2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Competitive by nature with very good closing speed. That’s a winning combo.

we didnt need any data to see that though.

Watching him play hes clearly a big, aggressive, athletic, footballer.

Reactions: 1 user
The only way i wouldnt fair dinkum :vomit

on that deal is if we then took JVR at 19 and Ronny Fejo at 61
9. Johnson
17. Goater
21. Taylor
30. Murley
52. Dean

That's how I would play it, those are the guys I think represent the best haul from a needs list perspective & gives you a decent shot at a royal flush with 5 core players. We all have our thoughts but that's four outstanding kicks & one explosive type. If Howes fell to pick 30 I would take him instead but I see that as unlikely.

we didnt need any data to see that though.

Watching him play hes clearly a big, aggressive, athletic, footballer.
Said it from a long way out and now Shifter has stole it, strong Oscar Allen energy.

My two faves JVR & NWM have skyrocketed. Not bad for NFI.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would not be disappointed at all if we called out Jacob Van Rooyen's name with pick #17
I just see a kid thats a natural footballer that wants and is determined to make a career playing AFL and he just fills such a need for us up foward and with ability to play back if required. The flexibility in combination with Noah Balta would be fantastic

We have 5 picks so can use the other 4 for Mids if that is our focus

7 ------------
15. Jacob Van Rooyen
26 -------------
27 -------------
28 Rhett Bazzo

Reactions: 3 users
Have we gone cold on Schlensog? If so then time to focus on the other strategies for a tall.
It might be that we dont need a tall back?
With the pick up of Taz for the next 2 years, which gives time for both Miller and Biggie to develop.
Both have the physical size and speed, similar to Schlensog.

So whats to be gained by picking a tall defender who will be the 3rd reserve?
And we would likely push Grimes to be the key tall and go smaller.

Do we need a Schlensog or Dean, even though I like the look of them? Instead we pick up a speedster in Fejo or Judson Clarke or better yet another mid in Warner or Josh Browne. We keep pick 28 and use it on a mid, not a back of the line key back

Go to 2.32

Only a handful of players in the AFL can hit that kick
Like your passion KK but that’s his highlight real…no one makes a reel of his bad kicks of which there are many. Don’t get me wrong…One of my favourite players by far and spew when he gets injured but he is not a consistent elite kick.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we need a Schlensog or Dean, even though I like the look of them? Instead we pick up a speedster in Fejo or Judson Clarke or better yet another mid in Warner or Josh Browne. We keep pick 28 and use it on a mid, not a back of the line key back
How many games can you bank on with Tarrant? That's my only query.

I would not be disappointed at all if we called out Jacob Van Rooyen's name with pick #17
I just see a kid thats a natural footballer that wants and is determined to make a career playing AFL and he just fills such a need for us up foward and with ability to play back if required. The flexibility in combination with Noah Balta would be fantastic

7 ------------
15. Jacob Van Rooyen
26 -------------
27 -------------
28 Rhett Bazzo
If we did this then Johnson would make a good traveling buddy.

How many games can you bank on with Tarrant? That's my only query.
True, thats a concern. But we have shown that with Balta and Grimes we can cope. Plus we have Miller and Nyuon to get development games.
I cant see that another tall defender who is primarily a defensive player is urgent. We have very list spots and each remaining spot is valuable.

I'm just surmising at why we havent signed up Schlensog yet. We've kept both Miller and Biggie, which indicates we prefer those 2 over Mr Sog.
I could be jumping at shadows.

I've never been much of a draft watcher, just wait for the night and hope we get some good players.

But, from what I have read here Johnson looks to be the one for me. Big mid with decent disposal ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Here's hoping we can get him at out first pick.

DS

our favourite poster in the west Streaker @Streak was all over Schlensog at the mid season draft.
I forget who but someone else watched him later in the season and was left mehpressed

He did look good early in the year, and all the talk was that the Tigers were looking at a mid-season South Freo recruit and that it was Schlensog.

Turned out to be Matt Parker.

Reactions: 1 users

7 ------------
15. Jacob Van Rooyen
26 -------------
27 -------------
28 Rhett Bazzo
9. Johnson
17. van Rooyen

Lock these two together and you reduce the go home factor. The one benefit of locking in the tall here is you can throw a few darts at some mid sliders.

30. Murley
31. McDonald
32. Fejo Jnr

The risk you take is McDonald not being there and then it's the one paced guys like Long, Knevitt & Roberts. I'm not that enthused by this batch, I'd rather go for Browne to be honest. So many busts like Constable, Hately & Clarke, so few winners, better value with a guy like Brodie I suspect.

Reactions: 2 users
9. Johnson
17. van Rooyen

Lock these two together and you reduce the go home factor. The one benefit of locking in the tall here is you can throw a few darts at some mid sliders.

30. Murley
31. McDonald
32. Fejo Jnr

The risk you take is McDonald not being there and then it's the one paced guys like Long, Knevitt & Roberts. I'm not that enthused by this batch, I'd rather go for Browne to be honest. So many busts like Constable, Hately & Clarke, so few winners, better value with a guy like Brodie I suspect.
Warner?

I've never been much of a draft watcher, just wait for the night and hope we get some good players.

But, from what I have read here Johnson looks to be the one for me. Big mid with decent disposal ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Here's hoping we can get him at out first pick.

DS
Hard to chose between 3 likely to be available.
In order I would take Ward, Erasmus and then
Johnson. All with excellent prospects in a very good draft.
At number 15 Alleer and with our late 20’s again from those likely to be available, Chesser, Fejo and McDonald.

9. Johnson
17. van Rooyen

What go home factor? Broad, Baker, Pickett, Parker, KMac, Miller, Bolton, Stack. We've already got half the WAFL playing at Punt Rd. Would be just like the boys moving into their first share house ten minutes down the road from mum n dad.

Reactions: 7 users
What go home factor? Broad, Baker, Pickett, Parker, KMac, Miller, Bolton, Stack. We've already got half the WAFL playing at Punt Rd. Would be just like the boys moving into their first share house ten minutes down the road from mum n dad.
Mum & Dad are wary about some of the company & would prefer some teenage companionship, Mum is particularly concerned about midnight feasts at kebab shops & scantily clad broads. Dad feels high picks are better off in pairs and has duly noted homesickness as a factor in Tim Kelly's defection from Geelong & Elliot Yeo's move from Brisbane.