Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I don't think the umps were the difference between us winning and losing tonight but I don't think I've seen a play where a player, Baker, should have received a free kick 3 times within a second and then get pinged for holding the ball.
If you frequent Reddit and the AFL sub he ducked his head three times!

I implore people to not waste their time there. It's about as anti tiger as the umpires were a fortnight ago.

Reactions: 1 user
As much as adding more rules is not what we want, especially subjective rules, I think it's time to introduce the "Adding Mayo". Too many players are adding mayo to everything in the hope of drawing a free kick or a 50m penalty.

• Angry
You are free to punch our player now.

Should have been reversed there!
Yeah.
If McIntosh did that, the decision would have been reversed and the commentators would go on and on about how ill disciplined and arrogant the Tigers are ...... then the tribunal would make an example of McIntosh to stamp out this sudden overblown blight on the game.......

FFS the play had stopped, the umpire was watching the two players jostle and was close enough to dance old school with them.

Why nothing to see here?

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
Disappointingly we were so rubbish there it was impossible to even get a little bit riled up by the umps.

I don't think the umps were the difference between us winning and losing tonight but I don't think I've seen a play where a player, Baker, should have received a free kick 3 times within a second and then get pinged for holding the ball.
Umpires just felt that if Bakes was 6 inches taller, it was a fair tackle. Its his fault for being a short-arse.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha deliberate out of bounds free paid to the Handbaggers for a deliberate spoil out of bounds. My god they get looked after.

Geelong just don't give away free kicks, minutes to go in the game on the wing, man on the mark encroached from behind, never moved 5 Mt away or stopped. No mention of anything by the umps or comms. Geelong all night a rule to their own.
A draw was nice though.

Geelong just don't give away free kicks, minutes to go in the game on the wing, man on the mark encroached from behind, never moved 5 Mt away or stopped. No mention of anything by the umps or comms. Geelong all night a rule to their own.
A draw was nice though.
I did laugh hearing pricky complain about the diverfields play on calls by the umpires. Not complaining about the umpires themselves he stressed but the interpretations. I’d say he’s a sore loser, but since they didn’t lose, I’ll say he’s just a *smile* :)

• Haha
I did laugh hearing pricky complain about the diverfields play on calls by the umpires. Not complaining about the umpires themselves he stressed but the interpretations. I’d say he’s a sore loser, but since they didn’t lose, I’ll say he’s just a *smile* :)

Salty's post-game pressers:

After a win: Statesman-like, measured.
After a loss/draw: Makes excuses, whinges, never gives credit to the victor and hardly even addresses them. In a word, a b!tch

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I thought the protected area 50 was dead and buried for reasons known only to the AFL, made an inexplicable comeback last night.

I thought the protected area 50 was dead and buried for reasons known only to the AFL, made an inexplicable comeback last night.

Its ok, andrew dillon is going to reform the game,

Starting with mates draft night, where he hopes to contrive some personality

Into the modern private school football drone

No doubt it will be sponsored by sportsbet with mates

Yay

I didn't watch the whole game last night but one thing I did notice was that the Essendon players were continually standing a metre or two over the mark when Port took a mark in the forward line and then waited for the umpire to bring them back. Sometimes the umpires didn't

I assume it is deliberate

Last edited:
I didn't watch the whole game last night but one thing I did notice was that the Essendon players were continually standing a metre or two over the mark when Port took a mark in the forward line and then waited for the umpire to bring them back. Sometimes theumpires didn't

I assume it is deliberate

Brad scott knows precisely how the umps will respond.

Cause Theyre created in his image :vomit

Aint footy evolution* great

* NEW! Sportsbet Evolution! Bet live on the next rule mutation! Introductory offer - if the umpires dont randomly mutate and dig up a forgotten rule from the past, your money back in bonus bets*

*max $0.25, go broke and get divorced and estranged from your kids responsibly

Reactions: 1 users
Don't forget the Cats got 17 frees to 9.
Bit rich for Salty to complain about the non play on to Clangerfield

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Don't forget the Cats got 17 frees to 9.
Bit rich for Salty to complain about the non play on to Clangerfield

Did he do the old

'Far be it for me to criticise the umpires, thats not in my job description. Ill never criticise them, we own our losses and dont seek to blame external influences. The umpires were terrible and cost us the game. I'll leave it up to others, smarter people than me, to judge the umpiring. We just focus on what we can control'

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Another mind boggling farce is that the umps seems to be giving players longer and longer to get rid of the ball when tackled. I understand the need to get rid of sling tackles, but surely part of that strategy would include not giving players a long time, longer than I've ever seen, to get rid of it and actually invite the sling tackle? Or are the AFL just cynically using the sling tackle crackdown as a way to minimise stoppages and get more Dusty moments?

Either way, they stink.

Reactions: 6 users
Another mind boggling farce is that the umps seems to be giving players longer and longer to get rid of the ball when tackled. I understand the need to get rid of sling tackles, but surely part of that strategy would include not giving players a long time, longer than I've ever seen, to get rid of it and actually invite the sling tackle? Or are the AFL just cynically using the sling tackle crackdown as a way to minimise stoppages and get more Dusty moments?

Either way, they stink.
What has also happened is that a player very rarely gets penalised now when the ball is knocked out in the tackle and what we see is that interpretation seems to be superceding prior opportunity.
It’s annoying because the player has still been tackled even if the ball has been knocked out of their hands, so if they had prior opportunity it should be a free.

Either way, they stink.

If they had a history of calculated proactivity,

Youde think the AFL had sat their best minds around a big boardroom table

And workshopped facilitating a rugby union style rolling maul,

The kind David Pocock thrived in, where he kept driving his huge thighs, with 3 blokes hanging off him, for 15 metres, then hed either off load it, or assume a protective fortress over the grounded ball

But its just happened quite in spite of them; a reactive state of organic incompetance.

They will layer a new *smile* rule over the top, and make a weirder, more complex, uncontrolled abomination.

Itll be something like a 10 step in a tackle rule, and the umps will adjudicate it from 2 steps to 22 steps