Waldron does it again. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Waldron does it again.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
I woke to this morning's headlines to a good laugh.

Waldron has soiled not only the complete history of the Melbourne Storm but also probably the reputation of Melbourne as a city in Rugby League circles.

Many of you may remember Waldron's shennanigans at Tigerland during the 90s that saw us needing to go up to the AFL on charges of breaking the salary cap.

My personal dealings with Waldron, at the time, found him to be a man who thought everyone else was absurd and that only he had the answers. I later found out that I was not the only one to share this view.

I cringed throughout Waldron's tenure at the Melbourne Storm, regardless of their wins.

Now it has all been taken away.
Waldron has been shown up for the cur that he is.
I'll walk through today with a little smile on my face.

I shall look forward to the police's further investigations into Mr Waldron.

Phantom said:

may want to think of the thousands of fans who face a real risk of losing their club while you walk around with that smile on your face.

Not that great a day for them

Tiger74 said:
may want to think of the thousands of fans who face a real risk of losing their club while you walk around with that smile on your face.

Not that great a day for them
Good pointt74,there are alot of innocent victims in the Storm situation.Not alot to smile about in my mind.

Phantom said:

Waldron has soiled not only the complete history of the Melbourne Storm but also probably the reputation of Melbourne as a city in Rugby League circles.

Many of you may remember Waldron's shennanigans at Tigerland during the 90s that saw us needing to go up to the AFL on charges of breaking the salary cap.

Ah OK the question was being asked whether that happened during Waldron's tenure. So it seems he is a serial offender, I wonder what happened at the Saints as well.

i think i heard the afl will be looking at the saints books..though they didnt win any premerships,so they cant have any taken away.....

i dont follow rugby but find the penalties way to harsh..as the real people who suffer will be the players, who didnt know about the cheating, and mainly all the supporters..i know many of the kids at my sons school absolutley love the storm.the nrl should of thought of these people before such heavy penalties were handed out...they have destroyed any chance of the nrl becoming a national game...

GO TIGERS....

arlobill said:
i think i heard the afl will be looking at the saints books..though they didnt win any premerships,so they cant have any taken away.....

Anything taken away, no, but they can be fined if they have breached the rules. Having points stripped & even playing for nothing can also cause mass suicides amongst their supporters.

I just feel sorry for those poor people who follow the Tigers and the Storm passionately, haven't they suffered enough?

I agree with Phantom about Waldron, the smug bastard.

I feel for the Melbourne Storm's passionate fans, but being a partial observer of the sport and a part time supporter of the club I am flat today. What implications this will have for the sport, but also the reputation of Melbourne as a sporting city remains to be seen.

I have admired the Storm from a far as being ultra professional, I have witnessed their training sessions and find them absolutely the leaders. It's a shame the actions of few will tarnish all that.

I personally think, Richmond should try and swipe a few of their sports science and fitness guys now. They are the absolute leaders and I think being selfish for a minute, we can benefit greatly from this if we act quickly.

Tigerbob said:
I personally think, Richmond should try and swipe a few of their sports science and fitness guys now. They are the absolute leaders and I think being selfish for a minute, we can benefit greatly from this if we act quickly.

The storm employ one of Australia’s top BJJ (the grappling that gets used in the UFC) coaches. If we started training the boys that at least they would win the wrestling matches.

If the Saints won the flag last year I reckon their supporters would be crapping their pants about now.

Waldron is a dog, a dirty dirty dog ( Not just on the financial side of things ;) ). Hope he pays for what he has done.

Phantom said:

Not sure smiling in the face of misery, however deserved, is any better.

I just think it's sad all round - dislike NRL, but have enjoyed watching the odd game, and like The Bobster, have admired most of the players thay have put on the park, how they have responded at times with pride and humility.

Yes, if fitness personnel are available, get them. They know how to get the best out of the best.

Phantom said:

You may well be right about Waldron, Phanto. From afar he does come across as an agrogant prick. In saying that, by gee the NRL have used a sledgehammer to crush a nut! Cheating is cheating and should not be condoned. But the punishment must fit the crime. If the breach was some $1.7M over a 4 or 5 year period, then we're talking under 10% over the cap each year. I don't believe stripping the club of premierships is a fitting punishment. If it were $1.7M over the $4.1M cap each year, then yes.

What the NRL have done by appeasing the masses in Sydney, is give the AFL a free kick in the gaol square after the siren in a GF. People like me, who do not follow the code but have a minor passing interest in the Storm, now have ABSOLUTELY no desire to follow that code at all. I feel very sorry for the loyal Storm supporters, but I think the NRL will live to very much regret this decision. And, btw, I can't believe the Storm heirarchy just rolled-over and accepted this decision without a fight. Something more in that I think.

Phantom said:

My personal dealings with Waldron, at the time, found him to be a man who thought everyone else was absurd and that only he had the answers. I later found out that I was not the only one to share this view.

I cringed throughout Waldron's tenure at the Melbourne Storm, regardless of their wins.

I shall look forward to the police's further investigations into Mr Waldron.

You said it all Phanto. This a-hole thinks he can get away with anything. I heard Michael Nettlefold on SEN and 774 this morning copping sh!t from the shock jocks but reckons the Saints are clean financially and will wait for Ken Wood to verify the books.

I'm sure the Rebels are breathing a sigh of relief with this moron resigning quickly this morning.

Geez, I hope they don't make us pay back all our prize money from the years where Waldron ran the joint! ;)

Forget Waldron and the fans. Think of the players who went out and got Premiership tattoos !

I guess the AFL will be taking a bit of a look at Richmond and St Kilda's player payments now.

If this does happen I shudder to think what they might find, particularly during the Casey years.

hopper said:
Geez, I hope they don't make us pay back all our prize money from the years where Waldron ran the joint! ;)

They might take our ninths off us!

Tigerbob said:
I have admired the Storm from a far as being ultra professional, I have witnessed their training sessions and find them absolutely the leaders. It's a shame the actions of few will tarnish all that.

Don't agree with you there Bob, had a collegue work there for a few years in the S&C department, he is now at an AFL club, the AFL are streets ahead with their embracing of the latest training and rehab techniques. The Storm were very old school in their training techniques. Running the tan as a test of fitness for rugby league players, WTF???