Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

What I saw at the ground today in the last qrtr was an out and out farce - at best extreme incompetence; at worst its bordering on cheating.

I had a feeling that with the game in the balance these idiots would influence the outcome of the game......and right on cue, they did.

This sh!t is turning me (and plenty of others) away from the game.

If the AFL spent as much time and energy sorting this week in/week out rubbish out as they do championing the latest woketard /Govt *smile* they'd get a lot more people at games.

Right now from a business point of view - it's nothing but gross incompetence and there HAS to be consequences because of it.
It's not fun to watch at all. Not a good week across the games for the umps. For us I'm not sure it's ump incompetence as we'd see some come our way (Cats game 2 weeks ago was the only in recent memory for me where I walked away saying thanks umps). It must be a subconcious bias or cheating. The one that made me lose it was in the 3rd on the wing. Ralphsmith being held as he was sprinting for the loose ball. The ump was right there running alongside. There was no way he could miss it. Play on and Port cleared it with a boot fwd. We had players free up the ground.

Reactions: 4 users
Snags I saw that one too - the thing that s***s me week in and week out are the standout obvious ones that arent paid to us'the 50,000+ patrons can see but the idiot with the whistle can't, yet get handed out to the oppo every time.

In the last qrtr today was a farce....5 free kicks in front of goal and I 'truly felt only Baltas over the shoulder one was warranted.

The question is this : WHY do WE get screwed almost EVERY week by the *smile*$ for over FIVE YEARS ? At what point does the club have a private word to these idiots at the AFL about what has been happening ?

BC I can tell you right now - if it was Geelong that had been raped that way for 5 years, they sure as hell would have been in the AFL's ear from the get go about it.

FWIW I don't really care about the umps much and I dont give a rats if we get beaten on the day by a better side, but FFS when they're being paid for no reason, there are only 2 potential answers. Either we are pathetic and give em away cheaply....... OR we're simply getting the shaft.

Its turning people away from the game.

Reactions: 5 users
Fisher destroyed us against GC 4 weeks ago and nothing changed today.
Why is an X Stkilda player umpiring?
As bad as a footballer is he worse with a whistle.
Ad soon as I saw his name on the in the list of umpires I knew we were screwed.

lost count how many times yesterday we had a player held, pushed, tackled high and called play on. then 5 second later, the exact same thing happens the other way and it gets paid.

I was at the game yesterday and didn't particularly care about the result. We may or may not have won the game. but i can tell you 100% the umpiring destroyed any chance we had.

Reactions: 11 users
Are out on the fulls counted as a free kick?
In the stats that is.
I ask (I assume they are but wanted confirmation from someone more knowledgeable than me) because we got at least 3 out on the fulls from Port so if you take those off our free kick total we are down to about 11 measly free kicks for the entire game and a lot of those in the backline.

So many variables and patches on HTB its become a total farce. A raffle. Whistle blow, fans, and often players, think which way will this go and pause to see which way they have to run.
Blocking has become like ruck frees, a raffle. Some barely there ones paid, some blatant ones missed.
Throws pretty much allowed if in traffic and fast play, and especially if player is in a diving motion.
Tunnelling, throwing, sliding-in taking the legs, stand, protected area all fluctuate wildly in terms of attention and stance, or if they are enforced at all, and it of course its inconsistent between and within games.

Reactions: 5 users
There was one incident that stood out for me that is convincing me that they aren’t incompetent but cheats. In the last quarter, ralphsmith was chasing the ball in front of him, his opponent behind. I’m in the top deck of the Olympic stand and I could quite clearly see him get held by the jumper with the ball metres in front of him. The umpire was literally a couple of metres away, was clearly looking at the players, then looked to the ball. It went out of bounds, he signaled a throw in. There is no way he was blindsided and had a ringside seat to that incident. I was furious considering how blatant it was

Reactions: 6 users
So many variables and patches on HTB its become a total farce. A raffle. Whistle blow, fans, and often players, think which way will this go and pause to see which way they have to run.
Blocking has become like ruck frees, a raffle. Some barely there ones paid, some blatant ones missed.
Throws pretty much allowed if in traffic and fast play, and especially if player is in a diving motion.
Tunnelling, throwing, sliding-in taking the legs, stand, protected area all fluctuate wildly in terms of attention and stance, or if they are enforced at all, and it of course its inconsistent between and within games.
You forgot dissent.

Twice yesterday Port players threw their arms up at the umpire to remonstrate a decision. No 50.

Reactions: 2 users
You forgot dissent.

Twice yesterday Port players threw their arms up at the umpire to remonstrate a decision. No 50.
Dissent has been forgotten about- makes the free against Carlton(?) that cost the game even more ridiculous (glorious!). the interpretation of the "stand" rule has changed hugely over the course of the season- players often put their hands up on the mark then slowly walk out backwards. and falling/lying on someones back is not longer a free (except when it is).

and the umps were terrible yesterday- how bad was the free to the AA half back who picked the ball up then dove at our defender?

Reactions: 1 users
Dissent has been forgotten about- makes the free against Carlton(?) that cost the game even more ridiculous (glorious!). the interpretation of the "stand" rule has changed hugely over the course of the season- players often put their hands up on the mark then slowly walk out backwards. and falling/lying on someones back is not longer a free (except when it is).

and the umps were terrible yesterday- how bad was the free to the AA half back who picked the ball up then dove at our defender?

The annoying thing was, they did that at least twice, dived into our players legs. The head high contact was instigated by the Port players yet they were paid frees. Then Dusty genuinely drops the ball, reaches down to pick it up and is collected high from front on, and the maggots call play on!!

• Angry
How many frees did Fisher actually award us yesterday if any?

Not just Fisher, number 42 too. In the 2nd quarter (we were kicking to the City end) ball was looping towards the behind post in our D50 straight into our defenders hands (can't remember who it was), Port player not looking at the ball collides with him front on and the mark is dropped. Number 42 was about 15m away, direct vision unobstructed and refused to pay the free, so the guy 50m away outside of our D50 pays the free. It was probably 1 of the more blatant frees you will see and he was going to refuse to pay it.

Incompetent or cheating?

Reactions: 2 users
The free kick against Miller was so soft, nothing to see when a Port player did something the same.

About 10 secs after DRioli kicked a point, J Rioli ran into him from behind and knocked him down- causing DRioli to go off for a while. Thats a free every time. Except when it isnt.

Reactions: 6 users
T
Leigh Fisher put in one of the worst umpiring displays known to man
There was a patch about a minute long in the last quarter I think , paid 2 or 3 decisions that all appeared the wrong “ interpretation “ also one that was ” play on” . I have zero against the maggots ;) but geeez Im disliking the game more and more .

what is the viewing platforms saying now? Is the game growing ?

even the biased commentators said he played for it

About 10 secs after DRioli kicked a point, J Rioli ran into him from behind and knocked him down- causing DRioli to go off for a while. Thats a free every time. Except when it isnt.

Yeah I remember that one. On Friday night, the same thing happened to a Carlton player and they were offered another shot at goal or to keep the point (obviously chose the shot at goal). Consistency........................

What I saw at the ground today in the last qrtr was an out and out farce - at best extreme incompetence; at worst its bordering on cheating.

I had a feeling that with the game in the balance these idiots would influence the outcome of the game......and right on cue, they did.

This sh!t is turning me (and plenty of others) away from the game.

If the AFL spent as much time and energy sorting this week in/week out rubbish out as they do championing the latest woketard /Govt *smile* they'd get a lot more people at games.

Right now from a business point of view - it's nothing but gross incompetence and there HAS to be consequences because of it.
Its turning into WWE entertainment not sport

Reactions: 1 users