Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

He looks good with the ball usually and is a beautiful kick when on song...that ripper goal against wet toast came at a critical time.
But the opposition will work to take advantage of his defence deficiencies. They will isolate him and look to play through his direct opponent. Same with BEllis.

Reactions: 1 user
He was terrible early against the Lions with panicky, wide of the mark handballs, but to be fair i thought he improved as the game went on to have an ok game.

You’re right
In the first quarter some of his kicking was awful - especially for a bloke whose main asset is meant to be long and direct kicking.
And in the first minute of the second quarter he made a great running break with the ball and tried to handball ahead to Caddy who was only 5 metres away - and missed him by a metre. The ball was intercepted and went out of bounds and all advantage lost.
But then he did better things for the rest of the 2nd qtr

If he is kicking well he is worth his spot and we just have to hope he hits his targets at the Gabba.

He looks good with the ball usually and is a beautiful kick when on song...that ripper goal against wet toast came at a critical time.
But the opposition will work to take advantage of his defence deficiencies. They will isolate him and look to play through his direct opponent. Same with BEllis.
The Pies will expose Short again, i think he has slightly improved his contested work, but he needs to be better.

His hands are very poor. Might have a penetrating kick when he has time and space but he fumbles, two grabs and is slow to dispose by hand.

People don’t seem to get that the backline is a fraternity. If Houli is bursting through the middle then Shorty is back on his man. That’s how we roll, there’s always cover.

There’s no doubt in my mind that the other defenders know Shorty is in a rut. So he does the dish washing. Sits back on the oppo small more often so Houli can run.

This is exactly what opposition teams would want, a defensive liability like Short deep one on one. No matter which way you spin it he's our weakest link.

His hands are very poor. Might have a penetrating kick when he has time and space but he fumbles, two grabs and is slow to dispose by hand.

his kicking this year hasn't been great either, unsure whether that's more an issue with confidence/decision making though

We certainly need a very good game from Shorty in the QF to help us win but we also need a very good game from each of the other 21 players. IMO it is going to take a complete team effort to beat a very confident Brisbane. Personally I don't think that Short's performance will be the difference between the RFC winning and losing the game. I am more concerned about guys like Rioli, Castagna & Bolton contributing more on the scoreboard than they have been doing. The RFC match committee keep selecting Short to play, as they have done since the start of the 2018 season (bar for the time he was injured of course). If he really were a "panic merchant" or not defensive enough as some posters have suggested, then surely the match committee just wouldn't tolerate that and they would have dropped him to the VFL by now. It appears that the match committee must think that the good stuff brought by Short outweighs any bad stuff. Also, maybe the match committee don't believe that there is currently an available player on our list who can satisfactorily play a similar role to Short and do a better job than Short.

Baker actually a better kick. Doesn’t appear as penetrating but gets distance and is accurate

Bakers a million miles better kick.

He's also a better handballer.

Better below his knees.

Better overhead.

Stronger over the ball.

Trust that gets the msg across ha!

There was a play in the last I think when Houli Short and Baker all got involved with diagional kicks to get a ball in the clear left of centre square.

In that play you can see what the selectors are hoping for.

The flick to skill is an obvious priority. Obviously if it affects defence too much you recalibrate.

There was a play in the last I think when Houli Short and Baker all got involved with diagional kicks to get a ball in the clear left of centre square.

In that play you can see what the selectors are hoping for.

The flick to skill is an obvious priority. Obviously if it affects defence too much you recalibrate.

I can dig that.

There is a very line between reflex and panic.

its about as fine as the line between grimacing and smiling at your mother-in-law

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Watch the replay - Short had a shocker. Diabolical in a final. Egg or Marlion would have to be in consideration. Stack would be a replacement if fit.

Of all players I want to see play well tonight it’s Jayden Short.
In personality terms he’s up there as one of my favourites.
Absolutely a ripping fella but personally I wouldn’t have picked him for this final as I think he’s been shaky in big games.
If Shorty plays well we win.

Reactions: 3 users
Absolutely a ripping fella but personally I wouldn’t have picked him for this final as I think he’s been shaky in big games.
Especially if he kicks the long bomb goals.

Well said
It’s in his hands - play well (and we know he’s more than capable of it) and he’s entitled to keep his spot.
Show weakness and kick poorly and he’s putting it all at risk.
Good luck to him tonight.

Well said TOO - agree.

Also if short is playing well means we have created some space on the outside and opened the game up.