Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

One of only a handful who ran hard all night. He makes blues, but he goes again. Good example. As eddy says above, comfortably inside our best 22, and with all our injuries, plenty of kids are getting games, we need some senior bodies.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
What about the kids on our list now , not getting an opportunity both in the team or on a wing because we need to get Marlion to 100 games because he has children who may or may not play football , let alone be good enough or want to play AFL . Sorry DD but I disagree with the get him to 100 games argument, the Richmond football club has done more for MP then he could never do for them , we owe him nothing but thanks for taking the opportunity we gave you to become a dual premiership player.
Yep - so many hypotheticals here and it’s been a big call to compromise team selection basically for this entire season. And all for this optimistic guess that one or more of his kids might - just might - be good players for us one day

As you say - what about the games not given to young blokes on our list - some who may be delisted as a result?
And even worse - go on to successful careers at other clubs

Who knows (rhetorical question - obviously nobody knows now) whether or not one of those (delisted) blokes might have made 100 games and had champion kids themselves eligible for F/S in season 2044

If he’d legitimately got to 95 games by Rd 18 then sure - gift him the last 5 as sub and lock it in

But it’s been uncomfortable watching it roll out the way it has this year

Reactions: 1 users
Yep - so many hypotheticals here and it’s been a big call to compromise team selection basically for this entire season. And all for this optimistic guess that one or more of his kids might - just might - be good players for us one day

As you say - what about the games not given to young blokes on our list - some who may be delisted as a result?
And even worse - go on to successful careers at other clubs

Who knows (rhetorical question - obviously nobody knows now) whether or not one of those (delisted) blokes might have made 100 games and had champion kids themselves eligible for F/S in season 2044

If he’d legitimately got to 95 games by Rd 18 then sure - gift him the last 5 as sub and lock it in

But it’s been uncomfortable watching it roll out the way it has this year
Were you saying the samething over the past 2yrs when we practically carried Shedda/Cotch & Jack too 300 games?You can also argue we're doing the same with Dusty.

Reactions: 1 users
He’s getting selected every week because he’s in the best 22, it has nothing to do with his kids. In terms of effort he’s probably in the best ten. This is the 2024 team, not the 2018 juggernaut.
Agree with you at this point that he’s best 22 and that has nothing to do with the kids , however at 1-8 this season it quickly becomes all about the kids as Pickett and quite a few others become sadly irrelevant in our future , I’m sure Blair an co won’t make the mistake at clearing out all our senior players , however we Have much better players on contracts who will fill the role of leadership for the Cubs going forward , for me Pickett is not one of them imho . Bottom line the MC agree with yourself and Marlions fans . Marlions hard running is without doubt a great example for his young team mates , he’s head dropping and inept efforts at times is not .

One of only a handful who ran hard all night. He makes blues, but he goes again. Good example. As eddy says above, comfortably inside our best 22, and with all our injuries, plenty of kids are getting games, we need some senior bodies.
Agree and disagree

Equal first in the team for score involvements
6th for contested possessions
5th for metres gained
2nd most one-percenters
3rd for AFL ratings points
Equal 5th for inside 50s
6th for rebound 50s
10th for kicking efficiency
Equal 9th for ground ball gets
Equal first for goal assists (1)
3rd for pressure acts

Don't have the GPS data but imagine he was top-5 for distance covered

Agree and disagree
What do you disagree with? That we need senior bodies? That he ran hard all night? That he went again? That he's in our best 22?

Reactions: 2 users
5th for metres gained
2nd most one-percenters
Equal 5th for inside 50s
6th for rebound 50s
3rd for pressure acts

What do you disagree with? That we need senior bodies? That he ran hard all night? That he went again? That he's in our best 22?
That he ads much value going forward , though those stats certainly boost your argument

That he ads much value going forward , though those stats certainly boost your argument
If we had everyone fit and firing and had a phalanx of hard runners to choose from, he might come under scrutiny. But as we stand I think his spot is pretty safe.

Reactions: 8 users
If we had everyone fit and firing and had a phalanx of hard runners to choose from, he might come under scrutiny. But as we stand I think his spot is pretty safe.
No doubt , Id just rather get games into others , particularly on the wing and forward

5th for metres gained
2nd most one-percenters
Equal 5th for inside 50s
6th for rebound 50s
3rd for pressure acts

Is that over the season - or just last night?

But I understand your point that in a weakened team he is (arguably) best 22 or 23

My take is that irrespective of all that - Marlion is basically the only player at the Club who is assured of not being dropped or even being "managed" this season
And that's because the Club wants to ensure he gets to 100 games by the end of the season.

And I can't see him playing next year either

Is that over the season - or just last night?

But I understand your point that in a weakened team he is (arguably) best 22 or 23

My take is that irrespective of all that - Marlion is basically the only player at the Club who is assured of not being dropped or even being "managed" this season
And that's because the Club wants to ensure he gets to 100 games by the end of the season.

Last night.

I doubt your take.

He is one of the few mids who can run hard defensively. Dow and Sonsie can't and age is catching up with Dion. Shai and Dusty aren't defensively players either. It is one of the reasons we were smashed last night. The Dogs mids workmate made ours look like school boy stuff.

Reactions: 3 users
He gets the game plan, can play multiple roles and fill gaps as and when needed. In the last 3 weeks he has tagged, played full forward, half forward, mid, ruck, wing and half back. The team needs 3 or 4 of these types and he is one. Hence he plays when fit.

Reactions: 6 users

In all likelihood he has the 15 game automatic renewal trigger in his contract. That's a standard clause. So unless he decides to hang up the boots he might well be offered a new contract for next year.

I suspect that's why Kam got dropped. May help prevent the 15 game trigger.

Reactions: 1 user