2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Geepers this Zac Taylor a nice mover, dual sided quick, gets a lot of the ball, gets clearances, kicks goals, what am i missing?

We take a tall at 7, we should consider him at 15 as I dont think he is going to last to 26.
I would consider him at 15 regardless of who we take at 7.

Reactions: 3 users
Taylor is exactly what we need. He also averaged 1.6 goal assists.

Happy to go with mid at pick 7 and get Taylor at pick 15. Midfield set. Then go for flankers/talls with out picks in the 20's.

Reactions: 1 users
Me too. 180cm, very outside. Short clone at best, which is ok, but prefer others.
Woah! Very outside?? He averaged 34 touches in his final 3 matches with the last being a 22 contested 11 clearance game. He also won the B&F playing fewer games than most & averaged 4.5 clearances in the Vic Metro trial games. Outside he is definitely not & his 1.6 goal assists a game ranks him 2nd in that key stat. If ever I saw a potential Zac Merrett prospect then Taylor is that player. Definitely worth a look at our second pick.

Reactions: 9 users
He had 22 contested possessions and 11 clearances in his last game, and averaged 4.5 clearances in 2 trial matches with Vic metro according to the AFL website.
Yeah I know but: 1) his preceding games outside possession has been his go and 2) clearances aren’t always inside possessions either. (Refer a couple of tap outs for example in the highlights which are clearance possessions but not contested or necessarily inside either.)

Woah! Very outside?? He averaged 34 touches in his final 3 matches with the last being a 22 contested 11 clearance game. He also won the B&F playing fewer games than most & averaged 4.5 clearances in the Vic Metro trial games. Outside he is definitely not & his 1.6 goal assists a game ranks him 2nd in that key stat. If ever I saw a potential Zac Merrett prospect then Taylor is that player. Definitely worth a look at our second pick.
What were the contested possession rates across all games - not clearances - contested possessions ?

Goal assists are NOT contested possessions either.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I know but: 1) his preceding games outside possession has been his go and 2) clearances aren’t always inside possessions either. (Refer a couple of tap outs for example in the highlights which are clearance possessions but not contested or necessarily inside either.)
That's just half glass empty Red, he has inside credentials and has proven that at state level. The fact he can play the outside role is to be applauded. I think most recruiters will be viewing him as an extremely well balanced midfield prospect.

Reactions: 6 users
That's just half glass empty Red, he has inside credentials and has proven that at state level. The fact he can play the outside role is to be applauded. I think most recruiters will be viewing him as an extremely well balanced midfield prospect.
No, it’s being logical about using a pick 15.

15 for Taylor would be a reach. Do you see that light, 180cm frame being effective on an inside/contested basis at senior AFL level ? It’s a big ask. Would require a lot more physical development than many others I reckon.

Not saying he can’t play but 15 would be overs relevant to others available be it Sonsie, Goater, Butler etc. 20-25 is about his right mark.

Reactions: 4 users
No, it’s being logical about using a pick 15.

15 for Taylor would be a reach. Do you see that light, 180cm frame being effective on an inside/contested basis at senior AFL level ? It’s a big ask. Would require a lot more physical development than many others I reckon.

Not saying he can’t play but 15 would be overs relevant to others available be it Sonsie, Goater, Butler etc. 20-25 is about his right mark.
Sonsie & Goater unlikely to be there I suspect, so if it's between Butler & Taylor I think I take the latter, and I don't think you can redefine the meaning of clearance given he uses his agility to create space. If players can't lay a glove on him then more kudos to the young man. Did Hobbs have a 22 contested, 11 clearance game this year? Don't forget Taylor only played eight TAC games this year yet still managed to take out the B&F. If we're talking Vic players who are slipping under the radar then Taylor is exhibit A.

The Cannons only played 9 games, bully. Goater only played 7. Hardly anyone else will get drafted from that club, at least not early.

Prefer others. Sonsie, Butler, even Murley. Acceleration. He's a neat player but I want burst.

At 26, different story.

Yeah, he can get the ball.
I want burst OR deft evasion, both are weapons of equal standing at the next level and aside from height there are very few knocks on Taylor. Some players simply have the knack of making work in congestion seem effortless. As a player who is genuinely dual sided, a player who can get involved in scoring chains & a player who's overall production is up there with the likes of Hobbs & Ward, I fail to see how he doesn't come into top 20 reckoning.

His best games were against the Bushies, Jets and Pioneers. Look at the team sheets of the opposition in those games and find me one mid who'll get drafted. Look at the Metro-Country game, when Daicos, Ward and Goater were the three bananas. He did some nice things. But how would he have gone if he'd swapped teams with MacDonald?

He's a good player. I'd consider him at 26, depending who we already have and who else is available. You like him for 15, fair enough.

His best games were against the Bushies, Jets and Pioneers. Look at the team sheets of the opposition in those games and find me one mid who'll get drafted. Look at the Metro-Country game, when Daicos, Ward and Goater were the three bananas. He did some nice things. But how would he have gone if he'd swapped teams with MacDonald?

He's a good player. I'd consider him at 26, depending who we already have and who else is available. You like him for 15, fair enough.
He also played well against Geelong Falcons, Mitch Knevitt should be drafted I assume. I think Taylor's finish to the season was as good as any and he didn't disgrace himself when playing Essendon reserves.

If people prefer Butler I can relate, it's a tough choice but I personally don't place Butler's kicking in the same class, everything about Taylor is giving me a Zach Merrett vibe. Even the knocks on his inside credentials makes me think back to Merrett's draft year.

I wouldn't draft Knevitt with a barge pole.

Butler's kicking is fine, albeit Taylor's is neater. Butler ahead on size, pace and aggression. We all have our preferences.

Reactions: 2 users

Butler's kicking is fine, albeit Taylor's is neater. Butler ahead on size, pace and aggression. We all have our preferences.
Is Butler genuinely dual-sided?

How tall was Ben Cousins? also did not see Chris Judd getting tackled much with his contested possessions. inside/outside elite mids do get tackled much.
He also has high hips so more growth is possible.

Is Butler genuinely dual-sided?
Is Prestia? Fyfe, Sloane, Neale, Zorko, Walsh, Cripps, Parish, Selwood, Oliver, Mitchell, Wines, Kennedy? Etc?

I'm old school, I think everyone should be dual-sided. It's a must if you're small and not especially quick, like Taylor.

Butlers size, pace and aggressiveness are what attracts me to a very neat skill seat. He could play any spot on the ground.

It's strong Zac Butters vibe. As for Taylor, I hope we get him with the three picks in the 20's. Might be the name but I see shades of Lewis Taylor if I want to be negative and shades of Jade Gresham if I'm being positive.

Last edited:
Reckon we're a massive chance of drafting Butler at 15. We love the combo (and have had great success) with pace and aerobic capacity at draft time.

Reactions: 5 users