Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Conversely, if there’s a time to nurse an ageing player through a few extra games just to get him to the 100 mark it’s during a season where we’re unlikely to win many games (especially if we’re rewarded for losing).

You make a fair point that any of our players *could* have kids who *could* turn out to be AFL level players. Well, Marlion definitely DOES have kids and they seem to be reasonably talented. So right now, given the probabilities, it might be smarter to bet 10 games on him than a younger bloke who doesn't have kids yet (I'm assuming that's what you're arguing).

Will the Pickett kids be good enough to be drafted? Who knows… that’s still a few years away.

But if only one of those boys turns out to be a gun, then that’s 10 bad performances that I can live with. If not, then bad luck – we rolled the dice and lost. Big deal! Besides, he’s a two-time premiership hero, so let’s have a bit more respect for the bloke.
:clap2 .... This!

Reactions: 1 user
Conversely, if there’s a time to nurse an ageing player through a few extra games just to get him to the 100 mark it’s during a season where we’re unlikely to win many games (especially if we’re rewarded for losing).

You make a fair point that any of our players *could* have kids who *could* turn out to be AFL level players. Well, Marlion definitely DOES have kids and they seem to be reasonably talented. So right now, given the probabilities, it might be smarter to bet 10 games on him than a younger bloke who doesn't have kids yet (I'm assuming that's what you're arguing).

Will the Pickett kids be good enough to be drafted? Who knows… that’s still a few years away.

But if only one of those boys turns out to be a gun, then that’s 10 bad performances that I can live with. If not, then bad luck – we rolled the dice and lost. Big deal! Besides, he’s a two-time premiership hero, so let’s have a bit more respect for the bloke.

Excellent point. Even if he plays 6 games (or whatever the number is) in the seniors and the rest in the reserves he'll add a lot for the kids even at that level.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
We don’t know if any of his kids will make it. But we can be absolutely sure the tigers will get them into elite pathways and give them every possible chance.

believe it or not marlion's presence on field is precisely what's required for emerging youngsters.
the lazy slur is a joke, he busts his gut for loose & disputed ball, hard run & protection, the adjective should be applied to those making the call.
his kicking & marking technique granted have deteriorated....doesn't worry me for this & next year.
his contribution is vital & is insanely under used at centre stoppages.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
You can bookmark it Pickett finishes on 98 or 99n games and his kids all become guns for the Doickers,,,,,Its just how things seem to work with the RFC as opposed to the Maggots who are seemingly kissed on the *smile* at every opportunity.

I'd rather get Marlion to 100 and remove any possibility.

The seasons shot anyway. Time to try and grab whatever fortunes out of it we can.

Reactions: 8 users
He gets another year for me

We will have enough retirements and delistings this year and most likely just take 5 selections in this draft

Cumberland , Grimes , Coulthard ,Green , Graham and probably 1 of Prestia / Martin

Not to mention the Baker/Rioli situation

Last edited:
I really don't care about whether his kids will make it in AFL and whether Marlion gets to 100 games for so we can potentially access his kids. Probability is too low.

I reckon Marlion justifies his place in the team. He is, what, 32 I think, but has not played AFL level for as many years as most older players. He does screw up, not alone there, but he is also a big contributor. I reckon his tackling has dropped off because of the victimisation from the MRP and he simply has no idea how he is meant to tackle and not get fined (some of those fines have been ridiculous) - that's not on him.

He is a quality player and I would pick him in the team kids or no kids.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Seems like a born tagger to me. Run with a few of the big names to make them uncomfortable and hurt them the other way. What would I know….

I would be more than happy to give him another year whilst in rebuild mode

He is an experienced player with maturity and wisdom beyond his years due to his backround and what he has gone through
wont cost much in cap space and plays all over the ground

Sure he stuffs up at times but never gives up and tries his heart out
He deserves 1 more year

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Seems like a born tagger to me. Run with a few of the big names to make them uncomfortable and hurt them the other way. What would I know….
Agreed

As I’ve said before I don’t side with the getting him to 100 games just because he has kids .

If we want to keep a senior player who busts his guts on a wing and is a great club man ,while leaving the other wing for a kid to learn his trade then keep KMac .

I can’t buy the Pickett as a forward from anyone , 18 months of nothing proves this , one game where commentators highlighted MP doing a tap on was all we could find as a highlight .

The Myth for me with MP is flexibility, he’s been a very good AFL wingman and thats it , no good as a forward and though many have called for him to go into the middle , fact is he dosent have the needed clean touch in there otherwise we would have played him there

I still see the brilliance he does , however the turnovers have become more and though he tackles as good as any we have the one handed aerial attempts are as bad as we have .

As achillies said play him as a tagger , imho that’s the only role worth persisting with , in saying that there’s kids who could learn the future roles better by starting out as taggers .

Of all the over 30s MP is probably the soundest body ( calf a worry ) , however I see enough “ role” senior players in that bunch and I rather cull from their then keep .

Sorry I just don’t see MP the footballer adding much to us going forward and I’m not convinced off field he ads a lot , in no way that means bad things , he just a very private family man.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Put him on the rookie list for the next 3 seasons so he can be in the team when his son debuts, wouldn't that be amazing.

• Haha
  • Love

Sorry I just don’t see MP the footballer adding much to us going forward and I’m not convinced off field he ads a lot , in no way that means bad things , he just a very private family man.

In pre-season he was leading the 1-4 year players. At every training session with a key focus to teach and show. I think he very much has a role in "leading" the young kids.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users