Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Adelaide were the better side - no problem with that. But statistically it is almost become an aberration. By all accounts we are very low on the ladder for some years when it comes to frees for and against. Any team can lose the free kick count and the umpires, on the day, may have been outstanding and got every call 100%. But geez…..

Round 1 - Carlton 28 free kicks to Richmond 20. Carlton touched us up in the last quarter and fully deserved their win. 40% more frees to the Blues.
Round 2 - GWS 26 free kicks to Richmond 18. We were in control all game and had a solid win. 44% more frees to GWS.
Round 3 - St Kilda 27 free kicks to Richmond 19. A repeat flogging in the last quarters to the Carlton game and Saints playing well. 42% more frees to the Saints.
Round 4 - Footscray 25 free kicks to Richmond 15. A game we won well. 66% more free kicks to Footscray.
Today - Adelaide 33 free kicks to Richmond 13 free kicks. Adelaide too good over 4 quarters. Adelaide 153% more free kicks than us.

In the last 2 weeks we have received 28 frees and been penalised 58 times. I don’t believe we are a dirty side for one minute.

Just taking those numbers into account does not necessarily they are unfair. But to my eye, it’s the bloody frees NOT paid in similar circumstances to both sides that is doing my head in! And I certainly respect it can be a difficult game to umpire.
Good report jimbob. We can't win. The well known rumour/hint around the league in that Benny won't be accepted for Gil's job definitely shows there is/has been a cold war between us and them. Surely SHocking is part of it. Makes no sense why we always lose the Free Kick count every game.

Reactions: 2 users
The rules and rule interpretations are crap if even the commentators are confused for 50% of every game.

Reactions: 1 user
Just noticed Dimma told a journo to ask about the free kick diff to the league. Clearly shows it affects us even through the coaches and by Dimma being informal, this problem is really starting to kill us.

I can see the media having another laugh and criticism as they did last season with his Marvel Stadium comment.

Reactions: 3 users
Didnt see the game but read the foxsports report and the only mention of the free kicks was the iffy one to lynch!!

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I think we,ll have to out the umpires as part of the #metoo movement, they’ve been interfering with us worse than Harvey.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Adelaide were the better side - no problem with that. But statistically it is almost become an aberration. By all accounts we are very low on the ladder for some years when it comes to frees for and against. Any team can lose the free kick count and the umpires, on the day, may have been outstanding and got every call 100%. But geez…..

Round 1 - Carlton 28 free kicks to Richmond 20. Carlton touched us up in the last quarter and fully deserved their win. 40% more frees to the Blues.
Round 2 - GWS 26 free kicks to Richmond 18. We were in control all game and had a solid win. 44% more frees to GWS.
Round 3 - St Kilda 27 free kicks to Richmond 19. A repeat flogging in the last quarters to the Carlton game and Saints playing well. 42% more frees to the Saints.
Round 4 - Footscray 25 free kicks to Richmond 15. A game we won well. 66% more free kicks to Footscray.
Today - Adelaide 33 free kicks to Richmond 13 free kicks. Adelaide too good over 4 quarters. Adelaide 153% more free kicks than us.

In the last 2 weeks we have received 28 frees and been penalised 58 times. I don’t believe we are a dirty side for one minute.

Just taking those numbers into account does not necessarily they are unfair. But to my eye, it’s the bloody frees NOT paid in similar circumstances to both sides that is doing my head in! And I certainly respect it can be a difficult game to umpire.
For the sake of correctness I think you will find we won the free kick count against the giants 26-18 not the other way around

Reactions: 1 users
Tinfoil hat is on, and streaming 5G - hear me out.

The Stand rule was introduced to curb our dominance.

We rely on a pressure=turnover game. When a free kick is paid that negates our ability to win posession back and renders our pressure useless.

We lose the free kick differential every freakin week.

This is a directive from the AFL

Reactions: 4 users
Just noticed Dimma told a journo to ask about the free kick diff to the league. Clearly shows it affects us even through the coaches and by Dimma being informal, this problem is really starting to kill us.

I can see the media having another laugh and criticism as they did last season with his Marvel Stadium comment.
Jamison even made mention of it on the radio and he’s Adelaide!

In the absence of TBR:

When Richmond remove the ill discipline and change the way they play the frees against will diminish. I will need to review the tape to check the frees but from where I am sitting the umpires did a reasonably impartial job.

Umpiring is tough and the umpires should be treated with respect, otherwise the juniors will be chased out of the profession through fear of abuse.

This constant moaning by the fans and the club is detrimental to our cause and a sign of weakness.
Who cares about the umpires?
Won’t be long until there’s no supporters left and the game will collapse anyway. The AFL has ruined football.
As far as umpires doing a reasonably impartial job today, you need your eyes checked. Or you barrack for Adelaide

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1650119101424.png

Free Kick differential since 2017, clearly just really undisciplined for 6 years straight and not putting our heads over the ball....
Honestly it's too consistently lopsided not to be due to some part of our game style but gee whiz are we quick to be bent over particularly on the road.
I'm sure the 50 metre penalties for and against would be a similar story.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
I reckon AFL has got almost unwatchable. I can’t understand the decisions, just can’t work them out. Add to the “stand-chip-stand-chip” and the sport is just not what it was.
He called play on when Cotchin kicked to nakas too short no 15.
But 5 seconds later the Adelaide player chipped a 10m pass that was paid.
The umpiring was badd, but we lost because Parker is a dud, I'm over watching George play like a first gamer.
And our stars are finished

View attachment 15104

Free Kick differential since 2017, clearly just really undisciplined for 6 years straight and not putting our heads over the ball....
Honestly it's too consistently lopsided not to be due to some part of our game style but gee whiz are we quick to be bent over particularly on the road.
I'm sure the 50 metre penalties for and against would be a similar story.

There is one controllable factor that I view as a dilemma.

Other clubs train their players to exploit the boundaries of interpretations of the rules. E.g. they learn exactly what cue the umpire is looking for and train to exploit that (for and against)

We don't do that. My supporting evidence is to look at a number of our players ducking to win free kicks in 2016 who then cut it out of their game in 2017.

So, if that's the case...

One approach could be to train to exploit the rules as well. We could choose not to be bold, not to create the play, and learn how to twist into oncoming traffic in such a way to guarantee a free kick, etc.

The dilemma is this goes against the spirit of the game. And I think we've built up an incredible culture within the club that's based on good character, so I don't want us training to win more free kicks - ever.

Stand our ground on that one.
It's the right thing to do.

But perhaps we can get better at addressing the free kicks against part of the problem. One way to do that would be to get better at teaching the players the technical boundaries of the rules and how opposition players will try to exploit them.

If that's not enough, and if there's too many unavoidable situations in a game created by opposition players going against the spirit of the game but within the technicality of the rules - if that's true, then our only hope is to change the way the rules are written and/or interpreted.

That's hard, and probably only done through media presssure... which was Dimma's approach in tonight's press conference, funny enough.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
There is one controllable factor that I view as a dilemma.

Other clubs train their players to exploit the boundaries of interpretations of the rules. E.g. they learn exactly what cue the umpire is looking for and train to exploit that (for and against)

We don't do that. My supporting evidence is to look at a number of our players ducking to win free kicks in 2016 who then cut it out of their game in 2017.

So, if that's the case...

One approach could be to train to exploit the rules as well. We could choose not to be bold, not to create the play, and learn how to twist into oncoming traffic in such a way to guarantee a free kick, etc.

The dilemma is this goes against the spirit of the game. And I think we've built up an incredible culture within the club that's based on good character, so I don't want us training to win more free kicks - ever.

Stand our ground on that one.
It's the right thing to do.

But perhaps we can get better at addressing the free kicks against part of the problem. One way to do that would be to get better at teaching the players the technical boundaries of the rules and how opposition players will try to exploit them.

If that's not enough, and if there's too many unavoidable situations in a game created by opposition players going against the spirit of the game but within the technicality of the rules - if that's true, then our only hope is to change the way the rules are written and/or interpreted.

That's hard, and probably only done through media presssure... which was Dimma's approach in tonight's press conference, funny enough.
Hey there. I have not read any post past this one. I am sure you have had some great replies.
This is a very admirable effort at being diplomatic, mature, reasonable and fair - but you know what? Forget it, it’s all BS we are being reemed

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'm just really sorry that Hamish's brother is leaving. He's been great for the game.

Back to topic the referee thing looks like bias.

Hamish's brother resigned when he had to sell clubs. Didn't want to be remembered as that guy. But, who wants to buy a club that is victimised by referees? Or do recently-bought clubs come with referee bias? Who owns WCE?