Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Yep...a beautiful sentiment..and spot on when we are winning.
But right now..we are crap.

I loved Richo and Joel Bowden , Foley ....Stephen Ryan...and many more....but they never won anything. Losers sadly. Part of losing , struggling sides.
I took Tys to see Richmond lose almost every time...for 30 years.

I dont want that.

There is no easy or nice way out of this.
My father once told me when I felt stuck... "Desperate times call for desperate measures".
He was absolutely correct.

The good thing is..we have our destiny in our own hands...for once ...this draft and next.

Put sentiment aside right now...we need to be clinical , methodical and tough to be winners again.

Take a look at the EPL. Thats the model for success.

Reactions: 2 users
If you get luck like Cripps falling to your pick, you need the system ready to go to build a team around that player.
Just got triggered by your comment around Crappa n building a team around such a player. Perhaps coz the term building a team hit a nerve while thinking about all our departing players after our era.
Crappa - 13
Walsh - 1
Weiter - 1
McKay - 10
Curnow - 12
Docherty - 12
E Hollands - 7
O Hollands - 11
Martin - 1
Marchbank - 6
Cerra - 5
There's a fairly large amount of early pick premium talent there on the list for a current return of nil success. Just so bloody crucial for any club to get that blend of player talent, core team work ethic, and personality bond all together at the same time to have any chance of being successful once as a few clubs have been recently. To build a dynasty club that can win multiple flags or simply play finals n contest for flags repeatedly must take something extraordinary.

If you think every pick is going to turn into a 200 game player......history says that's very unlikely to happen.
Yep. Of our 4 recent 300 gamers they came out of 3 drafts with years between them. Add in the 200 gamers and that’s more drafts. It won’t be fixed in 1, 2 or even 3 drafts. Like it or not, we’re going to be stuck at or near the bottom for a good number of years.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got triggered by your comment around Crappa n building a team around such a player. Perhaps coz the term building a team hit a nerve while thinking about all our departing players after our era.
Crappa - 13
Walsh - 1
Weiter - 1
McKay - 10
Curnow - 12
Docherty - 12
E Hollands - 7
O Hollands - 11
Martin - 1
Marchbank - 6
Cerra - 5
There's a fairly large amount of early pick premium talent there on the list for a current return of nil success. Just so bloody crucial for any club to get that blend of player talent, core team work ethic, and personality bond all together at the same time to have any chance of being successful once as a few clubs have been recently. To build a dynasty club that can win multiple flags or simply play finals n contest for flags repeatedly must take something extraordinary.
In no way did I mean to imply that the blues have built a system to support Cripps.

I apologise for my triggering comment and anything that remotely comes across as supportive of Carlton.
Also a few to add to your list from SOS.
  • Liam Sumner (Pick 10 in 2011 Draft)
    • Left Carlton: Delisted at the end of 2017
  • Rhys Palmer (Pick 7 in 2007 Draft)
  • Lachie Plowman (Pick 3 in 2012 Draft)
    • Left Carlton: Retired 2023
  • Kristian Jaksch (Pick 12 in 2012 Draft)
  • Jed Lamb (Pick 21 in 2010 Draft)
    • Left Carlton: Delisted at the end of 2018
  • Jarrod Pickett (Pick 4 in 2014 Draft)
    • Left Carlton: Released from contract in 2019
  • Matt Kennedy (Pick 13 in 2015 Draft)
    • Maybe not a negative. But Also maybe not a positive.
  • Will Setterfield (Pick 5 in 2016 Draft)
    • Left Carlton: Traded to Essendon at the end of 2022
Also, the Liam Stocker master trade is missing from your list with the traded* asterisk.

Yep. Of our 4 recent 300 gamers they came out of 3 drafts with years between them. Add in the 200 gamers and that’s more drafts. It won’t be fixed in 1, 2 or even 3 drafts. Like it or not, we’re going to be stuck at or near the bottom for a good number of years.
Certainly won't be when you're only getting one or at best two premium quality picks per year. According to the reports from the " experts " this seasons draft is supposed to be choc full of premium n very good talent, something that rarely comes along. So ideally the best scenario would be to hit this draft as hard as you can. With our players retiring, shifting clubs plus mega injuries we'd be crazy not to attack this draft with everything we can get. Whether we like it or not, we're going to struggle on field over the next few years so the choice will be gather a big core through the next couple of drafts n then as they start to develop and mature bolster with a raid on some premium talent to fill any gaps. Or hoover up some dribs n drabs for a couple of years then pray for a miracle when Tas corrupts the draft and limp along again after that with more bits n pieces while still hoping for that miracle to eventuate.

In no way did I mean to imply that the blues have built a system to support Cripps.

I apologise for my triggering comment and anything that remotely comes across as supportive of Carlton.
  • Liam Sumner(Pick 10 in 2011 Draft)
  • Rhys Palmer(Pick 7 in 2007 Draft)
  • Lachie Plowman(Pick 3 in 2012 Draft)
  • Kristian Jaksch(Pick 12 in 2012 Draft)
  • Jed Lamb(Pick 21 in 2010 Draft)
  • Jarrod Pickett(Pick 4 in 2014 Draft)
  • Matt Kennedy(Pick 13 in 2015 Draft)
  • Will Setterfield(Pick 5 in 2016 Draft)
Also, the Liam Stocker master trade is missing from your list with the traded* asterisk.
Geez. I've taken a man look at things n missed half of their misery :)) :)). Sorry just couldn't stand looking at their playing list for long enough to investigate deeply enough. If we wanted to really pick holes we could also add a Judd - 3 retired 2015 n Kruez - 1 retired in 2020 as just another little taste of premium that they couldn't build a successful team around.

Reactions: 1 user
If you think every pick is going to turn into a 200 game player......history says that's very unlikely to happen.
as p and t said, there are no guarantees with any of these draft picks, but id rather go down having a crack at it

the alternative is no mans land for a decade...at least

however, it will hurt losing rioli, i wont lie, he's prob my favourite player, but if HE wants to leave, and the trade nets us a top 10 pick, im taking it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
as p and t said, there are no guarantees with any of these draft picks, but id rather go down having a crack at it

the alternative is no mans land for a decade...at least

however, it will hurt losing rioli, i wont lie, he's prob my favourite player, but if HE wants to leave, and the trade nets us a top 10 pick, im taking it.
Im not advocating taking a couple of picks. We need to put a big net out there.
Our issue is some are going to be busts, or just turn out to be foot soldiers rather than stars.

• Liam Sumner(Pick 10 in 2011 Draft)
  • Rhys Palmer(Pick 7 in 2007 Draft)
  • Lachie Plowman(Pick 3 in 2012 Draft)
  • Kristian Jaksch(Pick 12 in 2012 Draft)
  • Jed Lamb(Pick 21 in 2010 Draft)
  • Jarrod Pickett(Pick 4 in 2014 Draft)
  • Matt Kennedy(Pick 13 in 2015 Draft)
  • Will Setterfield(Pick 5 in 2016 Draft)
They still have about 15 players that were at other clubs. They have got most pretty cheaply. Harsh on Kennedy .
Just saying it doesnt mean rebuild with just nd picks.
Like ND picks get your trades right and you can speed up your rebuild.

Where are Carlton at ? Who really cares but you would have to say if honest they are now not too far away.

I reckon we are at a point where simple value adding is a neccesity.

Where are Carlton at ? Who really cares but you would have to say if honest they are now not too far away.
Could be true, but fortunately they still seem to be tripping over the shoe laces and stumbling whenever things get important. They might be at the point where they challenge and take the prize over the next few years, or hopefully miss out for another year or two n rapidly fade back into the miasma of mediocrity.

Could be true, but fortunately they still seem to be tripping over the shoe laces and stumbling whenever things get important. They might be at the point where they challenge and take the prize over the next few years, or hopefully miss out for another year or two n rapidly fade back into the miasma of mediocrity.
well here's hoping to that last sentiment.

I think also sometimes you get most things right in a rebuild but never get the chocolates simply because there is a better team in the same window.
It happens.

I think we'd take pick 5.
It may be a bigger and more complicated deal than that. I heard a suggestion from someone that I quite liked.

The suns have two other factors at play here. One is that they still need the points for Lombard and we have the picks to help them. The other is the possibilty that Lukosius gets traded to Adelaide.

This is what I was sent.

Somewhere in all of that is the potential for us to help them with points and end up some nice picks. There has been a suggestion that Adelaide may back themselves to have a better 2025 and trade their 2025 pick 1 for lukosius and get maybe the suns 2nd or 3rd pick from 2025 back. Adelaide are not going to trade out their 2024 pick for lukosius.

We could end up with something like the suns 2024 pick 1 and Adelaide’s 2025 pick 1 for Rioli and a bunch of our stockpiled 2024 picks.

The suns would get Lombard and Rioli for their pick I in 2024 and a 2nd or 3rd rounder from 2025. Adelaide would get Lukosius for a downgrade of their 2025 draft hand. We get a top 5-6 pick in 2024 and a pick probably in the teens in 2025 for Rioli and a bunch of picks we may not use.

It may be a bigger and more complicated deal than that. I heard a suggestion from someone that I quite liked.

The suns have two other factors at play here. One is that they still need the points for Lombard and we have the picks to help them. The other is the possibilty that Lukosius gets traded to Adelaide.

This is what I was sent.

Somewhere in all of that is the potential for us to help them with points and end up some nice picks. There has been a suggestion that Adelaide may back themselves to have a better 2025 and trade their 2025 pick 1 for lukosius and get maybe the suns 2nd or 3rd pick from 2025 back. Adelaide are not going to trade out their 2024 pick for lukosius.

We could end up with something like the suns 2024 pick 1 and Adelaide’s 2025 pick 1 for Rioli and a bunch of our stockpiled 2024 picks.

The suns would get Lombard and Rioli for their pick I in 2024 and a 2nd or 3rd rounder from 2025. Adelaide would get Lukosius for a downgrade of their 2025 draft hand. We get a top 5-6 pick in 2024 and a pick probably in the teens in 2025 for Rioli and a bunch of picks we may not use.
The Suns dont actually need more points this year- they already have about 7 billon thanks to the great system the AFL created that allowed them to get 4 1st rd picks last year while adding more picks this year. They will be looking to add future picks not trade them away.

and the Crows would be crazy to give their future 1st for Lukosius. They havent finished above 10th in about 7 years.

The suns have picks 5 13 20. Doubt they'll give pick 5. They'll most likely offer 13 and 20.

I don't think the suns even get a seat at our table without 5 being part of an offer.

Reactions: 13 users

This is what I was sent.

As Brodders said, the Sunz are good for points. Our late picks will probably get us a teens pick this year though: Brisbane's, as they do need points for Ashcroft and Marshall.

Carlton have had a mass of injuries towards the end part of the season (19 on the list atm) . It's just more proof of how important maintaining a healthy list is in a realistic tilt at the premiership and backs up why the Tigers have been so uncompetitive this year. They have a good list. Bombers on the other hand are just cr@p.

Why the Suns?
great footballer, no rocket scientist.
anything to do with his "hip hop DJ, TikTok sensation" fiance?

Why the Suns?
great footballer, no rocket scientist.
anything to do with his "hip hop DJ, TikTok sensation" fiance?
Possibly, but more because Dimmesiah needs help. Dan's getting married so the weather would suit him better and also be closer to get home to Tiwi Islands.