2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

I like Draper. Great size and athlete. Wins clearances, marks well, kicks goals, uses it. He's more in the frame for our second than Taylor for me. I think he'll go top 25.
Think he’s average. Your boy Butler on the other hand, besides testing very well in numerous categories at the Combine, is also ranked No.1 in the NAB League for contested possessions (9.2 per game), tackles (4.8) and goals (0.8) among all mid-forwards. You love him baby !!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Well, tickle me pink and call me Shirley but I haven't seen one person come up with a Clinton King comparison. Good on you for originality and best of luck with your 20/20 vision.
How many of your 'persons' know who Clinton King is let alone seen him play?

I rate u right up there with our very own Phantom as a judge of draft talent so expect u to at least see the similarities?

Gold Coast recruiter confirmed they are considering 6 players at pick 3.

Callaghan, Hobbs, Gibcus, Andrew plus Ward and Rachele.

When u add Horne, Daicos and Darcy that's GC top 9.

He also confirmed they are looking to trade up to pick 2 and won't be trading down.

Reactions: 1 user
Think he’s average. Your boy Butler on the other hand, besides testing very well in numerous categories at the Combine, is also ranked No.1 in the NAB League for contested possessions (9.2 per game), tackles (4.8) and goals (0.8) among all mid-forwards. You love him baby !!!
Draper's not my first, third or even fifth choice for 17 but I'd consider him strongly in the 20s. Prefer Owens for that type.

Butler's more a ground player. And I do like him.

Draper's not my first, third or even fifth choice for 17 but I'd consider him strongly in the 20s. Prefer Owens for that type.

Butler's more a ground player. And I do like him.
When are you gonna kick off your ”Buts In The Guts” campaign ? Fwiw we have spoken to him several times - which isn’t a surprise - and we have a very good line of sight on him. Whether he gets to us though, who would know. I think we were hoping he might be mid 20’s but that’s not looking all that realistic now.

• Haha
While Butler looks good, and possesses a great athletic profile, is a small forward really a need at pick 15? Rioli jnr and Stack will play there next year. 17 touches and 0.8 goals averages for Butler suggest he’s neither a full time midfield nor a full time small forward

Reactions: 1 users
In my initial 5 picks of a month ago, I did have both Williams and Bazzo but I've made a tweak, only going one tall on pick 27, the rest being mids, crafty forwards and running backs/wings. In the week of the draft, ill give my preferred draftees for each pick but now provide a broad wishlist for each pick. Any combination of the below and ill be doing cartwheels.

Are you all confident that we can nab at least one of these players for each of our picks? if so, would you still be willing to package 7 and 15 for a top 5 pick? I would only contemplate it if it was 7, 15 and a future first (gws won't except any of 26/27/28) for GWS 2 & 13 or 7 and 26 for Crows 4 & 33.
On reflection, getting crows 4 and 33 is more appealing, as not giving up a future first and I'm confident enough that a player who we think is likely to go in the mid 20's could slide into the 30's
If we cant snare a deal like that then look for a top 20 pick, i.e (17 to 20), package 27/28 or 28 and a future 2nd round pick (tied to Richmonds pick, not Norths).

The level of talent up to 30 is profound, a few nuggets will slide and we'll be ready to pounce especially with our trio of picks in the 2nd round. (if we don't trade 1 or 2 of those picks).

7 - Hobbs/Johnson/Gibcus/Erasmus
15 - Rachele/Goater/Sonsie/Taylor/Butler
26 - Chesser/Tom Browne/MacDonald/Murley
27 - Howes/Williams/Bazzo/Alleer
28 - Ronald Fejo Jr/Motlop/Clarke

Reactions: 2 users
Gold Coast recruiter confirmed they are considering 6 players at pick 3.

Callaghan, Hobbs, Gibcus, Andrew plus Ward and Rachele.

When u add Horne, Daicos and Darcy that's GC top 9.

He also confirmed they are looking to trade up to pick 2 and won't be trading down.
I read that. What a nothing article.

Not sure. And not sure we’ll get it either. But this came from someone up to their neck in all of this and well known to everyone. They also confirmed what I mentioned a couple of weeks ago and that is that we are trying to get one of Hobbs, Ward or Callaghan. He said he’d have it nailed down in about two weeks time.

I also asked about Matt Johnston and he said he wasn’t hearing that much about Johnston, as he was the others.
I can’t see it happening either. At pick 4 they are in the box seat to get Callaghan if GWS and GC go for Andrew and Gibcus respectively.

While Butler looks good, and possesses a great athletic profile, is a small forward really a need at pick 15? Rioli jnr and Stack will play there next year. 17 touches and 0.8 goals averages for Butler suggest he’s neither a full time midfield nor a full time small forward
Fair question. By extension you could ask the same of Rachele (although from what I’ve watched Butler has spent more time in his games going through the middle than Rachele has in his.) He projects as a mid with his running capacity and engine, just as for other reasons Rachele also has midfield possibilities. And even then, we’re not exactly loaded for ground level forwards right now either anyway.

I‘d also say that Butler missed a number of weeks with a cracked sternum. He’s also playing in a side that has Hobbs, Herbert, Lohmann, Marris all going through the middle so it’s a fair old swathe of mids where you’re maybe not gonna get the midfield time that you’d ideally like.

But don’t fall into the PRE Draft thread trap of just watching a highlights reel then reverting to stats. Watch a few games (not just one or two). There’s one v Murray you can watch on the NAB League app that doesn’t require any passes or has restricted access. You’ll get a good view of Butler (and others) and you can make you’re own mind up.

Reactions: 2 users
Bullus hit I know you don't rate Arlo Draper, but I rate this kid goal kicking midfielder plenty of upside.

I don't mind him, he's in my top 20, but is he a true midfielder? If he's not then you probably get better value down the order a bit.

Just thought I'd also include some key stats to help people understand where I'm coming from -

* averaged 25 disposals at under 18 level (7th overall)
* very consistent having only dropped under 20 touches 4 times
* averaged 5.2 clearances at u/18 level (2nd overall)
* kicked 9 goals for the season with a season high of 4 in round seven
* he's potentially a 100 metre player with his run and carry, that opens doors for a number of roles
* playing for SA he showed some ability to play as a rebounder so versatility a plus
* plenty of growth potential given he's only 71kg

All this amounts to the perfect rookie selection & player who has an excellent chance of succeeding when stacked up against the competition. Kicking technique looks fine to me, perhaps lacking some depth but that will improve as he gains strength.
thanks and well said.

Actually think (along with midfielders) small/medium forwards are just about the biggest need on our list ATM.

With D Rioli now a defender - along with Stacky you'd think. The cupboard is pretty bare up front. MJ has a long way to go yet to count on him being an AFL level player.

We saw our forward line really not function all year. Fair bit of that was around lack of class both at the feet of Tom/Jack and other hitup targets.

No issue using early picks for that role at all.

Reactions: 8 users
In my initial 5 picks of a month ago, I did have both Williams and Bazzo but I've made a tweak, only going one tall on pick 27, the rest being mids, crafty forwards and running backs/wings. In the week of the draft, ill give my preferred draftees for each pick but now provide a broad wishlist for each pick. Any combination of the below and ill be doing cartwheels.

Are you all confident that we can nab at least one of these players for each of our picks? if so, would you still be willing to package 7 and 15 for a top 5 pick? I would only contemplate it if it was 7, 15 and a future first (gws won't except any of 26/27/28) for GWS 2 & 13 or 7 and 26 for Crows 4 & 33.
On reflection, getting crows 4 and 33 is more appealing, as not giving up a future first and I'm confident enough that a player who we think is likely to go in the mid 20's could slide into the 30's
If we cant snare a deal like that then look for a top 20 pick, i.e (17 to 20), package 27/28 or 28 and a future 2nd round pick (tied to Richmonds pick, not Norths).

The level of talent up to 30 is profound, a few nuggets will slide and we'll be ready to pounce especially with our trio of picks in the 2nd round. (if we don't trade 1 or 2 of those picks).

7 - Hobbs/Johnson/Gibcus/Erasmus
15 - Rachele/Goater/Sonsie/Taylor/Butler
26 - Chesser/Tom Browne/MacDonald/Murley
27 - Howes/Williams/Bazzo/Alleer
28 - Ronald Fejo Jr/Motlop/Clarke
IMO given we have only 3 early picks next yr we are pretty much set up not to be trading those picks, we've wanted to strengthen our draft hand next yr not weaken it. IMO take the picks we have, if the top 30 is "profound" as u say then we are set up with a great hand as it is. IMO the cost of trading up will be too high to justify considering what we can do over this & next yrs drafts combined.

Reactions: 8 users
Actually think (along with midfielders) small/medium forwards are just about the biggest need on our list ATM.

With D Rioli now a defender - along with Stacky you'd think. The cupboard is pretty bare up front. MJ has a long way to go yet to count on him being an AFL level player.

We saw our forward line really not function all year. Fair bit of that was around lack of class both at the feet of Tom/Jack and other hitup targets.

No issue using early picks for that role at all.
Indeed. I keep harping on about it but Port did it with the Rozzee, Butters and Duursma. They took two mid-forwards with top 20 picks

And Leysy is right (I know, hens teeth) we seriously lack class in the forward half. When the ball hits the ground, it's Shai Bolton or... Jake Aarts.

We need better than this. We need weapons. It's time. This entire draft needs to be mids and mid/fwds.

1635970715522.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users