What changes would you like to see next season? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What changes would you like to see next season?

Tigers of Old said:
A few quick thoughts..

Clearly we need some players who've now been on the list a few seasons to take the next step in their development.

A genuine backup option if (heaven forbid) an injury happened to Rance. Elton & Astbury must stake their claims.
As it stands both would struggle and Chaplin would have to play that role. I dread the thought. What is the plan B?

See McIntosh spend more time in the middle and get his contested numbers up. Has the tank to play on ball and can win his own footy. He's potentially our Bont with a little less class.
More mobile forward line. We have some excellent lead up forwards in Lennon, Deledio, McBean, Lloyd & Riewoldt. These guys know where the goals are and are smart enough to stay out of each others way. Lets use their natural attacking instincts.

Edwards too now needs to spend as much time in the middle as possible.

Really wan't to see McBean given an extended period in the seniors if he continues to kick goials in the VFL. He can't improve if he's not given exposure at the highest level and he has served his apprenticeship.

Pray that Hampson can miraculously blossom into a serviceable ruckman.

Agree with all that ToO, i would also think IMO in the coaches mind that Macca could possibly play down back also, he played that 2nd tall running packmen in TAC from what i read, the great thing is with Townsend, Moore and Yarran plus the extra year in Macca, few games for Corey and Beanie there should be more choices this year even though our list has got substantially younger in terms of games...

Im excited about 2016, IMO RFC are certainly planning for sustained success by turning over half the list in the last 2 years, this coming year is crucial to keep the momentum going.

tigerman said:
All valid points Sintiger. My wanting Dusty to play forward is all about match ups, as a forward he is a very hard match up. The more match ups we can get to our advantage the better we will be.
He is a great midfielder, but I think played up front he would be our 2nd best forward behind Jack.
Just because I said it doesn't mean you are wrong Tigerman !

My feeling is that we don't want Dusty to have to play forward a lot and we are trying to build a team with other options. He will play forward from time to time no doubt, especially if our forward line is malfunctioning and a game is close

Rance in the guts didn't work so lets try him at full forward and Morris didn't work in the forward 50 so lets have him in the guts.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Rance in the guts didn't work so lets try him at full forward and Morris didn't work in the forward 50 so lets have him in the guts.

have another LEO...

Its a bit like that for some....

A dual AA in defence that has has us in top 3-4 last 3 years straight would be lunacy putting him anywhere else, double lunacy as he is one of few the runs and drives out of defensive 50...

Love morris and his dad but he is best as depth and driving standards for the kids in the VFL going forward...

FWIW im on the Changs!

Griff - First Ruck

Hardwick to loosen the strings with his rigidness. Create some flexibility so he has somewhere to go when the game is going against us.

Jack to roll through Centre Clearances regularly. Ditto Vlastuin.

Leysy Days said:
Hardwick to loosen the strings with his rigidness. Create some flexibility so he has somewhere to go when the game is going against us.

I think you nailed it there...

In saying that Im a hardy supporter and i don't think he has had the types to be versatile , as others have pointed out were going into season 2016 with only 19 players that have played more than 50 games, IMO based on sustained success and culling a list that wasn't versatile enough, i still think were 2 or so years way from winning, would love to see top 4 this coming year but geez, what an achievement that would be given our list games played...

We've absolutely recruited to be versatile going forward, he may have missed it with speed etc, but he's nailed it in this respect for sure and added the much needed speed in the versatile stakes!

Sustained success going forward...

Edited because I've had a few changs in Thailand...

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Yep you must have knocked a few 'Changs' down if you thought I was serious on that post TT ;D

Damn straight, its hot down here, need to keep hydrated :rofl

Tigertough1974 said:
I think you nailed it there...

In saying that Im a hardy supporter and i don't think he has had the types to be versatile , as others have pointed out were going into season 2016 with only 19 players that have played more than 50 games, IMO based on sustained success and culling a list that wasn't versatile enough, i still think were 2 or so years way from winning, would love to see top 4 this coming year but geez, what an achievement that would be given our list games played...

2 years away??? Jack (especially) and Lids will be on the downhill run.

And sorry but that 19 players over 50 games is a poor copout TT.

Firstly the correct answer is 21, Hawthorn also "only" have 21 players with more than 50 games. Are they still 2 years away? Likewise Sydney way less than us with 16 and Geelong 19. At a glance think only 24 players over that threshold is the highest in the land (Freo). If using that stat we have zero excuse re: experience TT.

Also disagree re: lacking the types to be versatile. He just doesnt try the right types. Jack for starters and secondly Nick Vlastuin should have played a number at stoppages last year, we then could have gone to either (or both) of those big bodies to stem the flow against North when things were swimming against us.

No-one can tell me Roughead is a better player than Jack, but because of Clarksons lateral thinking he gets far more out of his asset than we do.

I would like us to win in the air when we kick down the line. We just seem to be outmarked or at least a nil all draw.

Also I want us to get cheap goals in general play. We have to fight harder for our goals. A few cheap ones will do wonders for our percentage.

Leysy Days said:
2 years away??? Jack (especially) and Lids will be on the downhill run.

And sorry but that 19 players over 50 games is a poor copout TT.

Firstly the correct answer is 21, Hawthorn also "only" have 21 players with more than 50 games. Are they still 2 years away? Likewise Sydney way less than us with 16 and Geelong 19. At a glance think only 24 players over that threshold is the highest in the land (Freo). If using that stat we have zero excuse re: experience TT.

Also disagree re: lacking the types to be versatile. He just doesnt try the right types. Jack for starters and secondly Nick Vlastuin should have played a number at stoppages last year, we then could have gone to either (or both) of those big bodies to stem the flow against North when things were swimming against us.

No-one can tell me Roughead is a better player than Jack, but because of Clarksons lateral thinking he gets far more out of his asset than we do.

Although I agree that our age bracket shouldn't have a lot of influence to our top 4 and premiership hopes, the line of Vlastuin to the middle hasn't been proved in any capacity so far, and with no guarantees that he will suddenly become the revelation some think he might.

Jack has worked out OK playing midfield but i don't see a lot of other options as far as changing up the on field set up last year, other than personelle changes in the actual team, which hopefully we will see this year in some more recent draftees

Unfortunately, our A graders have failed to prove their A grade status when it really counts

Cheaper beer.
More income.
More holidays.
Less cold winter.
Tiggers feared by other teams.
Tiggers hated by other teams supporters.