2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Go to 2.32

Only a handful of players in the AFL can hit that kick
That Prestia kick to Lynch at 2:50, at the ground we didn't know it was a free, the camera doesn't do it justice but the way Lynch dealt with 3 opponents on his own to mark that kick was sublime & the crowd reaction was something else.

IMO Freo take WA kids so there's no worry about "go home factor". I also reckon Cerra is more outside than ppl may think & is a good kick, he's not the inside bull that would fix our clearance issues.

My work is done here.

I'm not interested in being bullied by a bunch of *smile* scumbags with nothing better to do than pile onto someone that has the audacity to provide an alternate view to Bullus and his minions!

Good riddance to all that joined the pile on.
I enjoy the differing views but we can do without the name calling etc. IMO Bully provides plenty of info and so do you.

Reactions: 7 users
Not sure about Freo needing Hobbs. They just traded in Brodie. Plus they still have the likes of Serong and Brayshaw.

No doubt GWS and GC will define the top 10. Talk for a while has been Andrew to GWS. Not trading down might also mean they fear on losing Andrew as I don’t think he makes it out of the top 10.

I still think we are a very good chance of getting Hobbs. I don’t think either Andrew or Gibcus make it to our pick. Andrew for his potential and Gibcus for his intercept defending which is very much in vogue at the moment.

Ward won’t get past the Hawks.

As for Callaghan Adelaide won’t be able to call out his name quick enough.

Rachelle I agree with. He could also be very well on the board at our pick.
Rachelle for me problem is he a genuine midfielder.

Reactions: 1 user
How does the fact that Sonsie or Butler may have pace help the case for Hobbs who doesn’t?
Because it addresses two needs - clearance work and speed through the midfield. Hobbs addresses the first need and then one of Butler or Sonsie the second need.

Reactions: 1 users
Issue is, that's a very one paced midfield Posh. Only Bolton (possibly needed forward we're slow now there as well) has wheels, with Graham OK over a straight line.

Need more genuine burst/pace in the middle than that. Will hurt us both offensively and defensively ILHO.

MacDonald has a burst of speed out of stoppages, and I've seen RCD do similar.

Adding a Butler type would add the pace to help balance the midfield out.

A Hobbs, Butler, MacDonald trio with our 1st 3 picks would be a great outcome IMO and really address our key deficiency in the midfield.

Zac Becker is an interesting player. Wouldn’t mind seeing a club take him with a late pick/rookie selection and then watch how he goes. If he had 2 or 3 more cms on him he’d be getting a bit more exposure.

Zac Becker is an interesting player. Wouldn’t mind seeing a club take him with a late pick/rookie selection and then watch how he goes. If he had 2 or 3 more cms on him he’d be getting a bit more exposure.
Yeah he looks like a footballer, but against it without the height and speed.
I picked him in the phantom draft for that reason, and I'd be hoping he could a dependable 3rd tall.

Yeah he looks like a footballer, but against it without the height and speed.
I picked him in the phantom draft for that reason, and I'd be hoping he could a dependable 3rd tall.
I watched a few Sturt games last night. Courageous, good one on one/lockdown, good mark. 96% kicking efficiency. Takes all the kick outs. Tested ok at the Combine apparently. Played well in the state games including on Amiss.

I thought he maybe looked a bit taller than 190cm. If he is, or can grow a bit more, he becomes interesting as a late pick for clubs.

A Hobbs, Butler, MacDonald trio with our 1st 3 picks would be a great outcome IMO and really address our key deficiency in the midfield.
I’m all over MacDonald … massive upside

That's a decent haul, perhaps missing an elite kick which I would be pressing for.
Me too. He's defo one I want. I wish I could find the video I'd seen of him though, I can't remember where I'd seen it. Do you have a video of his highlights?
He's one you would hope lands in the 30s, I think there's a reasonable chance, better chance than Taylor.

Reading through this thread is like walking through a minefield. The scenery is enjoyable but every now and then some-one loses a leg or two from an unexpected blast.

There are enough windmills being thrown in here for the Net Carbon target to be immediately met. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Have we gone cold on Schlensog? If so then time to focus on the other strategies for a tall.

Option 1

Trade two twenties picks to Freo for pick 19 & 61. Worth a stab, maybe requires a third party if 61 is too far down the order.

Pick 9. Johnson / Hobbs
Pick 17. Goater / Sonsie
Pick 21. Taylor
Pick 31. Howes / Murley / McDonald
Pick 61. Dean

Rookie 1. Harvey Harrison

I like this mix, Johnson & Taylor two of the best kicks in the crop & potentially Sonsie would make that a trifecta. Two tall midfielders in Johnson & Goater (if available), a tall wingman in Howes & a plug and play in Dean.

Missed the boat on Skinner which is ok, 3 knee reconstructions makes him somewhat risky and he plays a very similar game to Dean who has age & fitness on his side. I'm ok for a slight reach on Dean as well, I just think state league guys never get the rocognition at draft time. Looking back at how Geelong has maintained their top 4 dominance you can see it's almost entirely on the back of state league players - Menegola, Tim Kelly & Tom Stewart just a few of the recent ones. Podsiadly another from yesteryear.

Have we gone cold on Schlensog? If so then time to focus on the other strategies for a tall.

Option 1

Trade two twenties picks to Freo for pick 19 & 61. Worth a stab, maybe requires a third party if 61 is too far down the order.

Pick 9. Johnson / Hobbs
Pick 17. Goater / Sonsie
Pick 21. Taylor
Pick 31. Howes / Murley / McDonald
Pick 61. Dean

Rookie 1. Harvey Harrison

I like this mix, Johnson & Taylor two of the best kicks in the crop & potentially Sonsie would make that a trifecta. Two tall midfielders in Johnson & Goater (if available), a tall wingman in Howes & a plug and play in Dean.

Missed the boat on Skinner which is ok, 3 knee reconstructions makes him somewhat risky and he plays a very similar game to Dean who has age & fitness on his side. I'm ok for a slight reach on Dean as well, I just think state league guys never get the rocognition at draft time. Looking back at how Geelong has maintained their top 4 dominance you can see it's almost entirely on the back of state league players - Menegola, Tim Kelly & Tom Stewart just a few of the recent ones. Podsiadly another from yesteryear.
I wonder if we will change tact if Gibcus is still on the board at 9?

I wonder if we will change tact if Gibcus is still on the board at 9?
That's ok too, I think we can meet our needs with Gibcus at 9.

9. Gibcus
17. Goater / Sonsie
21. Taylor
30. McDonald / Murley / Howe
61. midfield slider (Browne & Dittmar possibles or simply grab Harrison earlier than the rookie draft)

Option 1

Freo traded to get pick 19, virtually a 1st round selection and one that I think they will probably use or at least hold until end of round 1.
I imagine there will be scrambling and strategizing by list management teams overnight on how they can get their hands on it so won't come cheaply.
Freo in a pretty sweet spot in this draft.

Reactions: 3 users
Freo traded to get pick 19, virtually a 1st round selection and one that I think they will probably use or at least hold until end of round 1.
I imagine there will be scrambling and strategizing by list management teams overnight on how they can get their hands on it so won't come cheaply.
Freo in a pretty sweet spot in this draft.
I think they will trade if van Rooyen gets snapped up, that is a 50/50 proposition so we'll need all contingencies in place. I think 27 & 28 is a super deal for 19 & 61, a win/win. Pick 61 will actually rise about ten spots once the points are allocated for Daicos, Darcy, Owens & Fahey. Pick 50ish will be fair weight for Dean, the only risk is he gets snapped up by Geelong or another side with plenty of second rounders.