Troy Simmonds to Retire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Troy Simmonds to Retire

Thinking a bit about Snake-

Anyone who played over a 100 AFL games as a ruckman at Troy’s size disserves a lot of respect. He has taken an absolute hammering over the last 5 years to do his job.

I for one am not knocking his abilities as a footballer in his day (he played nearly 200 games of AFL more than me). That day is gone and he offers no value to the RFC as a player in 2010.

It would have been great if he could have got to 100 for us, or even 200 games.

Battered from pillar to post.

:clap Thanks Troy !

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Not before time.

A shame he went on this year (whether it was his decision or the club "pushed" him into it).

Had a couple of good years with us, but it was sad, almost painful watching him the past year and a bit.

Agreed.
The signs were on the wall round 1 last year that he was finished.
Shame it's taken a year and a half for the powers that be to see it but that's not Troy's fault.
Good luck to him.

His knee was stuffed last year and he could barely walk in the last game he played.

Good luck to Troy and thanks for your efforts in the yellow and black.

Hopefully this is Dave Gourdis's big opportunity. Go the goo!!

RFC not KFC said:
Our chief com of police can't remember where she was the night of the bushfires - you buying that story too?

Sorry I dont see the connection. I think you are referring to the EX chief police commissioner and her name is Christine Nixon. I know a few cops and their opinion of her is less than positive (to put it midly). As far as I am concerned Nixon is grossly incompetent to run anything of importance. But again whats this got to do with the point of discussion here?

Kind of hard to "keep the faith" when we have clueless people still in charge who thought it was wise to give Simmo another contract. The signs were there for all to see in 09.

For what we gave up he was a pretty good pickup. Who knows, maybe if we had a half decent 2nd ruckman in the last 5 years he could of still been playing.

Jason King said:
Very good player and should be remembered as such. Dont let the decisions of the RFC get in the way of how good Troy was. Good luck to the bloke.

Agreed.

Troy came to us in place of Fiora which was a huge upgrade.

First year he was bulked up too much by the coaching staff to play in the ruck - struggled.
Second year got fitter and was unlucky not to be an All Australian ruckman.
Third, fourth and fifth years had injuries which forced him to struggle and left Pattison and even Tuck to do a lot of the rucking.
Sixth year was asked to play on even tho he was ready to retire.

On this thread he should be remembered as a solid AFL player who tried his best for the Richmond Football Club.

As for the other points about the club decisions re Simmonds: http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=39716.135

IrockZ said:
Kind of hard to "keep the faith" when we have clueless people still in charge who thought it was wise to give Simmo another contract. The signs were there for all to see in 09.
That Clueless person was Hardwick himself.Wanted Simmo around to protect Vickery etc.

mb64 said:
That was not a great decision by Hardwick

In HINDSIGHT it wasn't a great decision, but put yourself in Dimma's shoes and you could understand why he wanted Simmo to stay for 1 more year.

It's not like he gave up much to keep him, not like giving up pick 19 for Jordan McMahon.

IMO this isn't a cross on Hardwick.

Nearly died in 2007 and came back the next year and represented Victoria.
He was a good serviceable player for us over the years.
Thanks Simmo. :clap

Looks like he`s getting a farewell game next week V the Saints....

"Simmonds will play his last game against St Kilda next week but says he hopes to play some role in guiding Richmond’s young ruckmen Angus Graham, Ty Vickery and Andrew Browne for at least the rest of the season."

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
That Clueless person was Hardwick himself.Wanted Simmo around to protect Vickery etc.

Hardwick also bears some responsibility for the decision to keep Simmonds but I do not believe for a second that Cameron had nothing to do with it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/troy-symmondss-big-surprise/story-e6frf9jf-1225784565850?from=public_rss

Instead coach Damian Hardwick and the list management committee have offered him a one-year deal.

It was patently obvious to those watching Simmonds last year that he was finished. Astounded at the time he was retained and nothing has swayed that thought.