Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Filthy Tiger said:
Sounds like nothing.

media got to justify their existence.

Happened in a jumper tackle early in session, clearly in discomfort went to bench had fingers taped and then trained for another hour.
Scans precautionary no doubt.

Bullarto Tiger said:
I believe Daniel Rioli will be the best of all the Riolis, including Maurice and that's saying a lot.

Unlikely to be as good as Maurice but that would not be embarrassing. Maurice was B&F in 1982 and 1983 (first 2 years playing for the Tigers) and 5th, 2nd, 4th in subsequent years. He won the Norm Smith medal in the 82 grand final despite us losing. He won the equivalent grand final medals in 80/81 in WA. He was an outright champion. Daniel has a long way to go to get to that level, I'll be ecstatic if he gets 3/4ers of the way there.

tigerlove said:
Unlikely to be as good as Maurice but that would not be embarrassing. Maurice was B&F in 1982 and 1983 (first 2 years playing for the Tigers) and 5th, 2nd, 4th in subsequent years. He won the Norm Smith medal in the 82 grand final despite us losing. He won the equivalent grand final medals in 80/81 in WA. He was an outright champion. Daniel has a long way to go to get to that level, I'll be ecstatic if he gets 3/4ers of the way there.

The only player I can think that comes anywhere near to Maurice recently is Simon Black.

If we want Richmond to be great again (2017 is gone lads) then forget Lynch and Riewoldt for thirty seconds we need a real small weapon and I think Daniel can be it. When you look at other teams players like Fantasia, Betts, Cyril Rioli, Walters, Bruest, Le Cras, De Goey are/were devastating small forwards who deserved as much attention as the traditional towers of FF and CHF.

Daniel Rioli has the potential to be that type of player given his ability to mark, get to a contest, tackle offensively and turn half chances into goals - his accuracy and agility. And what is more when everyone else has been blanketed there have been games when Rioli has become the focal forward - i.e. he possesses real class and can impact the scoreboard when everyone else is struggling.

What I think he suffers from is role confusion. Can he do more midfield time, is he just a defensive "run_chase" forward like his wrist strapping suggests, who can also kick an opportunistic goal. I would love him to step up and consider himself to be a deep forward. Yes he will get up the ground and transition - that is the modern game. What he has to grow into is the realisation that he is the dangerous forward who will score goals for Richmond each week.

To date the coaching expectation has been that he can have a good game and not score a goal - as long as he provides defensive pressure. Ok to date - he is a young player. But in 2019 lets move the goalposts and say Daniel you are a 40 goal forward.

Tom and Jack will do well in 2019. Tom, Jack and Daniel will do better.

Brettstigers said:
If we want Richmond to be great again (2017 is gone lads) then forget Lynch and Riewoldt for thirty seconds we need a real small weapon and I think Daniel can be it. When you look at other teams players like Fantasia, Betts, Cyril Rioli, Walters, Bruest, Le Cras, De Goey are/were devastating small forwards who deserved as much attention as the traditional towers of FF and CHF.

Daniel Rioli has the potential to be that type of player given his ability to mark, get to a contest, tackle offensively and turn half chances into goals - his accuracy and agility. And what is more when everyone else has been blanketed there have been games when Rioli has become the focal forward - i.e. he possesses real class and can impact the scoreboard when everyone else is struggling.

What I think he suffers from is role confusion. Can he do more midfield time, is he just a defensive "run_chase" forward like his wrist strapping suggests, who can also kick an opportunistic goal. I would love him to step up and consider himself to be a deep forward. Yes he will get up the ground and transition - that is the modern game. What he has to grow into is the realisation that he is the dangerous forward who will score goals for Richmond each week.

To date the coaching expectation has been that he can have a good game and not score a goal - as long as he provides defensive pressure. Ok to date - he is a young player. But in 2019 lets move the goalposts and say Daniel you are a 40 goal forward.

Far too much logic, Delids for a Satdey arvo! :hihi
You need to pop open a James B Beam or two!

Love your comments though on our Dan! :clap

Brettstigers said:

nailed it.

Tommy H said:
The only player I can think that comes anywhere near to Maurice recently is Simon Black.

Simon Black was a gun, one of my favourite players that didnt play for the Tigers.

Barring injury I see Rioli been a big improver next season , imho his role will change and he will become part of the midfield rotation

A full preseason and this kid will show the AFL world how goos he is.
We are really fortunate to have him. The kid is gun.

I watched last year’s prelim the other day and Daniel was as good as anyone out there. It wasn’t just the 4 goals and the game high tackles - he was just involved in everything, and positively impacted heaps of critical contests. Those hoping for a higher level for him should be buoyed by the fact he’s already been there.

se7en said:
So let me get this clear
Rioli and Fev are the hottest couple in the AFL?

Apparently. Hearld sun 'the next afl power couple"
Let them have kids. Has Daniel played 100 games??

It's probably a small thing, but I keep thinking about his game against the Suns last season when he had 26 touches on a wing.

Yeah the Suns are rubbish, but I think Daniel is just scratching the surface as to what he can become.

zippadeee said:
Apparently. Hearld sun 'the next afl power couple"
Let them have kids. Has Daniel played 100 games??

Kid needs to cut ties with Fevola. The Kardasian curse will strike