2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

And how do you know I haven’t watched him several times live? Not to mention I played jnr footy with King for several years so may know a smidge about his strengths and weaknesses… But that’s cool, go with your childish comebacks when someone doesn’t agree. Always brings a good laugh!
I remember King as a largely uncontested player who lacked physical presence & who struggled to hit 20 touches a match. Very typical of the sorts we'd throw on the midfielder merry-go-round in the late 90s. He was a player we were probably hoping would blossom into the next Craig Lambert, unfortunately he would become yet another C grade midfieldder who wasn't particularly good at anything.

Another person who has watched a 2min video and now thinks their an expert

5 players are rated elite kicks in this draft

Callaghan, Wanganeen-Milera, Johnson, Fahey and Tom Brown. Taylor is not in the same class.
This is just your opinion, which is fine, but others rate Rachele as A class & have dual sided kicks like Sonsie & Taylor near the top of the charts. I woulld also be separating the flankers from the mids as players tend to react differently in space as opposed to congestion. Taylor is calm and composed in heavy traffic, he's very diificult to tackle given he has one of the sweetest sidesteps in the pool. Whether or not he goes in the first round is irrelevant for me personally, I rank him in the top 20, just the same as I ranked Shai Bolton in the top 20.

As for Taylor's weaknesses, occasionally he gets run down, that is something that may put some clubs off. I don't have his sprint time but I'm guessing he's around the 3 second mark, give or take.

Reactions: 4 users
Let's not all jump on Kong now.
He has had a minor disagreement with Bully. They will sort it out.
Everyone thinks theyre experts when it comes to drafts.
its an opinion base forum.
You could be right so could Kongy.
Only time will show who knew the kids.
Only people i care about who's right or wrong are our recruiting team.

If the player we want at 7 is gone should we go too Bris(14) or Syd(16) and do some pick swaps which may involve a future pick back our way?
So we can get Taylor plus another at 14/15 or 16?
It's hard to plan without knowing who we take at pick 7 but if I'm in complete control of the process then I would be aiming for something resembling what I did in the PRE Phantom, that is bundling some picks to move the 20s picks closer to the first round. My dream scenario -

9. Johnson / Hobbs
17. Goater / Sonsie
19. Taylor (bundling two twenties picks & receiving a junk 4th rounder)
30. Howes/Murley
60. Harrison

Rookie 1. Caminiti

DFA Schlensog

Reactions: 1 user
By the sounds we haven't spoken to him. we might think he will go top 5 or 6 or we think he isnt any good.
My source didn't even mention him

Rachelle himself has said all 18 clubs have spoken to him so how do you come to the conclusion we haven't spoken to him?
Maybe your source hasn't mentioned Johnson or Rachelle because we are interested? cloak and daggers? who knows?

Rachelle himself has said all 18 clubs have spoken to him so how do come to the conclusion we haven't spoken to him?
Maybe your source hasn't mentioned Johnson or Rachelle because we are interested? cloak and daggers? who knows?
We have spoken to Rachele, he's in the frame. On face value he's everything we value - outstanding kicking, hurt factor and scoreboard presence, AIS graduate with leadership skills and a player who rises to the challenge at every level dating back to under 16s.

Zac Taylor has also been contacted by 16 clubs so I'm assuming Richmond will be one of those teams.

Reactions: 5 users
If Taylor has 16 clubs speaking to him,then he's a certainty to go 15-22 ,can't see him lasting till our 26 picks.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Adelaide will take Rachelle at 4 if Callaghan doesnt slide to them.

The GWS & GC picks are very interesting. I can see GWS taking Andrew. But do GC have enough midfield quality to let Callaghan slip?
GC are intriguing and will play a big hand in who is available for us.
They've previously played the ballsy pick/trade so I can see them picking anyone in that top cohort. Maybe not Rachele giving their small forward stocks particularly Flanders and Rankine.

If Taylor has 16 clubs speaking to him,then he's a certainty to go 15-22 ,can't see him lasting till our 26 picks.
With academy bids that blows out to pick 30, I'd say the odds of Taylor being there will be close to zero. Think we need to talk to Freo.

By the sounds we haven't spoken to him. we might think he will go top 5 or 6 or we think he isnt any good.
My source didn't even mention him
Clarke mentioned we have Rachele ranked in the 5-8 range - so in the mix

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Sam Skinner signed by Port, he was one I considered but felt his three knee reconstructions just too much of a liability. Be interesting to see if his mobility has been severely impacted.

Sam Skinner signed by Port, he was one I considered but felt his three knee reconstructions just too much of a liability. Be interesting to see if his mobility has been severely impacted.
I think that's a low risk, low cost, high reward, dare I say it MONEYBALL pick.

We could and should do the same for Blake Schlensog, immediate Garth upgrade and who knows could be a forward.

Also allows us to attack the meaty part of the draft in mids and mid/fwds.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that's a low risk, low cost, high reward, dare I say it MONEYBALL pick.

We could and should do the same for Blake Schlensog, immediate Garth upgrade and who knows could be a forward.

Also allows us to attack the meaty part of the draft in mids and mid/fwds.
I looked at both really closely, was impressed by Skinner's new role in defence and felt his anticipation made up for the lack of agility. In saying that, I have Schlensog ahead based on age profile, versatility & clean bill of health. I think Schlensog is the perfect spare parts player, his 5 goal haul in the WAFL illustrated a player who could be thrown around the park as needed, although in saying that I think I prefer him in defence. Surprisingly mobile for a big lump of a lad I think by taking him now we avoid the teething issues & if he's a bust we move onto the next prospect. Moneyball indeed, state league guys should be your bread and butter outside the third round.

3 game's in 5 years
That's worse then Cathwaite
That's worse then Chol
Thats worse then Scott Homewood

I looked at both really closely, was impressed by Skinner's new role in defence and felt his anticipation made up for the lack of agility. In saying that, I have Schlensog ahead based on age profile, versatility & clean bill of health. I think Schlensog is the perfect spare parts player, his 5 goal haul in the WAFL illustrated a player who could be thrown around the park as needed, although in saying that I think I prefer him in defence. Surprisingly mobile for a big lump of a lad I think by taking him now we avoid the teething issues & if he's a bust we move onto the next prospect. Moneyball indeed, state league guys should be your bread and butter outside the third round.
Ideally we do what occur in the mock draft and trade 27/28 a pick 16-20 and select 4 kids plus Schlensog
not too sure how highly we rate him compared to say a Bazzo but having a 21 year old thats physically developed would allow us more options and less
with a better pick we may get combining the picks.

Strange that not more news has come out in regards to Schlensog after the cats/Tigers interest first broke

Ideally we do what occur in the mock draft and trade 27/28 a pick 16-20 and select 4 kids plus Schlensog
not too sure how highly we rate him compared to say a Bazzo but having a 21 year old thats physically developed would allow us more options and less
with a better pick we may get combining the picks.

Strange that not more news has come out in regards to Schlensog after the cats/Tigers interest first broke
My take is there could be some reluctance to get involved in a bidding war with Geelong, maybe the plan is to grab him in the rookie draft on minimum wages. Not sure but I would just pay the extra coin to ensure our tall is stitched up. The fact he can also pinch hit in the ruck also handy.