Troy Simmonds to Retire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Troy Simmonds to Retire

All the best to Simmo. Played some good footy for us, played for Vic a couple of years ago, struggled with injury towards the end. All in all a very good career of football at the highest level. He should be proud of his 197 games. Well done. :clap

mb64 said:
l am,should never have been retained this year

Tigers of Old said:
Agree. Well said.

Yeah, OK, I don't think many disagree.

But it happened, nothing we can do about it, so lets all move along.

I'd like to think that any bloke who makes it on to our list gets some acknowledgement from the fans for their efforts.

Does this mean that we can upgrade 2 rookies now mid-year??

Gourdis and Contin perhaps??

peggles said:
exactly, he should have been put on the long term injury list and retired at the end of the season instaed.

Gourdis will be on the main list within 3 weeks.

ROLLS ROYCE said:
Is this fact.

So a player retires but cant be replaced yet if he fakes long term injury can be replaced. ???
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that when a player is put on the LTI list, the AFL appoints its own independent doctors to also assess the injury to prevent this exact scenario happening.

As I posted on the other thread about this, there is an article on the AFL site that says a rookie can be promoted due to a long term injury or retirement by a senior player.

Good luck to Troy in retirement. Not sad to see him go though.

Spare me the rubbish about him only playing on for the good of the club, people who believe this also think the "fairy dust" the big fella blew out in "The Green Mile" was real.

RFC not KFC said:
....people who believe this also think the "fairy dust" the big fella blew out in "The Green Mile" was real.

It was wasn't it?

RFC not KFC said:
Spare me the rubbish about him only playing on for the good of the club, people who believe this also think the "fairy dust" the big fella blew out in "The Green Mile" was real.

I've met many selfless people in my life. Can't vouch either way for Simmonds as I don't know the situation but surely you can't just fob it off categorically as rubbish?

Not before time.

A shame he went on this year (whether it was his decision or the club "pushed" him into it).

Had a couple of good years with us, but it was sad, almost painful watching him the past year and a bit.

Respect Simmo.

The trouble with our game is we remember the last things a player did not the great things.

Good luck for the future.

Hope to see you at the games riding the Tigers to their next premiership then we are all gonna have the biggest Party Australia has ever seen.

GoodOne said:
I've met many selfless people in my life. Can't vouch either way for Simmonds as I don't know the situation but surely you can't just fob it off categorically as rubbish?

Our chief com of police can't remember where she was the night of the bushfires - you buying that story too?

Don't know why we signed him last year, what a waste of money. He was never going to be any good this year, he was terrible last year.

He did give us a couple of decent years out of the 6 he was on our list, but I would have much rather held onto Ottens.

Simmo is part of a very select group -

A good trade for the Tigers club.

Had a good career.

Leysy Days said:
Simmo is part of a very select group -

A good trade for the Tigers club.

About the only thing Fiora was any good for. It still makes me sick every time I see Pavlich play, he is having a great year this year.

Good luck to Troy, it's a shame he picked up injuries after the best season of his career. Respect for him in that he realised when it was time to go.