Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

I like the bit about contested ball winner, now that's something we could do with more of.

Here's hoping Sonsie can bring this to AFL level.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
The ability to change your mind midway through a disposal realising it's not the right option to then find a better one is something that can't be taught. Arthur shows this ability.

Reactions: 3 users

1. Nick Daicos​

Playing in a distinctively lively, clean, smart and stylish yet arrogant manor, Daicos is a prime mover. In traffic, he displays agility and evasion, moves around with his arms outstretched, so if he gets tackled, he's poised to deliver the releasing handball to a target, in a style mirroring Scott Pendlebury. In combination with this, Daicos is a master of dropping his knees to draw free kicks, making him even more dangerous in traffic. If no free kick is drawn, because his arms are outstretched with ball in hand, he'll deliver the handball on time and on target. Averaging 35 disposals and two goals in his first four NAB League games, Daicos is eligible to join Collingwood as a father-son selection. With the ease and consistency with which he impacts games both through the midfield and forward of centre, Daicos has not only entered the pick one conversation, but is now seen by many as the favourite to be chosen first in this year's draft. Daicos pushes ahead of Jason Horne on the back of his superior start to the season.

2. Jason Horne​

Horne is a goalkicking midfielder who influences games both as a mid and forward. Playing a competitive brand of football at SANFL League level, what stands out with Horne is his application defensively. Every week Horne pressures opposition ball carriers, connects on his tackles and often smothers opposition kicks. Horne takes on the game with his run, evades opponents with ease and hurts the opposition with his ball use. Through the midfield he wins the ground balls, while as a forward, not only is Horne damaging with ball in hand, but he's also a strong marking threat both aerially and in contested situations. While Horne's early 2021 play has been strong, it has not been comparable to Daicos from an accumulation or offensive impact perspective, resulting in Horne dropping to second place.

3. Tyler Sonsie​

The MVP for Vic Metro during the Under-16 Championships, Sonsie is a classy midfielder and forward. One of the premier contested ball winners in this year's draft, Sonsie plays with an attacking flair and can change games in a matter of minutes. He is one of the best kicks inside-50m in this year's draft pool, with his ball use, composure and decision making under pressure among his greatest points of difference. Sonsie also displays a burst of speed and has some line-breaking capabilities. With his 24-disposal, two goal performance for Box Hill in the VFL against Werribee where he featured among the best players on the field, Sonsie has only enhanced his reputation and drawn closer to this year's top-2.

I'm no Knightmare fan but I'll give him his due. Having Daicos ahead of JHF was bold then. Most people did not agree, including me. It would've been easy to slot SOP in at 3 or 4 and go with the majority as he was always getting to the Pies. But it's proved to be correct by a long way. And having Sonsie at 3 is something that over time might be proven to be correct.

In the modern era, even going back to say 1990 I think Daicos is having the best first yer season ever. He might win the Pies B&F. Sonsie isn't as prolific a ball winner but he definitely has better foot skills. We have a good win. This might be one of those picks that people look at and go 'How?" in five years.

Reactions: 3 users
I couldn't tell which is his preferred kicking side. Looked good on both. Nice debut. A couple of times showed composure & took the right option.

I couldn't tell which is his preferred kicking side. Looked good on both. Nice debut. A couple of times showed composure & took the right option.
He's proper dual sided. even bounced the ball with his left hand when he ran down the wing before delivering on his left.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I'm no Knightmare fan but I'll give him his due. Having Daicos ahead of JHF was bold then. Most people did not agree, including me. It would've been easy to slot SOP in at 3 or 4 and go with the majority as he was always getting to the Pies. But it's proved to be correct by a long way. And having Sonsie at 3 is something that over time might be proven to be correct.

In the modern era, even going back to say 1990 I think Daicos is having the best first yer season ever. He might win the Pies B&F. Sonsie isn't as prolific a ball winner but he definitely has better foot skills. We have a good win. This might be one of those picks that people look at and go 'How?" in five years.
I think the opposite. For ages Daicos was touted no.1 and it was a shock that he started to slip (although I think it may be that he was always going to the Pies). As shown in the Stan doco, Daicos was a little shocked when his manager told him we wouldn't be pick 1.

Nice to see Sons get his first goal tonight and show a bit of emotion as well.

Good goal too. Showed a few others in our team how it is done.

Reactions: 7 users
Nice to see Sons get his first goal tonight and show a bit of emotion as well.

Good goal too. Showed a few others in our team how it is done.

He had a cracking handball on defensive 50, where he threw himself at the ball and fired it out all in one motion. We went from one end to the other and it ended with Soldo fluffing a shot at goal. Sonsie's class really stands out.

Reactions: 6 users
Just clean, again showed class and smarts.

Keep playing the boy. I can see the club going the easy call and dumping him.

Reactions: 1 users
Class. Hope he doesn't get infected by the butchery and stupidity virus that is running through the club at the moment.

Didn't seem to get a lot of game time, looked like he belonged when he was on the ground.