2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

If we want Butler we'll have to take him at 15(17). Taylor might go before our next pick but Murley probably won't and I prefer him anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Butlers size, pace and aggressiveness are what attracts me to a very neat skill seat. He could play any spot on the ground.

It's strong Zac Butters vibe. As for Taylor, I hope we get with the three picks in the 20's. Might be the name but I see shades of Lewis Taylor if I want to be negative and shades of Jade Gresham if I'm being positive.
As one on Butler.

My first thought on Taylor was Scott Watters. Might be the hair.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be torn if Butler and Sonsie are both there at 17. In that case I like the idea of training two of our 20s picks to ensure we get our men. Or, if we really like the draft, next year's Norf pick.

Johnson or Hobbs at 9, unless Gibcus or Andrew slip.

Sonsie and Butler. Or maybe Owens. If he projects as a mid he's a very interesting prospect. Late September birthday. 190. Very strong in the air and the contest.

Then Howes and/or Murley.

Reckon we're a massive chance of drafting Butler at 15. We love the combo (and have had great success) with pace and aerobic capacity at draft time.
Is he a genuine midfielder Leysy ?

His athletic profile is perfect, but can he play as a genuine midfielder ?

not much of it here

Is Prestia? Fyfe, Sloane, Neale, Zorko, Walsh, Cripps, Parish, Selwood, Oliver, Mitchell, Wines, Kennedy? Etc?

I'm old school, I think everyone should be dual-sided. It's a must if you're small and not especially quick, like Taylor.
Not exactly my point, I'm comparing Butler & Taylor and have pegged Taylor as the better kick based on his dual sided capability and the fact his first instinct is to kick.

Butlers size, pace and aggressiveness are what attracts me to a very neat skill seat. He could play any spot on the ground.

It's strong Zac Butters vibe. As for Taylor, I hope we get him with the three picks in the 20's. Might be the name but I see shades of Lewis Taylor if I want to be negative and shades of Jade Gresham if I'm being positive.
Well, Lewis Taylor is much shorter, not nearly as accurate with his kicking & has decent speed. Zac uses his agility as opposed to raw pace, but in saying that he's not a slug and he can also deliver pinpoint passes on his non preferred. Athletically he's Zach Merrett, not a pacey break away runner but agile enough to get out of trouble. He's the same height as Merrett, he has the same knocks as Merrett and his kicking is on par with Merrett.

If people want Butler then I wouldn't grab Murley because they offer a similar skill set and will be competing for the same role. From my perspective Zach is the last of the elite kicking mids in the pool, that's effectively why I would take him at 15. I would then look at Murley with a pick in the twenties & also grab a potential wingman in Howe.

Not exactly my point, I'm comparing Butler & Taylor and have pegged Taylor as the better kick based on his dual sided capability and the fact his first instinct is to kick.
Yeah, I get that. I'm saying the difference isn't the deal breaker.

Well, Lewis Taylor is much shorter, not nearly as accurate with his kicking & has decent speed. Zac uses his agility as opposed to raw pace, but in saying that he's not a slug and he can also deliver pinpoint passes on his non preferred. Athletically he's Zach Merrett, not a pacey break away runner but agile enough to get out of trouble. He's the same height as Merrett, he has the same knocks as Merrett and his kicking is on par with Merrett.

If people want Butler then I wouldn't grab Murley because they offer a similar skill set and will be competing for the same role. From my perspective Zach is the last of the elite kicking mids in the pool, that's effectively why I would take him at 15. I would then look at Murley with a pick in the twenties & also grab a potential wingman in Howe.
Murley is a beautiful kick. They're all competing for the same role in a sense. Or more than one role, in another.

Lewis Taylor is 5cm shorter than Zac. From memory you were in love with him too?

Yeah, I get that. I'm saying the difference isn't the deal breaker.

Murley is a beautiful kick. They're all competing for the same role in a sense. Or more than one role, in another.

Lewis Taylor is 5cm shorter than Zac. From memory you were in love with him too?
Lewis Taylor was my pick in the Ben Lennon draft, he's fallen off the proverbial cliff after winning the Rising Star award. I reckon his undoing was his finishing skills, that's something that has actually gone backwards, although he wasn't a noted goal kicker in his junior years. Without the scoreboard influence he's become expendable, tough luck but dems da breaks.

Murley is comparable to Butler in that they will probably spend plenty of minutes as pressure forwards. I don't see that type of influence with Zac Taylor, I think he will spend a lot more time as a pure midfielder.

Sinn
Goater
Taylor
MacDonald

in that order
If we go for a mid at pick 7, as I think we should, I think we may go for a tall at 15.
If will finally depend however on who is available.
Some think Johnson might still be there?
Can’t see it but if the decision is to take a second mid
or potential mid at 15, then certainly Chesser will be considered.
Fast and clean. May be a better prospect than those above, and would fit well with Erasmus at 7.

Those with a good eye will spot it.
Well, tickle me pink and call me Shirley but I haven't seen one person come up with a Clinton King comparison. Good on you for originality and best of luck with your 20/20 vision.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I wouldn't draft Knevitt with a barge pole.

Butler's kicking is fine, albeit Taylor's is neater. Butler ahead on size, pace and aggression. We all have our prpreferences.
So not a fan of big Mitch. Footskills?

What are you thinking we will give up to get it down?
Not sure. And not sure we’ll get it either. But this came from someone up to their neck in all of this and well known to everyone. They also confirmed what I mentioned a couple of weeks ago and that is that we are trying to get one of Hobbs, Ward or Callaghan. He said he’d have it nailed down in about two weeks time.

I also asked about Matt Johnson and he said he wasn’t hearing that much about Johnson, as he was the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Bullus hit I know you don't rate Arlo Draper, but I rate this kid goal kicking midfielder plenty of upside.

I like Draper. Great size and athlete. Wins clearances, marks well, kicks goals, uses it. He's more in the frame for our second than Taylor for me. I think he'll go top 25.