Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith

Kaleb Smith just completed his first season for RFC. Consistently a 20 touch HBF at VFL level. Lately getting the odd 20+ touches. It's a pretty good foundation for 2025.
Played 15 very good VFL games this season, but could only get 2 'full' AFL games, on face value he hasn't been managed very well.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m ok with seeing how he goes next year, tm. I think he was solid in his first year back from a year off with injury. He’s a bottom ager so again I’m ok with us giving him a solid year in the VFL.

That said, I’m dying to call farce on him. Just not yet.

Radical view - I’d like to see us try him forward.

On his playing forward in the AFL I put that down to a coach quirk. Wanting to have a look at him. No more than that. Personally I’d like to see him tried forward in the off season.

Reactions: 1 user
With so many first and second round picks this year, we’ve got to be realistic about some of our third and fourth round selections making the grade as they’ll most likely get run over by higher draft picks that can’t all play midfield.
I like Smith but he’s no Trevaglia

Reactions: 2 users
With so many first and second round picks this year, we’ve got to be realistic about some of our third and fourth round selections making the grade as they’ll most likely get run over by higher draft picks that can’t all play midfield.
I like Smith but he’s no Trevaglia
I agree with your first sentence, but to be fair to Kaleb, he's a bout 3 inches shorter than Trevaglia, and they're different types of players.

Fair call, DA. And yes, tm, he is a different type. I actually don't know what type he is at this stage. He's quick but he's not naturally outside. He's not an aerialist. He wants a contest and he can win one. Try him forward? In the middle? Maybe.

Kaleb Smith is fourteen months older than Jagga Smith. Just finished his first season after missing all of 2023. No rush here but pressure is coming. Good.

Reactions: 5 users
Still uncontracted, wonder what he's been told during his exit interview?

Contact still being worked out,...told to wait and see like McIntosh or perhaps wants to go back to WA?

Last edited:
Think they've got a few, more announcements and the club will drip feed them out to try and promote some feel good positivity over the next week or two.

I'm just hoping against hope that Dow isn't one of them.............................................

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Still uncontracted, wonder what he's been told during his exist interview?

Contact still being worked out,...told to wait and see like McIntosh or perhaps wants to go back to WA?
I'd say Trez, Lebba and Blight will be given contracts next week.

Good to read that Smithy has signed for 2025. I'd like to see him train with the midfielders during the preseason, he has pace which is what our midfield desperately needs.

Good to read that Smithy has signed for 2025. I'd like to see him train with the midfielders during the preseason, he has pace which is what our midfield desperately needs.
Is he as quick as people think ? Not so sure.

Reactions: 3 users
Is he as quick as people think ? Not so sure.
He's like grease lighting Redders. I've got a lot of confidence in this young lad.

Perth Top Performers​

Standing Vertical Jump
1. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 76cm
2. Griff Julian (West Perth) – 74
3. Josh Draper (Peel Thunder) – 70

Running Vertical Jump
1. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 95cm
2. Conrad Williams (Claremont) – 89
3. Josh Draper (Peel Thunder) – 87

Agility
1. Toby McQuilkin (South Fremantle) - 7.800 seconds
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 7.871
3. Kaleb Smith (East Fremantle) – 8.052

20m Sprint
1. Kaleb Smith (East Fremantle) – 2.881 seconds
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 2.911
3. Griff Julian (West Perth) – 2.994

2km Time Trial
1. Toby McQuilkin (South Fremantle) – 6:40 minutes
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 6:41
3. Conrad Williams (Claremont) – 6:42

He's like grease lighting Redders. I've got a lot of confidence in this young lad.

Perth Top Performers​

Standing Vertical Jump
1. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 76cm
2. Griff Julian (West Perth) – 74
3. Josh Draper (Peel Thunder) – 70

Running Vertical Jump
1. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 95cm
2. Conrad Williams (Claremont) – 89
3. Josh Draper (Peel Thunder) – 87

Agility
1. Toby McQuilkin (South Fremantle) - 7.800 seconds
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 7.871
3. Kaleb Smith (East Fremantle) – 8.052

20m Sprint
1. Kaleb Smith (East Fremantle) – 2.881 seconds
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 2.911
3. Griff Julian (West Perth) – 2.994

2km Time Trial
1. Toby McQuilkin (South Fremantle) – 6:40 minutes
2. Baxter Phillip (Perth) – 6:41
3. Conrad Williams (Claremont) – 6:42

Hmmm. Maybe. I thought he was quick too back then. But I reckon he's lost a yard since his foot injury Toigs.

Let's see what he presents like after a full pre season.

Hmmm. Maybe. I thought he was quick too back then. But I reckon he's lost a yard since his foot injury Toigs.

Let's see what he presents like after a full pre season.
He has leg speed but don’t focus on that. Elite user by foot. We don’t have many of those.

Kleb's purely a watch for me for the next couple of years. Completely unsure about him at the moment. I've seen him look slow n undecided as to what to do with the pill a few times at VFl level, yet at the same time he seems composed, moving into space and searching for the best / correct option while he's got the damn thing. Might purely be that he needs that couple of seasons worth of games to find some timing n rhythm for senior footy rather than junior footy.

Reckon he’s going to be needed to fill Rioli’s role and replace the line breaking speed off half back that we’re losing…

• Haha
Think he is going to be another almost player. Will show a few signs here and there but nothing special. I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong and he becomes a gun but get slight Dow vibes with him.

Think he is going to be another almost player. Will show a few signs here and there but nothing special. I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong and he becomes a gun but get slight Dow vibes with him.
Not sure what you are basing these mysterious ‘vibes’ on. Has played bugger all games. The games he has played has been in a side with a severely compromised back line structure, due to injuries. The notion that a young player can make immediate impact at AFL is unrealistic, save from a small number of freakish high end draft picks.

Reactions: 4 users