Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Spot on. You'd think after the Lynch FARC last year, they would have spared no expense in the off-season scouring the globe for better goal line technology. They did *smile* all and low and behold, another *smile* up.
Unfortunately all the technology in the world ain't worth a pinch of *smile* if you don't bother to turn it on n look at it. AFLHQ just trying to help greenify the world by not turning on their lectrickity thingy.

Reactions: 2 users
The goal not awarded to the Crows is perhaps the worst decision with the worst impact on a side trying to play finals I’ve ever seen.

Why does the AFL continue to endorse such towering incompetence or is there another agenda at play here
Astounding.

When they corruptly robbed us, they cited lynchy not celebrating.

ben keyes all but dropped his shorts and swung his *smile* around.

What happens now? Two years running a dodgy goal review, or lack thereof, ends a sides season.

The photo finish on a racecourse takes a photo of every finish; you dont get a close finish in a Cox Plate and the VRC stewards awarding a winner without review or public display of the image.

What do the AFL do? tick it off, of course

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
As I’ve recently written on this subject the standard of umpiring in the AFL is abysmal. The bias shown to some sides has become increasingly obvious while a failure to properly stamp out such things as throwing the ball rugby style, has become a blight on the game.

The goal not awarded to the Crows is perhaps the worst decision with the worst impact on a side trying to play finals I’ve ever seen.

Why does the AFL continue to endorse such towering incompetence or is there another agenda at play here?
Because they CAN’T acknowledge that they make mistakes. The ARC has been a towering joke since day 1. The continued defence of poor decisions. The clampdown on broadcasters criticising said errors. The constant tinkering with the rules. Doing their best to ruin the great game while earning decent coin in the process. Infuriating.

Reactions: 7 users
Astounding.

When they corruptly robbed us, they cited lynchy not celebrating.

ben keyes all but dropped his shorts and swung his *smile* around.

What happens now? Two years running a dodgy goal review, or lack thereof, ends a sides season.

The photo finish on a racecourse takes a photo of every finish; you dont get a close finish in a Cox Plate and the VRC stewards awarding a winner without review or public display of the image.

What do the AFL do? tick it off, of course
The AFL couldn’t have ticked that off surely. At best it was gross incompetence on the goal umpires behalf at worst…….. well the AFL has a huge problem on their hands.

For the AFL to tick it off they are sanctioning whichever behaviour it was. Unacceptable

Reactions: 1 users
The AFL couldn’t have ticked that off surely. At best it was gross incompetence on the goal umpires behalf at worst…….. well the AFL has a huge problem on their hands.

For the AFL to tick it off they are sanctioning whichever behaviour it was. Unacceptable

Stood down the ump, said it was a mistake,

And ticked it off.

Crows and every punter who backed them should sue the ump for lost earnings in a class action (opportunity cost me a weeks pay). Surely The AFL cover the umps liability?

and see what happens then.

The AFL have done something very rare and admitted fault.

Until the AFL are subject to law that isnt unto themselves,

Theylle just keep ticking stuff off.

Corruption, racism, concussion related death?

Tick it off

They cant be in bed with the bookies and provide mistaken results.

Imagine the VRC awarding a Melbourne cup to the second horse by a short half-head, without looking at the photo finish?

the AFL introduced 'extreme super slow motion' ARC in 2019 and its dodgy implementation has erroneously ended a sides season 40% of the time since.

Thats a pretty big error margin

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I always groan when the goal umps call for a review when it seems very obvious, but it's certainly better than this situation.

Just call for a review FFS if the ball is close to the post or touched close to the line, particularly in a close game. It takes the accountability off the goal ump and onto those fine folk in the FARC.

So the ump made 2 poor decisions, calling it hit the post when it wasn't, and not asking for a review.

He signaled a point extremely confidently with zero hesitation....hmmm. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but let's see if he's driving around in a new Merc on Monday.

BTW, shaking a post is a reportable offence, how about slapping the padding?

Reactions: 1 user
It is incomprehensible that this crap hasn’t been fixed. In the off season, coaches like Hardwick, Clarkson, Malthouse and Parkin and co would travel o/seas, see if they could be allowed to call into other competition’s clubs like NFL or EPL clubs and try and see what they do, in an effort to learn and get better. We have a system that might as well have been designed by a kindergarten kid. Blurred low res t.v vision, that often can’t show if the ball was touched, a snicks that I for one don’t trust and padding that goes way up the post that is included as part of the post. Going that high only suits players like Dane Rampe when he wants to climb the goal post. I heard the other day that in soccer, ( a sport that will never be my favourite) they have 24 sensors in the ball that can conclusively show data at any point of contact. We have a competition that generated $944m in total revenue in 2022 and they won’t spend some dough on this??? What the eff are they waiting for??? For someone like McGuire to get the Australian licensing rights to the tech so he can o sell/lease to the AFL? My god..

Reactions: 4 users
"It was a human error that happens repeatedly through games and across the season." - Gil, not making the point he thinks he's making.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I've seen games where a goal has been kicked, no score review, and all the players run back to position for a centre bounce and all of a sudden someone upstairs has reviewed the goal and it's been deemed a point, so everyone has to quickly get in position for a kick in.

So obviously the goal umpire doesn't have to ask for a score review for the ARC to review a decision.

The teflon AFL hanging the goal umpire out to dry.

Reactions: 8 users
"It was a human error that happens repeatedly through games and across the season." - Gil, not making the point he thinks he's making.

So do they automatically review scores,

Or not?

If you asked AI to rationalise and aquitt The multi-dimentional layering of reactionary AFL incompetance over incompetance

The computer would groan and billow thick, siliceous, white smoke.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Stood down the ump, said it was a mistake,

And ticked it off.

Crows and every punter who backed them should sue the ump for lost earnings in a class action (opportunity cost me a weeks pay). Surely The AFL cover the umps liability?

and see what happens then.

The AFL have done something very rare and admitted fault.

Until the AFL are subject to law that isnt unto themselves,

Theylle just keep ticking stuff off.

Corruption, racism, concussion related death?

Tick it off

They cant be in bed with the bookies and provide mistaken results.

Imagine the VRC awarding a Melbourne cup to the second horse by a short half-head, without looking at the photo finish?

the AFL introduced 'extreme super slow motion' ARC in 2019 and its dodgy implementation has erroneously ended a sides season 40% of the time since.

Thats a pretty big error margin
A 60% correct outcome is acceptable. Just ask Big Boy.

McLachlan’s apology is like watching a dog eat it’s own faeces. Bloke has no touch, no clue, couldn’t read a room if he had a Dummies Guide.

Reactions: 2 users
Our Byron boys played the second semi against Port Macquarie down in Coffs yesterday. Port hit the front early in the last quarter with a 'goal' that our blokes swear missed by a metre. (We then kicked 5.4 to 1.0 to win b y 27 with no fit men on the bench.)

If you think AFL umpiring is bad, come to an AFL North Coast game. Fat, biased 58-year-olds and the odd clueless 12-year-old.

• Haha
I've seen games where a goal has been kicked, no score review, and all the players run back to position for a centre bounce and all of a sudden someone upstairs has reviewed the goal and it's been deemed a point, so everyone has to quickly get in position for a kick in.

So obviously the goal umpire doesn't have to ask for a score review for the ARC to review a decision.

The teflon AFL hanging the goal umpire out to dry.

Ben keyes and two other crows were crowd surfing, thinking theyde cut to a sportsbet ad

When Swans kicked in from the error 'behind', in a 1pt game, 1 minute to go with the winner to play finals and the loser to go on their footy trip.

And the central umpire didnt have the awareness and composure,

To see the utter state of confusion,

And call time-off to allow Crows to reset, and have tbe opportunity to render the comprehensive arse *smile* they had just been subjected to,

Academic

Pretty much every possible check or balance

Wasnt checked or balanced in this Adelaide Fiasco.

It was elite, unmitigated, clusterfuckery

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
If you think AFL umpiring is bad, come to an AFL North Coast game. Fat, biased 58-year-olds and the odd clueless 12-year-old.

I disagree; incompetance is largely inconsistent in amateaur comps

I disagree; incompetance is largely inconsistent in amateaur comps
In our comp they're all biased and/or useless. Of the three umpires we had in the men's game last week, one was the opposition's women's coach and another was their women's captain. Between them they paid half a dozen 50s against us.

• Haha
In our comp they're all biased and/or useless. Of the three umpires we had in the men's game last week, one was the opposition's women's coach and another was their women's captain. Between them they paid half a dozen 50s against us.

I wish Richmond could get treated that well

• Haha
the Crows non-goal debacle speaks volumes about Umpires, the AFL and it's (f)ARC ...

when the machine breaks down? tick it off...

I don't like the Adelaide football club, but what must they be thinking...?

gil said.

"It is a human error and a decision by the goal umpire that meant we have this situation today. Every decision is broadly reviewed. The kick-in was so quick, it was within 10 seconds and the moment was lost and gone. The system, I don't feel is at fault.

So, its at least septuple human error.

1. Goal umpire erroneously calls it a behind
2. Goal umpire doesnt call for a score reveiw
3. Nearest central umpire doesnt override goal umpire and call for a score review
4. Central umpire 1 doesnt guage the confusion (3 crows celebrating wildly outside the field of play while swans kick ball into field of play and take the ball to other end of ground with 3 extra men in the field of play) and call time off and allow 30 second auto-reveiw
5. Ditto central umpire 2
6. Ditto central umpire 3
7. Ditto central umpire 4.

*smile* hell - Gil can even manage to heavily mortage his ownership over a mistake

Extraordinary

So they’ve admitted it was a goal. No other score occurred after that. Why aren’t the AFL overturning the result? They have done so in the past. The crows would be justified taking this to court. This could have cost them a finals berth.

gil said.

"It is a human error and a decision by the goal umpire that meant we have this situation today. Every decision is broadly reviewed. The kick-in was so quick, it was within 10 seconds and the moment was lost and gone. The system, I don't feel is at fault.

So, its at least septuple human error.

1. Goal umpire erroneously calls it a behind
2. Goal umpire doesnt call for a score reveiw
3. Nearest central umpire doesnt override goal umpire and call for a score review
4. Central umpire 1 doesnt guage the confusion (3 crows celebrating wildly outside the field of play while swans kick ball into field of play and take the ball to other end of ground with 3 extra men in the field of play) and call time off and allow 30 second auto-reveiw
5. Ditto central umpire 2
6. Ditto central umpire 3
7. Ditto central umpire 4.

*smile* hell - Gil can even manage to heavily mortage his ownership over a mistake

Extraordinary
I thought the afl stated every goal/touched gets reviewed