantily clad broads. Dad feels high picks are better off in pairs and has duly noted homesickness as a factor in Tim Kelly's defection from Geelong & Elliot Yeo's move from Brisbane.
Mum has to release the apron strings n realise that boys need to grow up n explore the world of non home cooked food n non matronly women.
Dad needs to give the boys a clip in the buccanear n tell em to grow up n stop sookin up about coming home n having everything done for them by mum n dad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm more on the draft mids side but JVR is the best contested mark in the pool, the speed also decent. A Heath Grundy type career not out of the question, even with the lack of runs against quality opposition. At pick 17? Not my preference but not a terrible pick.
I think there are SOME similarities with Aaron Naughton the more I look at him.
Both were super competitive defenders
Both had better than average sprint times (AN 3.09 vs JVR 3.05)
Both were similar builds (AN 195, 84 v JVR 195, 88)
Both have question marks around polish. Get it done but not pretty.
Both performed well at WAFL senior level.

And I've said it before, JVR had glandular fever and zero preseason. The body of work continued to build throughout the year, he kept getting better.

Naughton was compared to Cale Hooker and I think this is the perfect JVR comparison as well. I've floated Oscar Allen but I like the Hooker one.

I'd be delighted if we took him with the second pick.

You better ring every recruiter in the country.
If most love him but not us, that’s great.
Look at Ryan for example, he has a lot of work to do before he is physically ready.
Wish Andrew well, but no thanks and just to finish up Bully, JVR is not in the same class as a marking player as Alleer. In comparison he hardly gets off the ground.
JVR worthy of consideration but only if Alleer is gone.

I think there are SOME similarities with Aaron Naughton the more I look at him.
Both were super competitive defenders
Both had better than average sprint times (AN 3.09 vs JVR 3.05)
Both were similar builds (AN 195, 84 v JVR 195, 88)
Both have question marks around polish. Get it done but not pretty.
Both performed well at WAFL senior level.

And I've said it before, JVR had glandular fever and zero preseason. The body of work continued to build throughout the year, he kept getting better.

Naughton was compared to Cale Hooker and I think this is the perfect JVR comparison as well. I've floated Oscar Allen but I like the Hooker one.

I'd be delighted if we took him with the second pick.
My biggest knock on van Rooyen is the kicking technique but I made the same mistake with Naughton & JVR's kicking is a lot more pleasing on the eye. Competitiveness a must and he has that, flexilbility tick, marking close to top of the class. I can't say I would take him over Goater & Sonsie but I could definitely understand taking him with those two off the board.

If most love him but not us, that’s great.
Look at Ryan for example, he has a lot of work to do before he is physically ready.
Wish Andrew well, but no thanks and just to finish up Bully, JVR is not in the same class as a marking player as Alleer. In comparison he hardly gets off the ground.
JVR worthy of consideration but only if Alleer is gone.
Alleer's marking is outstanding, his rate of improvement has been noteworthy so I get the interest. His skills on the kicking front are average at best, his handball technique also raw, he also lacks a run and carry element. Not saying he won't improve, he will, but you are grabbing a project player so a first rounder not for me. A pick in the thirties fair weight.

Alleer's marking is outstanding, his rate of improvement has been noteworthy so I get the interest. His skills on the kicking front are average at best, his handball technique also raw, he also lacks a run and carry element. Not saying he won't improve, he will, but you are grabbing a project player so a first rounder not for me. A pick in the thirties fair weight.
Ok get your point but as I see it almost all draftees are
project players. Occasionally a mid comes along who is absolutely ready Judd Walsh Cotch, but I am struggling to think of a tall who wasn’t a project in that he didn’t have to spend time learning and improving before he could be considered ready?

Naughton is an interesting one though but as I recall
he came as a poor kicker defender.
Alleer already a more reliable kick and significantly much more concerned with team, than Naughton seems likely to be.

Having a player who can be relied on at any point in the game, to take a mark, is absolute gold.

My biggest knock on van Rooyen is the kicking technique but I made the same mistake with Naughton & JVR's kicking is a lot more pleasing on the eye. Competitiveness a must and he has that, flexilbility tick, marking close to top of the class. I can't say I would take him over Goater & Sonsie but I could definitely understand taking him with those two off the board.
I want Sonsie first and have JVR and NWM as my next in line at 17. I got Naughton wrong because he wsn't polished and overlooked all of his major strengths. I see those strengths again in JVR. Even if he ends up Cale Hooker it's a win.

Mum has to release the apron strings n realise that boys need to grow up n explore the world of non home cooked food n non matronly women.
Dad needs to give the boys a clip in the buccanear n tell em to grow up n stop sookin up about coming home n having everything done for them by mum n dad.
Welcome to Uncle Kamdyn's house!

Kd4p0kh.jpg

I want Sonsie first and have JVR and NWM as my next in line at 17. I got Naughton wrong because he wsn't polished and overlooked all of his major strengths. I see those strengths again in JVR. Even if he ends up Cale Hooker it's a win.
9. Johnson / Hobbs
17. van Rooyen
30. McDonald
31. Murley
32. Howes

That's a great result but it's risky, my fear is that both McDonald & Howes will be off the board & I'm not overly keen on some of the others around the mark.

Ok get your point but as I see it almost all draftees are
project players. Occasionally a mid comes along who is absolutely ready Judd Walsh Cotch, but I am struggling to think of a tall who wasn’t a project in that he didn’t have to spend time learning and improving before he could be considered ready?

Naughton is an interesting one though but as I recall
he came as a poor kicker defender.
Alleer already a more reliable kick and significantly much more concerned with team, than Naughton seems likely to be.

Having a player who can be relied on at any point in the game, to take a mark, is absolute gold.
With the pressure on to deliver 3 core players I reckon flying with a project tall at 17 is the highest risk of all the possible scenarios. I actually feel Alleer will get picked up by Geelong, he's the exact type they love, state league high achievers with a few deficiencies to iron out. He's a boom/bust player, he could prove to be an inspired pick but he could also go the way of Majak Daw.

With the pressure on to deliver 3 core players I reckon flying with a project tall at 17 is the highest risk of all the possible scenarios. I actually feel Alleer will get picked up by Geelong, he's the exact type they love, state league high achievers with a few deficiencies to iron out. He's a boom/bust player, he could prove to be an inspired pick but he could also go the way of Majak Daw.
If we don’t take him at 17 I think he is an absolute monty to be taken by Geelong with their first available.

Your bat is very straight, but we haven’t been
scoring.
I wouldn't take him at 22, no chance, and if Geelong takes him there then they're paying overs given players like Taylor, Howes, Murley & McDonald will be available. I have Alleer pegged in the forties, that's fair weight for a player who struggles with the nuances of the game. At this stage in his development he lacks spontaneity, that is something that will improve but you are coming from such a long way back that there's every chance he's a bust. His intercept game is good but there's plenty of other issues to iron out.