2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Get a room you two...
Happy to as long as Miranda Kerr and Margot Robbie join also.
I remember King as a largely uncontested player who lacked physical presence & who struggled to hit 20 touches a match. Very typical of the sorts we'd throw on the midfielder merry-go-round in the late 90s. He was a player we were probably hoping would blossom into the next Craig Lambert, unfortunately he would become yet another C grade midfieldder who wasn't particularly good at anything.

This is just your opinion, which is fine, but others rate Rachele as A class & have dual sided kicks like Sonsie & Taylor near the top of the charts. I woulld also be separating the flankers from the mids as players tend to react differently in space as opposed to congestion. Taylor is calm and composed in heavy traffic, he's very diificult to tackle given he has one of the sweetest sidesteps in the pool. Whether or not he goes in the first round is irrelevant for me personally, I rank him in the top 20, just the same as I ranked Shai Bolton in the top 20.

As for Taylor's weaknesses, occasionally he gets run down, that is something that may put some clubs off. I don't have his sprint time but I'm guessing he's around the 3 second mark, give or take.
Why do you feel the need to bring Bolton up? You're ranking of him is irrelevant to you're ranking of Taylor.

Most clubs ranked Bolton top 20 in his draft year - some top 10 after he dominated the All Star game. Even most of the amateur phantoms had him 1st round.

The reason he dropped was because clubs were unsure if he'd settle outside of WA., not because of a lack of talent.

No chance Freo take Hobbs. They have other needs. They would snap Gibcus up. They will also consider Amiss at their next pick. Spine sorted for the next 10 years.
Its becoming more clear by the day that the clubs rank 9 players in the top echelon and then see from 10 to 30 as very even. No WA players in that group and the one SA player.

Gold C, GWS, Melb and Lollingwood all saying the same thing.

Freo would be every chance to pick Hobbs as a replacement for Cerra if he got to 8, although rumour mill is suggesting they favor Andrew and Rachele.

If GWS don't trade down its because they are taking Callaghan which means it becomes less clear who the player is that lands at 9. Right now I'd be predicting Gibcus or Rachele

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Why do you feel the need to bring Bolton up? You're ranking of him is irrelevant to you're ranking of Taylor.

Most clubs ranked Bolton top 20 in his draft year - some top 10 after he dominated the All Star game. Even most of the amateur phantoms had him 1st round.

The reason he dropped was because clubs were unsure if he'd settle outside of WA., not because of a lack of talent.
Missing my point, I'm not here to parrot the views of the collective, I've got different ideas to you on draft worthiness clearly, but a silky kick like Taylor is worthy of a high pick.

Reactions: 3 users
Hoping Adelaide don't take him either (though if they take Ward, then the Hawks will probably take Hobbs).

I think Hobbs either goes to GC, Hawks or the Tiges. I would love to get both Hobbs and MacDonald. With outside mids in Bolton (I know he goes inside) and Dow, and defensive mids in Graham, if we get these 2 and RCD comes along, then we have our engine room for the next 5-10 years, throw in Bakes too. Reckon those 2 would provide some balance to that midfield group, particularly around clearances.

Issue is, that's a very one paced midfield Posh. Only Bolton (possibly needed forward we're slow now there as well) has wheels, with Graham OK over a straight line.

Need more genuine burst/pace in the middle than that. Will hurt us both offensively and defensively ILHO.

Issue is, that's a very one paced midfield Posh. Only Bolton (possibly needed forward we're slow now there as well) has wheels, with Graham OK over a straight line.

Need more genuine burst/pace in the middle than that. Will hurt us both offensively and defensively ILHO.
Sounds like Gold Coast either want Callaghan (most probable) or Andrew.
I reckon Gibcus might slide.

My current thoughts:

1 JHF
2 Daicos
3 Darcy
4 (GCS) Callaghan
5 (GWS) Andrew (GCS will do a pick swap in 2022 to benefit GWS I reckon)
6 (Adelaide) Rachele
7 (Hawthorn) Ward
8 (Freo)
9 (Richmond)

Not sure if Freo would take Hobbs. What are peoples thoughts whether Freo would go for Hobbs?

If it got down to here, would we consider trading 28 (30) for their 61 (which would come into 54) to trade into Freos Pick 8 to get Hobbs?
We might consider but we would reach a sensible decision and hang on to pick 9 and take either Erasmus or Johnson, both far more promising than Hobbs.

Interesting comments on Bolton. I checked the phantom drafts for Twomey, Fox, Draft Central and Knightmare and the highest Bolton was ranked was 21 and the lowest 36. I don’t know where you pluck some of your comments or maybe I do.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Its becoming more clear by the day that the clubs rank 9 players in the top echelon and then see from 10 to 30 as very even. No WA players in that group and the one SA player.

Gold C, GWS, Melb and Lollingwood all saying the same thing.

Freo would be every chance to pick Hobbs as a replacement for Cerra if he got to 8, although rumour mill is suggesting they favor Andrew and Rachele.

If GWS don't trade down its because they are taking Callaghan which means it becomes less clear who the player is that lands at 9. Right now I'd be predicting Gibcus or Rachele
Not sure about Freo needing Hobbs. They just traded in Brodie. Plus they still have the likes of Serong and Brayshaw.

No doubt GWS and GC will define the top 10. Talk for a while has been Andrew to GWS. Not trading down might also mean they fear on losing Andrew as I don’t think he makes it out of the top 10.

I still think we are a very good chance of getting Hobbs. I don’t think either Andrew or Gibcus make it to our pick. Andrew for his potential and Gibcus for his intercept defending which is very much in vogue at the moment.

Ward won’t get past the Hawks.

As for Callaghan Adelaide won’t be able to call out his name quick enough.

Rachelle I agree with. He could also be very well on the board at our pick.

Reactions: 1 user

But we are also screaming out for a genuine clearance player. Hobbs fills that void.

Sonsie or Butler at 15 then adds that genuine pace to our midfield mix.

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
Yeah that would be a decent result mate. Either of those at 15 would be excellent.

Probably don't rate Hobbs high as seems everyone else on here, but a good safe pick and OK with it. We should balance it our later though.

Our team is very same same in the middle - shortish, slowish.

Not popular but the Goat a better fit/selection than Hobbs for Leysy. All personal choice though.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 2 users
But we are also screaming out for a genuine clearance player. Hobbs fills that void.

Sonsie or Butler at 15 then adds that genuine pace to our midfield mix.
How does the fact that Sonsie or Butler may have pace help the case for Hobbs who doesn’t?

Your comment that he replied to was "Even most of the amateur phantoms had him 1st round."

Maybe you do the research and link the Most phantoms you claimed rather than deflect and i emphasise the word "MOST' as per your claim
When your being paid to produce a Phantom Draft its not an amateur one genius

Well done turk-d-flog. The only thing you've contributed to this forum in the last month because its clear you've got nfi about the draft.
Alot more than you have done apart from your constant *smile* canning posters here.
Look in the mirror then ask yourself what a miserable person you must be.

Now lets talk about a coffee hero
PM me

Reactions: 1 user
When your being paid to produce a Phantom Draft its not an amateur one genius
Read your post !!! Your claim is very clear 'MOST PHANTOMS" you claimed , So you would rather go by the phantoms on sites like BF that the ones mentioned above where people who get paid get paid for a reason ?? LOGIC

LINK THEM

My work is done here.

I'm not interested in being bullied by a bunch of *smile* scumbags with nothing better to do than pile onto someone that has the audacity to provide an alternate view to Bullus and his minions!

Good riddance to all that joined the pile on.

• Dislike
  • Angry
My work is done here.

I'm not interested in being bullied by a bunch of *smile* scumbags with nothing better to do than pile onto someone that has the audacity to provide an alternate view to Bullus and his minions!
Seriously - How old are you constantly calling names like a child and chucking toys out of your cot
Maybe your better off playing with the kids at the park.

You talk about bullying when you are the one constantly antagonising and having pot shots at people who dont agree with your view , Its a footy forum which people are entitled to their views and right or wrong deserve respect which clearly you are not capable.

See Ya and make sure you close the door on your way out

Reactions: 7 users