2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

The kids will be 87 by the time this draft starts .
Only a ball slapper would place the draft in late November

The draft was pushed back to give the draftees every chance to finish their respective HSC exams. Expect it will be back to normal scheduling next year.....pandemic allowing

Reactions: 1 user
The draft was pushed back to give the draftees every chance to finish their respective HSC exams. Expect it will be back to normal scheduling next year.....pandemic allowing
They should've held the draft the Friday before the start of the season.

• Haha
I think they will trade if van Rooyen gets snapped up, that is a 50/50 proposition so we'll need all contingencies in place. I think 27 & 28 is a super deal for 19 & 61, a win/win. Pick 61 will actually rise about ten spots once the points are allocated for Daicos, Darcy, Owens & Fahey. Pick 50ish will be fair weight for Dean, the only risk is he gets snapped up by Geelong or another side with plenty of second rounders.

Not too sure about that trade Bullus

We traded away pick's 38,40 & F3 for 27 and now want to include our 28 to move to 19

Out : 38,40,28,F3 (50 odd) for a 9 place upgrade on 28 - I dont like it and i rther wait until the time comes for 26/27/28 and see if there is interest from clubs for players they missed out that are still there. Im holding 7/28 unless its a top 15 pick .

I truly believe there are going to be some real diamonds found at the 20-40 range who could not get the required exposure this year

Reactions: 6 users
We could hold & still get Dean with our 5th pick as well, some may think that's a reach but with our last pick it's either grab them or miss them. Before 2nd night starts we'll be getting plenty of calls about our 20's picks & could even deal for a future pick with our last if all the kids we like are gone by that pick, with multiple Clubs keen we could get a handy future 2nd if it falls that way. Failing that we use all 5 which is still my preferred option. As for Schlensog talk on him has gone dead silent so who knows what happens there & that probably decides us using either 4 or 5 picks in the Draft.

We traded away pick's 38,40 & F3 for 27 and now want to include our 28 to move to 19

Out : 38,40,28,F3 (50 odd) for a 9 place upgrade on 28 - I dont like it and i rther wait until the time comes for 26/27/28 and see if there is interest from clubs for players they missed out that are still there. Im holding 7/28 unless its a top 15 pick .

I truly believe there are going to be some real diamonds found at the 20-40 range who could not get the required exposure this year
Can't look it at that way because the 20s picks blow out to 30s picks once the bids roll in, pick 62 will come into about pick 52 due to most of the third round being chewed up by Daicos & Darcy.

So once this occurs it will likely be pick 31 & 32 for 21 & 52. I would 100% do it because we almost guarantee Taylor who is on my must have list this draft. Points wise it's negligible, 1124 vs 1190, but probably enough to get Freo interested.

Reactions: 1 users
We could hold & still get Dean with our 5th pick as well, some may think that's a reach but with our last pick it's either grab them or miss them. Before 2nd night starts we'll be getting plenty of calls about our 20's picks & could even deal for a future pick with our last if all the kids we like are gone by that pick, with multiple Clubs keen we could get a handy future 2nd if it falls that way. Failing that we use all 5 which is still my preferred option. As for Schlensog talk on him has gone dead silent so who knows what happens there & that probably decides us using either 4 or 5 picks in the Draft.
I think we've uncovered some gremlins during due diligence which is fine, Schlensog maybe not the personality type we're after, maybe a little too flamboyant perhaps? No dramas, Dean is an excellent back-up plan.

Agreed. Would have to be an extremely compelling offer (something in the early to mid teens) to trade any one of 26(28),27(29),28(30). Not only are they valuable individually, but collectivity provide us with great flexibility.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't look it at that way because the 20s picks blow out to 30s picks once the bids roll in, pick 62 will come into about pick 52 due to most of the third round being chewed up by Daicos & Darcy.

So once this occurs it will likely be pick 31 & 32 for 21 & 52. I would 100% do it because we almost guarantee Taylor who is on my must have list this draft. Points wise it's negligible, 1124 vs 1190, but probably enough to get Freo interested.
I'm confused Bully, how do we end up with 31 & 32 from 26, 27 & 28?

Because it addresses two needs - clearance work and speed through the midfield. Hobbs addresses the first need and then one of Butler or Sonsie the second need.
MacDonald has a burst of speed out of stoppages, and I've seen RCD do similar.

Adding a Butler type would add the pace to help balance the midfield out.

A Hobbs, Butler, MacDonald trio with our 1st 3 picks would be a great outcome IMO and really address our key deficiency in the midfield.
Hobbs strength is getting the ball out but he is slow and doesn’t seem to have the capacity to match it unless he is surrounded by players, and where really no one can move.
Additionally he is a pretty ordinary kick. Correct me but I think the ESPN guy Doer has him at 20.

The game saw the most radical change to its rules last year and we were far too slow to respond. Imo we saw last year that the post stand rule game demands speed and kicking efficiency from all mids.

Erasmus & Johnson look far better bets to me and Graham and Dusty, and at least for next year Cotch, will do the inside and out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My mistake Doer has him at 11 behind Erasmus
and just in front of Johnson.
Still believe he is not the one. Speed with attack on the ball is king.
Happy if as he predicts we get Ward.

I'm confused Bully, how do we end up with 31 & 32 from 26, 27 & 28?
Daicos, Darcy, Fahey, Owens all get called before our picks in the twenties, forcing pick 27 & 28 out to pick 31 & 32.

I would be keeping pick 26 which will eventually be pick 30. I think we'll get a good chance at grabbing Murley here which is a nice consolation prize if we miss out on Sonsie. Realistically I think McDonald & Howes are probably also gone given Hawthorn have similar needs to us. The scenario I'm liking most is moving up for Taylor and downgrading a little to get in the Charlie Dean range, I think that is doable and ensures we maintain the emphasis on excellent kicks of the football.

How nice is it in here now to have informed and mature posts to read without the unnecessary childish clutter and name calling.
Like to congratulate all the posters on here for their courteous behaviour and posting.

Reactions: 11 users
Wish I new what the kid's endurance was like. Big factor in determining whether he is a realistic option playing as a mid in the AFL.
I’d like to see it too. Trying to get it. Very important because I feel if the draft order stays as is, then he’s right in our zone and he may even end up picking himself for us.

If he has, or has the potential, to develop a strong endurance base, that’s super important where his value and potential upside is concerned. Even if he can get to that Didak sort of mid-small forward level, I’d be excited.

Kid is very classy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Competitive by nature with very good closing speed. That’s a winning combo.
Did you know I once timed Mr Burnside doing a 2.85 for the 20m at his local KFC just before it was about to close ?

About the only impressive thing he’s ever done.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Did you know I once timed Mr Burnside doing a 2.85 for the 20m at his local KFC just before it was about to close ?

About the only impressive thing he’s ever done.
2.85 seconds to consume an entire zinger is impressive. Elite mouth closing speed.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users