WK4 Finals: Going For Gold. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WK4 Finals: Going For Gold.

Katy Perry supposedly getting $5 million for her GF day appearance. Works out $1million per song.
End the farce. Get up and coming Aussie talent for GF day.
Spend the money on grassroots football.

Reactions: 7 users
Katy Perry supposedly getting $5 million for her GF day appearance. Works out $1million per song.
AFL are a bunch of idiots
I would have done it for half the price!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I heard a good idea this time last year (as this topic only comes up during GF week) and just have tribute performers as we all only want to hear timeless classics, so eg a Beatles cover band, a Stones cover band, a KISS cover band, a Neil Diamond cover, a Motley Crue cover band, a Gunners cover, a Kylie cover, an Oils cover band, a Fleetwood Mac cover band, an INXS cover band etc etc, so we get to enjoy the classics and not have to spend $5m for 15 minutes performing time.

Reactions: 3 users
Years ago I went to a Semi Final and Ross Wilson was playing the crowd had a great time.
I thought Lionel Ritchie was great but most of the others have been Elmer Fudds..

Reactions: 1 user
5 mil ? yikes! that's a lot of coin for mediocrity...and a little disgusting

that kind of $$ would go a long way to pay local talent and support grassroots football

Reactions: 2 users
If the clowns at AFLHQ remotely cared enough to venture any more than 20 or 30km out of the city, they'd be in for a rude awakening as to how badly the grassroots game is faring.

I'm sure there'll be some league delegates at Old Brighton v Old Scotch tomorrow at leafy Elsternwick Park for the Ammos Premier grade GF, quick to assure people how 'well' the 'real' game is faring out in the 'knockabout' 'burbs. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
If the clowns at AFLHQ remotely cared enough to venture any more than 20 or 30km out of the city, they'd be in for a rude awakening as to how badly the grassroots game is faring.

I'm sure there'll be some league delegates at Old Brighton v Old Scotch tomorrow at leafy Elsternwick Park for the Ammos Premier grade GF, quick to assure people how 'well' the 'real' game is faring out in the 'knockabout' 'burbs. :rolleyes:

They simply don't care.

DS

I’ll be at Elsternwick Park tomorrow.
Real footy with great park atmosphere.
Better than the contrived BS the AFL dish up these days.

Which btw is some excellent fixturing by the VAFA!

I’ll be at Elsternwick Park tomorrow.
Real footy with great park atmosphere.
Better than the contrived BS the AFL dish up these days.
I don't doubt it's a great product - I know for a fact it is. It should be a cracking day with a great crowd.

But Ammos footy is not representative of the grassroots game. It's the absolute toffee end of local footy which fits in well with the AFL's boys club/private school image - an image that is so far removed and out of touch.

Nothing salt of the earth about the Ammos or its charade that it is 'Amateur' with the players doing it 'for the love of the game', as the VAFA slogan goes.

I don't doubt it's a great product - I know for a fact it is. It should be a cracking day with a great crowd.

But Ammos footy is not representative of the grassroots game. It's the absolute toffee end of local footy which fits in well with the AFL's boys club/private school image - an image that is so far removed and out of touch.

Nothing salt of the earth about the Ammos or its charade that it is 'Amateur' with the players doing it 'for the love of the game', as the VAFA slogan goes.
There may be a couple of players from each club getting jobs for the boys etc but the majority of players in the AMO’s are young guys who love playing footy. They may be privileged but to suggest it’s not grass roots because of their socio economic background is just wrong.
It’s quality football with skill and speed. Great to watch.
I played both A grade amateurs and 1st division Diamond Valley League. No different other than the latter would try to belt the bejesus out of you.

There may be a couple of players from each club getting jobs for the boys etc but the majority of players in the AMO’s are young guys who love playing footy. They may be privileged but to suggest it’s not grass roots because of their socio economic background is just wrong.
It’s quality football with skill and speed. Great to watch.
I played both A grade amateurs and 1st division Diamond Valley League. No different other than the latter would try to belt the bejesus out of you.
If you think only a couple from each club get remunerated in some way then I've got some magic beans to sell you.

The AFL is paying Katy Perry $5 million to perform tomorrow, yet expect taxpayers to fork out $1B+ for a stadium in Hobart that isn't needed.

It's outrageous

I can't pick the GF winner. Leaning towards Sydney. Brisbane have more 'ifs'. If Brisbane can get a more even 4Q performance out of a few more players, eg Bailey, Hipwood, Paine, if Fort can hold his own, Neale and Zorko lift, they'll be looking good. They beat Geelong last week without any of that happening. Daniher will have to continue his good form too. Sydney training run V Port and week off could be good or bad, Amarty could do nothing, or everything.

If you think only a couple from each club get remunerated in some way then I've got some magic beans to sell you.
I remember in the early 1980s a guy at work was playing for a club in the inner western suburbs and he said the better players were getting paid more money than the players at the local VFA Club.
Some local clubs have very rich benefactors. Prior to the points system being brought for recruits one club in the local competition only had a 1sts side and just brought Premiership after Premiership. The coach was an ex AFL coach.