Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Expect another outcry from Robbo re Sidebottoms blatant manipulation of the “in the protected zone” free kick, SS ran boundary side tricking his opponent to get too close to the player with the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Protected zone
Stand Rule
Remonstrating with an umpire

50m penalties

All custom designed to increase scoring & sell more advertising space. All open to interpretation & abuse.

The peasants are revolting however. This ain't football.

Reactions: 11 users
Protected zone
Stand Rule

50m penalties

All custom designed to increase scoring & sell more advertising space. All open to interpretation & abuse.

Yep. All these crazy rules that were put in place to increse scoring and the answer was always right under their nose.

Protected zone
Stand Rule

50m penalties

Only way it can go back to the good ol days is if the ratings fall off the cliff.
Fans should vote with their remotes.

First quarter last night, Bears player takes mark about 60 out, Maynard is on the mark takes 1-2 steps back, ump yells STAND.... Maynard keeps stepping backwards, ump immediately yells OUTSIDE 5....he was only about 2-3m from where the mark was taken. Clear 50 last week, this week play on.

All the changes to the game of recent times has been at the behest of the broadcasters. This may have increased the ratings and the payoff will be a mammoth broadcasting deal for the AFL which will be Gill’s legacy.
However the outcome of these changes is that the fans are pissed off and staying away in droves. It’s not Covid hesitancy that is causing the low crowd numbers. The GP had massive attendance. It is the ticketing, stand rule, extended time between goals, etc etc.

Reactions: 2 users
The stand shitshow is getting worse by the week. Its abysmal in and of itself, but the amount of variables combined with the inconsistency is terrible, comical.

Sometimes the ump sets the mark then yells stand, sometimes they just yell stand regardless of where the player or the mark is. Sometimes they put the player receiving the kick on their line, sometimes they don't. (Players are onto this I reckon and are stooging the umps, as long as they don't move sideways they can take their kick outside the line of where the MOM is, rendering them useless without any threat of a play-on call, this happened a few times last week. Another aspect that is against the basic principle of the game). Sometimes players have to be a statue, sometimes they can move a metre or a step or so (its about the vibe apparently). Sometimes the player taking the kick is called to play on as soon as they move an inch off the line, sometimes they can wander off the line by 3 metres and no call (there has always been a bit of this, but it is exacerbated now with the stand rule). Sometimes the ump yells stand and the player moves backward (which is logically OK), and isn't penalised, sometimes they are penalised. Sometimes the ump yells 'back 5' and then allows movement, sometimes just 'stand' regardless of if they have moved back 5.

As many of us said when it came in, they just didn't think it through. And this shitshow is the inevitable result

Reactions: 13 users
The game of Australian Rules was/has always been a game of 18v18. Taking a player out of active play by making him impersonate a statue to try and increase scoring is one of the most contrived nonsensical rules ever. So we shouldn’t be surprised that full time coaches/players have found ways to circumvent the rule making a mockery of it. Fully expect that once Gill is gone and probably others with him, the rule will be dumped and go back to the previous man on the mark rule along with the protected zone, which IMO was a great rule.

Reactions: 1 users
The other thing it does is completely tie up an umpires attention on policing it and this be unable to umpire anything else going on. Instead of having to just be aware if a player goes over a mark / watching for play on. He or she now needs to call ‘stand’ and monitor religiously if a player moves before they call play on. There is no way they could have awareness of much else doing this. And if it’s a chip short type of game they will be simply blowing the whistle for a mark calling stand and calling play on.

Reactions: 3 users
There was only one person who wanted the stand rule and that was SHocking, as soon as he was gone the rule should have gone with him.

Reactions: 4 users
The stand shitshow is getting worse by the week. Its abysmal in and of itself, but the amount of variables combined with the inconsistency is terrible, comical.

Sometimes the ump sets the mark then yells stand, sometimes they just yell stand regardless of where the player or the mark is. Sometimes they put the player receiving the kick on their line, sometimes they don't. (Players are onto this I reckon and are stooging the umps, as long as they don't move sideways they can take their kick outside the line of where the MOM is, rendering them useless without any threat of a play-on call, this happened a few times last week. Another aspect that is against the basic principle of the game). Sometimes players have to be a statue, sometimes they can move a metre or a step or so (its about the vibe apparently). Sometimes the player taking the kick is called to play on as soon as they move an inch off the line, sometimes they can wander off the line by 3 metres and no call (there has always been a bit of this, but it is exacerbated now with the stand rule). Sometimes the ump yells stand and the player moves backward (which is logically OK), and isn't penalised, sometimes they are penalised. Sometimes the ump yells 'back 5' and then allows movement, sometimes just 'stand' regardless of if they have moved back 5.

As many of us said when it came in, they just didn't think it through. And this shitshow is the inevitable result
Yeah...no grey interpretations in this at all hey…stupid *smile* rule !

Last edited:
The other thing it does is completely tie up an umpires attention on policing it and this be unable to umpire anything else going on. Instead of having to just be aware if a player goes over a mark / watching for play on. He or she now needs to call ‘stand’ and monitor religiously if a player moves before they call play on. There is no way they could have awareness of much else doing this. And if it’s a chip short type of game they will be simply blowing the whistle for a mark calling stand and calling play on.
A lot of the usual suspect media AFL lapdogs support the rule, but not one of them tells you what is good about it, what problem it was brought in to solve or how it adds to the game.

WC v Swans
Why are umps allowing the player that kicks the ball into play after a behind to run 30m from the goal square without bouncing the ball? Shouldn’t a free be paid against them?

WC v Swans
Why are umps allowing the player that kicks the ball into play after a behind to run 30m from the goal square without bouncing the ball? Shouldn’t a free be paid against the\
Nah mate, that rule went also, apparently,

Slightly off topic.
Caught up with 2 mates today (ex AFL lovers)

Had a good chat about how they only watch 1 game a week now (their team) where as they used to watch 4 only 5.

I'm in similar boat.
I watch Richmond (if I can, on TV)
Rarely go these days and maybe 1 other match for weekend.

I used to watch 4 or 5 also...a lot of people like this now i reckon.

• Love
I’m very confused in regards to the Andrews 50 ( surprise surprise). I admit I didn’t watch most of that game and didn’t see the incident except in replays, so I may have missed the context surrounding it. But from what I gather, an iffy free kick was paid against him and he put out his arms to gesture “what?”. That constitutes umpire abuse these days? Players are not allowed to even question a decision, no matter how bad or wrong it is? I can understand if he went off his nut at the umpire but he didn’t. Questioning equals umpire abuse now? When did umpires become infallible gods?
At the beginning of the season the AFL came out and specifically emphasised stamping out ABUSE not questioning. Even in the first few rounds, players were getting away with disagreeing with decisions.
Have umpires now become so precious and delicate? I feel this may backfire on the AFL as it makes umpires look stupid and they will cop it from spectators and the media even more.
I do feel for the umpires at times as all the rule changes from management make it a nightmare to follow, but surely umpires can use common sense when it comes to this

Reactions: 2 users