Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

PS: the more I think about it, I don't see how this deal gets done.

If the Suns really do go ahead and move pick 13 to another club, they will have made their task of landing Rioli immeasurably harder. Probably impossible.

I don't understand their tactics, to be honest.

Last edited:

If the Suns really do go ahead and move pick 13 to another club, they will have made their task of landing Rioli immeasurable harder. Probably impossible.

are they going the bluff?
Craig Cameron is an idiot
hope it backfires and RFC laugh in their face

Reactions: 1 users
are they going the bluff?
Craig Cameron is an idiot
hope it backfires and RFC laugh in their face
If I was forced to make a call: yes, I think they're bluffing. It will be 7 + 14 to the Tigers for Rioli.

My read on Hartley's body language and tone is that 7 + 24 doesn't get it done. And neither it should.

It must involve a distinct premium. Richmond doesn't need to accept anything less.

I'm not sure what the Suns' future pick situation is, but that's the only other way this could go.

I won't be shocked to see Rioli lining up for us in 2025.

The vital thing in this negotiation is to put yourself in the shoes of the Suns.

Two parts to this.

Daniel Rioli, a player who will quantifiably improve us, is achingly close to being on our list. It's a tantalising prospect. Imagine if we screw it up? Then imagine we end up with John Noble on the HBF and finish 11th again next season? We could have improved our culture and our competitiveness, strengthened our character, but we got cute at the negotiating table.

Same old Suns, always losing.

The second part relates to Rioli's contract with Richmond.

At the Suns, we know our position is one of total impotence. We have no say in how Richmond values their player. We know he will play out his contract if we can't satisfy them. We understand this requires a hefty premium ... there is no other way to prise a player from a contract. If we choose not to play ball, it's doubtful Richmond could care less.

By the way, the Tigers not sellers. Banish the talk of what's fair, what Richmond should accept, what Rioli is worth. It's all noise.

Instead, listen to Blair Hartley: "They came to us, it's up to them to knock our socks off with a godfather offer."

He'll be filing his nails until the last moments of the trade period when the Suns fold like a deck of cards and stump up a knockout price.

Has there even been a mooted trade in AFL history where one club has a stronger position than Richmond right now?

The question for the Suns at the heart of this negotiation is: what premium do we need to pay for a contracted player who will significantly improve our club?

Let's face it: pick 7 by itself in a near-lottery is a sick joke. Adding pick 24 is risible. Stick your "strong draft" up your jumper ... at 24, your chances of getting a 100-game player are remote: the all-time average is less than 80 games at this pick.

Don't even start to discuss draft points as a measure.

Right now, the Suns are the Essendon of the north: a deeply unserious club. They have seduced our best player, yet feel it's their place to posture and swagger.

Meanwhile, a stone's throw away is a rival that turned around its fortunes by recognising where it was at and stumped up two first-round picks for Lachie Neale and a massive haul of picks for Josh Dunkley.

Hardwick is a smart bloke. The tough part is done: finally, a gun player has offered his services to the Suns.

They will pay, and it will be a handsome sum.

Princely, you could say.
Agree GC is an unserious club, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
If I was forced to make a call: yes, I think they're bluffing. It will be 7 + 14 to the Tigers for Rioli.

My read on Hartley's body language and tone is that 7 + 24 doesn't get it done. And neither it should.

It must involve a distinct premium. Richmond doesn't need to accept anything less.

I'm not sure what the Suns' future pick situation is, but that's the only other way this could go.

I won't be shocked to see Rioli lining up for us in 2025.
Yeah I think 7 and some future exchanges that add genuine value

24 ain’t enough

It’ll be something equating to pick 19ish in value

Just find the Noble thing strange. With all respect to him as a player and I do rate him. He is essentially on the fringe at Collingwood. He got dropped for Oleg and missed the GF in 2023 and I think he also took a few games in 2024 to get back into the side. Clearly GC (Hardwick) want Rioli and have made overtures for a while. He went up and spent time with Dimma early in the year. This is not a new development. GC Appear to have been committed to Daniel for a while. A guy who is leaving with 3 flags, 4 years on his contract and is the reigning Jack Dyer medallist. Now trade in doubt because they appear ready to give overs to Collingwood. Noble is not worth the pick Collingwood want.

Anyway - it will all play out in the fullness of time.

If the Suns really do go ahead and move pick 13 to another club, they will have made their task of landing Rioli immeasurably harder. Probably impossible.

Bluff is their tactics.
If they’re stupid enough to move 13 onto someone else, that’s their problem.
We get to keep Rioli.

If you land Daniel Rioli, you bring in hope, character, mettle and seriousness to your football club.

If you land John Noble, you bring in a half back flanker.

Reactions: 2 users
What's more important to GC: John Noble or Daniel Rioli ?
Exactly.
Imagine the Suns hand over pick 13 for Noble.
Good luck explaining that to Daniel Rioli.
Yeah we’ve been telling you all year how much we want & value you, but in the end we wanted Johnny Noble more than you.

Any list manager who rates Noble above Rioli would be frog marched out the door.

These deals almost invariably get done, not always but almost always.

They will have some extra draft capital when the Lukosius deal gets done and then things get moved around.

For everyone querying Collingwood getting pick 13 from Gold Coast for Noble. It's hardly going to be a straight swap.

You do all realise it will also involve Collingwood handing over it's Round 1 pick in 2025 (amongst other things).

Noble will be valued at a pick around 25-30 by Gold Coast.

Reactions: 4 users
For everyone querying Collingwood getting pick 13 from Gold Coast for Noble. It's hardly going to be a straight swap.

You do all realise it will also involve Collingwood handing over it's Round 1 pick in 2025 (amongst other things).

That's right. But we don't care. Rioli stays if they take that path.

So regardless, GC need to make a decision: what's more important Noble or Rioli ?

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

True.
So they either pay up for Rioli pick 6 &13 or they don’t.
The equation for the club doesn’t change, regardless of what the suns may or may not get for pick 13.

So Blair says, to the Suns the price for Rioli is pick 6 & 13.
Take it or leave it.
End of story.

Apprantly the club said No to Collingwood
It would be interesting to see if they would entertain Melbourne.
I reckon if the club thinks he isn't going to 100% right to go for preseason and we get something like what you have posted.
We would stupid not to do it.
Pay 50% of his salary get him to Melbourne on a 2yr deal.
And get there 1st. Unbelievable list management
Been saying for some time that we should be looking at the possibility of trading Lynch and that Melb would be a possible destination, (this especially as, imo, Balta with an improved midfield, will do just as well).
One factor is longevity and there isn’t much left.

Another is list space.
We have Blight and Gray coming in and at the moment 4 retiree’s plus Baker and Graham heading to the West Coast and Coulthard, Cumberland and McIntosh at this stage, not looking likely to be with us next year.

That leaves 7 vacancies only at the present time.

• Dislike