Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Final quarter Riewoldt flies for a pack mark, comes off hands but he got a piece of it, commentators ask the question of why wasn't that paid. 10 minutes later 2 Adelaide players clearly have hands on the ball, umpire pays the mark and the commentators make a joke about it. The inconsistency tonight did my head in.

• Dislike
  • Angry
Reactions: 9 users
Wasn’t there a game there a few weeks back, might have been a Swans game, and the media were bleating on about the vast differential of frees in the game.
I think our game tonight was an even greater difference but I know we won’t hear anything reported.
Pathetic.

Reactions: 3 users
Final quarter Riewoldt flies for a pack mark, comes off hands but he got a piece of it, commentators ask the question of why wasn't that paid. 10 minutes later 2 Adelaide players clearly have hands on the ball, umpire pays the mark and the commentators make a joke about it. The inconsistency tonight did my head in.
Yep it was terrible umpiring matched by the terrible commentary.

Just a standard umpiring display against us. We are easy meat for the *smile* umps

• Angry
Shai on the boundary line just laughing at the end.

The players know we are getting penetrated.

Time for the club to escalate this

Reactions: 2 users
In the absence of TBR:

When Richmond remove the ill discipline and change the way they play the frees against will diminish. I will need to review the tape to check the frees but from where I am sitting the umpires did a reasonably impartial job.

Umpiring is tough and the umpires should be treated with respect, otherwise the juniors will be chased out of the profession through fear of abuse.

This constant moaning by the fans and the club is detrimental to our cause and a sign of weakness.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 11 users
In the absence of TBR:

When Richmond remove the ill discipline and change the way they play the frees against will diminish. I will need to review the tape to check the fress but from where I am sitting the umpires did a reasonably impartial job.

Umpiring is tough and the umpires should be treated with respect, otherwise the juniors will be chased out of the profession through fear of abuse.

This constant moaning by the fans and the club is detrimental to our cause and a sign of weakness.
What you say is correct. However the biggest issue is the same indiscretions by the opposition go unnoticed by the umpires. This is where our frustrations lie.

Reactions: 4 users
AFL really is a joke..umpiring is main reason.

I'm just having a look at Melb game as we type.

There is only like 20k there.
Last years premiers.
AFL will probably lie and say it was 35k

Sad.

Sorry forgot. Regardless of how incompetent they are you can't criticise them on and off the field. They're doing a fabulous job.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I reckon AFL has got almost unwatchable. I can’t understand the decisions, just can’t work them out. Add to the “stand-chip-stand-chip” and the sport is just not what it was.

Reactions: 8 users
I just want to watch a game of football without my facial expression stuck like I'm watching a UFO abducting a cow with a stick up it's ass to the tune of Revolution 9.

It's an embarrassing look for me when people are over.

• Haha
33 to 13 frees so something tells me there is some umpiring bias going on. I know our playing styling will give away some frees but the umpires having different rule interpretations between the teams planning is unforgivable

Reactions: 1 users
Adelaide were the better side - no problem with that. But statistically it is almost become an aberration. By all accounts we are very low on the ladder for some years when it comes to frees for and against. Any team can lose the free kick count and the umpires, on the day, may have been outstanding and got every call 100%. But geez…..

Round 1 - Carlton 28 free kicks to Richmond 20. Carlton touched us up in the last quarter and fully deserved their win. 40% more frees to the Blues.
Round 2 - GWS 26 free kicks to Richmond 18. We were in control all game and had a solid win. 44% more frees to GWS.
Round 3 - St Kilda 27 free kicks to Richmond 19. A repeat flogging in the last quarters to the Carlton game and Saints playing well. 42% more frees to the Saints.
Round 4 - Footscray 25 free kicks to Richmond 15. A game we won well. 66% more free kicks to Footscray.
Today - Adelaide 33 free kicks to Richmond 13 free kicks. Adelaide too good over 4 quarters. Adelaide 153% more free kicks than us.

In the last 2 weeks we have received 28 frees and been penalised 58 times. I don’t believe we are a dirty side for one minute.

Just taking those numbers into account does not necessarily they are unfair. But to my eye, it’s the bloody frees NOT paid in similar circumstances to both sides that is doing my head in! And I certainly respect it can be a difficult game to umpire.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users