Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Good on him and the.club. Hopefully rid of that stupid tradition they tried to manufacture with captains wearing 17.

In regards rioli's number didn't Maurice where a number in the 30's after dispute with Sydney, why can't he start with that?

bullus_hit said:
I don't agree with it on the grounds he will be carrying greater expectation, I'd just like to see him serve a decent apprenticeship in the reserves and then stake his claim for a decent number. Too much hype and expectation isn't overly productive, especially given he has to deal with the famous name.

Are you saying he's not The Messiah?

jb03 said:
Good on him and the.club. Hopefully rid of that stupid tradition they tried to manufacture with captains wearing 17.

Absolutely jimbob. There is no more pressure than Dusty wearing number 4 or Ty number 29.
It's just a number worn previously by some great Richmond players and some not so great.
Importantly though it was his uncles number. No doubt he was asked and he's taken it. It's awesome IMO.

Agree with that. Love what Jack Dyer gave to the club & means to the club but also like the fact his number can be given to any player deemed worthy & not just the Captain.

After seeing Maurice star in No. 17, look forward to seeing Daniel forge his own career in it.

Happy that this Wallace inspired rubbish of the captain wearing 17 is over.

The fans will get a real buzz from a Rioli gracing the MCG wearing 17 for Richmond

Happy Days

its just a number. it would have no bearing on his career. Doubt he would even feel the slightest bit of pressure from fans regarding the number. The only time he would probably think of it is when he looks up and sees his uncles name on the locker.

This smacks of a marketing department decision. The AFL has a history of Aboriginal kids struggling with the pressures associated but instead of nurturing him quietly, we're whacking him in the limelight when he's done nothing yet and thrown him in 17, the first player to wear it since Cotch killed the captain tradition they were trying to get off the ground. No pressure much ::)

Tigers of Old said:
Absolutely jimbob. There is no more pressure than Dusty wearing number 4 or Ty number 29.
It's just a number worn previously by some great Richmond players and some not so great.
Importantly though it was his uncles number. No doubt he was asked and he's taken it. It's awesome IMO.
Dusty wears 4 now, but he started with 36.