Waldron does it again. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Waldron does it again.

Brodders17 said:
Just to throw a bit of dirt.
Cameron Vale is Norths chief financial officer. He held a similar position with the Storm during all this. He claims he knew nothing.
Perhaps someone wiser than I on these matters can shed some light on how a "chief financial officer" can not know where over $1 million dollars went. Maybe he isn't very good at his job?
I guess it would be a bit easier at the Roos. They wouldnt have a million lying around to pay under the table.

Cameron Vale is now seeking legal advice..........paint your own picture!

TigerForce said:
He's the chief and he should know as internal and external auditors report to him.

I would strongly advise posters to stop with the holier than thou attitudes on this thread.
We have no reason to be proud of the style practised by Casey (and probably unknown others) in doubtful payments to players.
Our club managed to lose control of multi-millions of dollars within a single year which is why we have been and are financially strapped.
Also overseen by a Cameron, who was (and still is) treasurer but was unaware apparently of the amounts we were losing or unable to stop it.
Remember that Waldron learnt his trade at Richmond.

If you start slinging mud on others you may well get covered yourself. STFU

RedanTiger said:
I would strongly advise posters to stop with the holier than thou attitudes on this thread.
We have no reason to be proud of the style practised by Casey (and probably unknown others) in doubtful payments to players.
Our club managed to lose control of multi-millions of dollars within a single year which is why we have been and are financially strapped.
Also overseen by a Cameron, who was (and still is) treasurer but was unaware apparently of the amounts we were losing or unable to stop it.
Remember that Waldron learnt his trade at Richmond.

If you start slinging mud on others you may well get covered yourself. STFU

Not sure what your point of quoting me is when Waldron has been claimed as the culprit in this case. Casey's copped his fair share of criticism over the last 5 years.

Tiger74 said:
may want to think of the thousands of fans who face a real risk of losing their club while you walk around with that smile on your face.

Not that great a day for them

I understand the anxiety for Storm supporters but I find that I am only moderately sympathetic towards their dilemma.

I am a person who is ambivalent towards Rugby League (Not For nor Against).

However, I am very conscious of the Storm being a Melbourne-based club in a Rugby League that is extremely NSW-centric.

Let's be clear, NSW has never embraced the Melbourne Storm as an equal stakeholder in Rugby League.
It appeared that NSW collectively took it as an insult to THEIR game that the Melbourne Storm had the impudence to win two NSWRL titles (2007 & 2009). It was Melbourne "stealing" two flags, well before any hint of corruption had come out.

You only had to look at Gallop's reaction to the Melbourne Storm a couple of years ago when the team, in the week leading to a Grand Final, was absolutely villified by him. Gallop and the rest of his administration always hated the Storm and always will, and will hate anything else that exists in its pseudo-NSWRL that comes from Melbourne.

Also note that other ARL Clubs have broken salary caps during premiership years and none have been stripped of a premiership.
Basically, NSW-centric Rugby League never felt the Storm was worthy of the premierships in the first place.

And I am ambivalent about Rugby League and gather these inferences from TV & newspaper snippets.
And I care nothing for the Storm.

For me, the Storm was an opportunity for Rugby League to put their hands on Victorian money.
It was for the money, not for promoting and embracing the game for/in Victoria.

They've thrown in a $1.6 million fine, as well as the stripping of the premierships.
And the Rugby League must be in near orgasm over the License fees it has got and will get from the Melbourne Rebels.
And what better way to guarantee a pot full of silver from the Rebels than by putting the Storm to the sword.

As I said, I'm not angry about this, because I don't care about the Storm nor the NSWRL.

And, I don't have much, if any, sympathy for the Storm nor, I suppose, its supporters.
They should have known what they were getting into.

as someone who nearly lost your own club once, your level of compassion and understanding is disappointing to be polite

as for a grab for Vic money, you need to get some learning done. Newscorp have been pumping a million plus into the storm per annum since day one, its a loss leader for them, so they are hardly here for a grab for Victorian money

Tiger74 said:
as someone who nearly lost your own club once, your level of compassion and understanding is disappointing to be polite

as for a grab for Vic money, you need to get some learning done. Newscorp have been pumping a million plus into the storm per annum since day one, its a loss leader for them, so they are hardly here for a grab for Victorian money

I'm not refering to Newscorp's grab for anything, only about anything Melbourne existing in a NSW-centric Rugby League.

Especially after witnessing these few years of the Storm.

Phantom said:
I understand the anxiety for Storm supporters but I find that I am only moderately sympathetic towards their dilemma.

I am a person who is ambivalent towards Rugby League (Not For nor Against).

However, I am very conscious of the Storm being a Melbourne-based club in a Rugby League that is extremely NSW-centric.

Let's be clear, NSW has never embraced the Melbourne Storm as an equal stakeholder in Rugby League.
It appeared that NSW collectively took it as an insult to THEIR game that the Melbourne Storm had the impudence to win two NSWRL titles (2007 & 2009). It was Melbourne "stealing" two flags, well before any hint of corruption had come out.

You only had to look at Gallop's reaction to the Melbourne Storm a couple of years ago when the team, in the week leading to a Grand Final, was absolutely villified by him. Gallop and the rest of his administration always hated the Storm and always will, and will hate anything else that exists in its pseudo-NSWRL that comes from Melbourne.

Also note that other ARL Clubs have broken salary caps during premiership years and none have been stripped of a premiership.
Basically, NSW-centric Rugby League never felt the Storm was worthy of the premierships in the first place.

And I am ambivalent about Rugby League and gather these inferences from TV & newspaper snippets.
And I care nothing for the Storm.

For me, the Storm was an opportunity for Rugby League to put their hands on Victorian money.
It was for the money, not for promoting and embracing the game for/in Victoria.

They've thrown in a $1.6 million fine, as well as the stripping of the premierships.
And the Rugby League must be in near orgasm over the License fees it has got and will get from the Melbourne Rebels.
And what better way to guarantee a pot full of silver from the Rebels than by putting the Storm to the sword.

As I said, I'm not angry about this, because I don't care about the Storm nor the NSWRL.

And, I don't have much, if any, sympathy for the Storm nor, I suppose, its supporters.
They should have known what they were getting into.
What a pile of dribble,all this garbage is based on your dislike for Waldron.Not much fact & mainly fiction sums up this rubbish.As T74 said your lack of compassion for supporters is quite disappointing & even surprising.

Tiger74 said:

waldron might be mates with graeme samuel. it would explain phantoms hate for him

mb64 said:
What a pile of dribble,all this garbage is based on your dislike for Waldron.Not much fact & mainly fiction sums up this rubbish.As T74 said your lack of compassion for supporters is quite disappointing & even surprising.

You keep your posts to a single sentence to minimise your dribble. I think Phantom's right. It's obvious the NRL is appeasing its heartland, otherwise the punishment would have been more in line with the crime - not 10 fold.

The best thing the Storm could do is fold, thumb their collective nose at the clowns north of the border, and never let rugby league see the light of day in Victoria again. They wont do this, as I am amazed those in charge of the club have been so accepting of the punishment. I smell a rat.

tiger12 said:
You keep your posts to a single sentence to minimise your dribble. I think Phantom's right. It's obvious the NRL is appeasing its heartland, otherwise the punishment would have been more in line with the crime - not 10 fold.

The best thing the Storm could do is fold, thumb their collective nose at the clowns north of the border, and never let rugby league see the light of day in Victoria again. They wont do this, as I am amazed those in charge of the club have been so accepting of the punishment. I smell a rat.

Absolutely.

While I don't like Rugby League I was pleased the storm was doing so well.

Yes, fold and never let league come to Melbourne again. Then watch how pitiful and 3rd rate the Rugby League once again becomes.

The days of Super League destroyed rugby league, a two bit comp rocked by this weeks events with penalties that are way over the top, it will continue to struggle because NSW people are not fanatical about sport like we are.

Phantom said:
mmmm, im not sure the melbourne rebels are paying licence fees to the NRL.

tiger12 said:

Phantom may be right about Gallop appeasing the rugby heartland, however, the rest of his post is mixture of fiction, opinion, and ridiculous over statements so I am not sure which part of his post you are agreeing with.

Great attitude too, just toss it in when it all gets too tough.

Leysy Days said:
Thats OK, No-one takes Phantom's words seriously anyway.
Agree.

For an Aussie Rules - dominated nation, it's going to be impossible for the NRL to be a true 'national' comp considering they failed with Perth and now possibly Melbourne.

Who the hell organised sport here 150 years ago ??

Were we the Northern Ireland and Ireland of the Great Southern Land back then someway?? ;D

Phantom said:
I'm not refering to Newscorp's grab for anything, only about anything Melbourne existing in a NSW-centric Rugby League.

Especially after witnessing these few years of the Storm.

lets go back to your original post, because it seems you are trying to forget certain details.

you said the storm was a push for league to put their hand on Victorian money - your words, not mine. As I pointed out, the Storm has not run a profit, so I'm not sure what Victorian money they have been grabbing a hold of.

secondly you talk of license fees. The Storm is owned by News Limited. News owned and ran Super League, which the Storm was a part of. The NRL is a jv between the ARL and News. So News is paid a license fee....to itself.

also a big gripe from NSW has been the NRL is effectively subsidizing the storm. News get about $8m a year from the NRL, and $1-2m of this is usually then going back to the Storm. Hardly a situation where NSWRL is taking money out of Melbourne to prop up their league

This will become even greater now. With $1.6m in fines, and $2m+ in sponsorship gone, News will not only have to tip more cash in, they will probably have to delay their sale of the team for several years now. Hardly the sign of an entity designed to exploit the Victoria

and as others have already pointed out, the ARL and ARU are two completely different organizations, with the NRL and Super 15's two completely different competitions. The NRL will actually suffer with the entry of the Rebels because many ex-pat kiwis and south africans prefer union to league, but have followed the storm because its the only game in town.

As for your new point, one of my favourite sport moments was telling a bus full of swans supporters when they were ripping into me for being in my tigers gear (after a big loss) "all I have to say to you is GO STORM". They hated even the mention of the team, and you could see it in their eyes. I loved the fact that we are playing "their" game and doing well at it.

Some will say we only prospered by cheating, but they only took 2 of our cups - we still have the first, and that was earnt the hard way. I do believe allowing no points for 2010 may potentially kill the club, but they cheated, and they have to cop their whack. Whats done is done, and now its about rebuilding the club for the post News years.

I will be going Sunday, to be one more bum on a seat, in a show of support for the storm. NRL will never be my favourite sport, and it will never be no.1 in this state, but it doesn't mean the storm is irrelevant for this town.

Brodders17 said:
Just to throw a bit of dirt.
Cameron Vale is Norths chief financial officer. He held a similar position with the Storm during all this. He claims he knew nothing.
Perhaps someone wiser than I on these matters can shed some light on how a "chief financial officer" can not know where over $1 million dollars went. Maybe he isn't very good at his job?
I guess it would be a bit easier at the Roos. They wouldnt have a million lying around to pay under the table.
One of the papers said that it was understood that the whistle blower was a former Storm executive that now works at an AFL club
Not hard to figure out who that is

jb03 said:
You know there might actually be some mileage in that philosophy. I'd have cheered the Eagles to 3 flags by now after the Tigers folded up in 87.

jb03 said:

As much as I don't like the direction the AFL has taken of late, and is taking with GC17 & GWS; the 1 thing you can rest assured is the AFL is not stupid. The same cannot be said of the NRL. Can you imagine the AFL, after all the investment and ground work involved in setting up Brisbane and Sydney in non-Australian rules states, stripping Brisbane of its 3 premierships or Sydney of its long awaited one? For what? A salary cap breach of less than 10% pa. The AFL was smart enough to factor that into Brisbane's cap (rightly or wrongly). It gave Sydney a lifeline we would all love in the early '90s when the club was an albatross around the games neck. Just look at how the AFL has prospered as evidenced by the massive amounts bid for broadcast rights alone. 20 odd years ago, clubs like ours had their backsides hanging out of their pants, now the AFL can carry its basket cases as it is flush with funds. I'm not against punishment where warranted, but FFS, make it akin to the crime.

If you're under any illusion as to what the NRL heartleand thinks of the Storm, just listen to sport927's interview with Rugby League "legend" Tommy Redonicus (or something like that - sorry I couldn't find the link) with the Melbourne crew yesterday (23/4) morning. Brain dead morons like him should be grateful a state like Victoria has embraced their game and taken it to another level. Instead they're popping the champagne corks.

When I say the Storm should fold, I say it because you will see these morons north of the border kissing our collective backsides to embrace their game again. As much as I don't like the GWS venture, I now hope it succeeds beyond expectation. If it wasn't for their Harbour Bridge, birds would fly upside down over the place.

tiger12 said:
As much as I don't like the direction the AFL has taken of late, and is taking with GC17 & GWS; the 1 thing you can rest assured is the AFL is not stupid
Cut snakes aren't stupid either? ???