Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

LOL answer a question with a question.. You completely dismissed those that said there were.
“Panic merchant” and “not up to AFL standard” are not pointing out weaknesses in his game. They are hyperbolic.
Like most young and developing players he can rush disposal under pressure but that doesn’t make him a panic merchant.
He has shown he can play at the level because he is and has for quite a few weeks.
Bloody hell, how about encouraging players who are showing something ?

Reactions: 6 users
Good to see you have acknowledged that he panics/rushed disposal with the ball at times. I also think he’s quite weak defensively. Like a number of our kids playing snr football at the moment due to our extended injury list, there’s a fair bit of work to be done to become an established player. I’m sure they are working hard on them.
Sam has some good traits but the jury is still out for me despite his disposal count.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to see you have acknowledged that he panics/rushed disposal with the ball at times. I also think he’s quite weak defensively. Like a number of our kids playing snr football at the moment due to our extended injury list, there’s a fair bit of work to be done to become an established player. I’m sure they are working hard on them.
Sam has some good traits but the jury is still out for me despite his disposal count.
Are you going to say what his good traits are or just point out his weaknesses?
Btw I didn’t say he panics because he doesn’t. I said he can rush kicks like most young and developing players do.

Prefer Hugo and Banks on the wings now then McIntosh and Pickett.

Hugo this season is equal to what McIntosh has put out his entire career.

And Banks is averaging 17.5 touches over the past 5 weeks. More than Pickett has averaged this year when playing.

Both boys deserve to own the wings this year and next. Once the young blokes output reaches 85% of the bloke over 30, you play the kid every time.

Reactions: 2 users
No I like Campbell & Ross. Not to mention KMac & Marlion.
Just not convinced on those players. Like Banks more than Hugo though.
I like Campbell but think you have to put him in the same category as Hugo and Banks at this stage.
Possibly higher ceiling on potential but definitely lower on output at this stage

Reactions: 1 users
Are you going to say what his good traits are or just point out his weaknesses?
Btw I didn’t say he panics because he doesn’t. I said he can rush kicks like most young and developing players do.
Semantics as opposed to hyperbole I guess.
:unsure:

FWIW I think Sam's good traits are he's a very hard worker on the track, has a good tank & is a good club person. Like Ralphsmith that will see him get opportunities.

I like Campbell but think you have to put him in the same category as Hugo and Banks at this stage.
Possibly higher ceiling on potential but definitely lower on output at this stage
Really? Only in yr 2 & played more games & kicked more goals this season than both those guys?

Higher ceiling & I already have him ahead of them.

Semantics as opposed to hyperbole I guess.
:unsure:

FWIW I think Sam's good traits are he's a very hard worker on the track, has a good tank & is a good club person. Like Ralphsmith that will see him get opportunities.
No not semantics. Rushing kicks at times is a very different thing to being a panic merchant.

Interestingly I think he still needs to build his tank.

Yep obvious shortcomings in his game that needs work. I also think he panics a bit when under pressure and he certainly doesnt embrace contact.

Time at the level and time on the weights will help.

Didn't you want him dropped? Now you say that time at the level will help him?

No not semantics. Rushing kicks at times is a very different thing to being a panic merchant.

Interestingly I think he still needs to build his tank.
Yeah whatever. Ran 14.5 km on the weekend. 2nd most of the team. He's got a good tank already but can always improve. He's got a lot to improve.

Really? Only in yr 2 & played more games & kicked more goals this season than both those guys?

Higher ceiling & I already have him ahead of them.
As I said, I’m comfortable that Campbell has a higher ceiling but I cant understand how you can judge him ahead of them because he’s kicked more goals playing as a small forward when both the other two play wing.
And playing more games wouldn’t be considered a fair barometer for comparing the players either.
They’ve all had their moments but Campbell has gone totally missing lately which has taken some polish away from an impressive start. Hugo has been relatively consistent and Banks has had a good month or so and looks to have taken a step forward.

As I said, I’m comfortable that Campbell has a higher ceiling but I cant understand how you can judge him ahead of them because he’s kicked more goals playing as a small forward when both the other two play wing.
And playing more games wouldn’t be considered a fair barometer for comparing the players either.
They’ve all had their moments but Campbell has gone totally missing lately which has taken some polish away from an impressive start. Hugo has been relatively consistent and Banks has had a good month or so and looks to have taken a step forward.
He's doing a heck of a lot more running than that of a small forward. Would be covering more kms than most of our team every week.
Agree to disagree.

Seth has had some great moments this year and he has also had some really quiet games but inconsistency is not unusual for someone so young in the game.

It’s hard to rate players against each other especially given Campbell is playing a high half forward role and not as a winger. I’ve liked what Ralphy has done at times this year and he is an improved player but my suspicion is that both Banks and Campbell have more upside.

Didn't you want him dropped? Now you say that time at the level will help him?
yeah i did but context please. i do believe i wanted us to go with a different structure. Time at the level means he will learn to cope and time on the weights will also help him to cope with contact. Its a long term look or do we have to be literal. His last four or five games had been underwhelming imo.
Just because i criticise does not mean i want him out the door. Just because i wanted him dropped does not mean i dont want him back. we can discuss long and short term goals here surely. Or do we have to spell everything out in big bold letters.

yeah i did but context please. i do believe i wanted us to go with a different structure. Time at the level means he will learn to cope and time on the weights will also help him to cope with contact. Its a long term look or do we have to be literal. His last four or five games had been underwhelming imo.
Just because i criticise does not mean i want him out the door. Just because i wanted him dropped does not mean i dont want him back. we can discuss long and short term goals here surely. Or do we have to spell everything out in big bold letters.

Last 4 or 5 games have been underwhelming? Really? He's been consistently getting better and showing that he can perform at the level.