Troy Simmonds to Retire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Troy Simmonds to Retire

Brodders17 said:
IMO you're wrong on all counts.

Disco Stu said:
Exactly, but why let the facts get in the way of a good rant. Also the playing group would have lost faith in the club by sacking a player mid contract.

WesternTiger said:
How the hell were we going to get rid of McMuffin? You know he was contracted. Do you also realise that if we sacked him and paid him out his salary would have gone against the 2009 salary cap?

ZeroGame said:
Sanchez was still contracted for the 3rd year of his initial deal, not our decision to make as no one wanted him at trade time
Simmo was kept as insurance in our weak ruck division. Perhaps we could have kept Pattison but we had 14 changes anyway, not the end of the world
We had to decide on our rookie elevations to replace our veterans prior to Round 1, we upgraded both our mature rookies as there was no other stand outs. Gourdis was perhaps unlucky but he was hardly knocking the door down for a spot either.

This.

I listened to his entire press conference yesterday, what a quality person.
He said that Richo was the best player that he ever played with, and as we all know is a great guy.
He said he was going to hang around for the rest of the year and help our young ruckman.

All the best in your retirement Troy

My concern in Troy's chat with Harford on SEN was Troy speaking of a lot of "new" terminology about zones and the like, shows how far off the mark our previous coaches have been :mad:

Well done and well bowed out, Troy, hope you can help out in ruck development

Tigers of Old said:
That's the great thing about opinions.
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone's got one. Can't remember who said that one....

5 toes on the nose said:
Hopefully you can demonstrate some of those martial art moves - against Milne - at your finale?
Ironically my mate always said Simmonds couldn't get a kick in a chinese street fight, be interesting to see how he went.

All the best in the future Troy. A terrific player for the club. Gave everything. When free from injury, was amongst the best in the competition.

I'm amazed at the way supporters ignore the niggles and injuries players carry. Look at Jonathon Brown (who should have been rested). Listen to Mark Williams' angry press conference last night. Players have to learn to carry pain and injuries and battle through and clubs know what's going on, and roll the dice on what they can do despite their injuries.

Last saw Simmo at the Sydney game. When Dimma put him at full forward, he straightened us up immediately, took a great contested mark, and gave us our second goal. Should have stayed there.

It's really important that the club shows respect for a retiring player. It has a huge impact on those who stay behind to rebuild. Most retiring players are well past their best, and often the last game isn't a great one. Doesn't matter; it's about respect for everything they've done, and the sacrifice and courage they've shown over the years. Maybe if we had a place in the 8 or in the 4 on the line, you'd be careful about when the final game is, but we don't.