Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

You’ve got it backwards. It’s been explained but people like to stay oblivious of the point being made.
It’s done. It’s over. Yet people want to continually bring it up.
There’s only one reason, they must be trying to convince themselves.
if you believe *smile* often enough it can become real is their motto ;)

Reactions: 1 user
So, there's folks here who are looking at micro level stuff. I'd prefer to look at things with a little bigger picture, and a level of realism.

You're right, rating our lists ability to win games in 25, will likely be inferior to 24. Although we may win more games if we dont have as many injuries - a fit 24 list would be unlikely to have finished on the bottom. Next year, our level of realised talent will likely be worse. No arguments there.

We lost those special players and we've also lost some others who were once brilliant but are no longer capable eg Grimes... Dusty in his prime ...I don't need to say anything. But we no longer had those players. Again, no argument. However, we can't stop father time. Nor can we force everyone to stay a Tiger. The actual challenge was to get high value from the returns of those opportunities.

I believe the outcome of the trade period and subsequent draft means our (unrealised) potential will be significantly higher next year than this year was. We may never have that talent realised, but we weren’t making finals again with the 2024 list we had anyway.

At least we've given ourselves the chance for significant improvement, not just holding ground. That's where the rating for the actual trade period should lie. On the moves you've made to improve the list, if not for the short term, in the long term.

We've got a level of picks to rebuild our club, that only expansion clubs have had. With no AFL intervention. No priority picks. no handouts. That has to count for something.

If folks want to haggle of minor movement of draft numbers, let em *smile* and moan that pick 32 was unnecessary, or we gave too much for xyz... They can live with their negative pessimism. I'd back Blair and the team's strategy and execution over that uninformed nonsense any day.

We had a *smile* hand. We dealt ourselves a great one.
Agree, weaker on field in 2025, but a lot closer to flag number 14 than in 2024.

I wasn’t suggesting that’s what we did only that going forward clubs might try to sign their stars to long term contracts to protect themselves.
Contracts? It seems they can be broken anytime. Rarely do clubs enforce them. Maybe with Oliver or Petracca unless over the odds draft capital is involved.
I think most clubs have been trying to tie their better players up. Especially with Tassy coming in.
Some players/managers take a chance especially when close to FA.
But in a negotiating sense, they do help to maybe extract a slightly better deal.

Yes and there were many ways of giving them those points which did not include pick 31 we had plenty of later picks we could use instead and keep 32 in a deep draft which . Anyways it’s done now, I recall people were defending the trade for 20 based on scenarios that didn’t play out
Exactly the point., that was made at the time of the trade.
Now the hindsighters want to add Rioli or Bolton or Baker and their trades into the mix to deflect from the main point that was made after that first trade.
But deflection and muddying the waters is their go. They can’t justify that first trade so they add it to something else.

Fact 1-You can only trade for picks if you have the same list spots vacancies.Brisbane with 32 instead of extra late picks to make up for points,If that happened Brisbane would've had no choice but to delist someone they prefer too keep.
Fact 2-We were after more in the Rioli deal than just 6.If we gave up what you suggested then 32 would be Suns bound as we'd have no value for them with pick 60 & 69.
Fact 3-We were after 10 & 11.We achieved that.
Fact 4-As stated by Blair the aim was to move up the draft as much as possible.We did it and may not be over yet.
These are the Known facts.You can blow up about 32 all you want but the FACT remains it was never staying with us so 32 for 20 is a great deal.
no we didn't maximize our trade higher up in the trade . We got some higher picks, but not the maximum outcome. There's been better options listed by posters and myself. Again Blair was gifted a great trade period, but didn't get the best outcome and why i gave him a B+.

That's unproven and again shows what a poor negotiator Blair is by gifting them close to 800points which is pick 24 equivalent. Absolute disgusting trade. Thanks for making my point that Blair is average at best.
Sorry, I think your argument is the only thing unproven, the only thing proven is pick 32 helped us get pick 20.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The whole argument of not giving 32 is because it was unnecessary to hand over that many points to Brisbane. It's intertwined.
The whole point of trading with Brisbane was because they needed points to get their father-son/academy picks.
Yes and those pints could have come from our later picks rather than pick 32 which is the whole point even if we needed to give as many points as we actually gave them which is still unclear. The points value of the later picks was pretty close to the points value of 32.

Reactions: 1 users
BUT COST US PICK 14. LOL
Shhhhhh.
We got all those you beaut picks for nothing. They don’t realise we lost 3 of our best players to get them ;)
You can only rate the trade period on what you get. Not what it cost you to get anything. ;) (Edit, I had to add the wink)

• Haha
Yes and those pints could have come from our later picks rather than pick 32 which is the whole point even if we needed to give as many points as we actually gave them which is still unclear. The points value of the later picks was pretty close to the points value of 32.
They couldn't have, but didn't. And those points were used to get Rioli, which Blair probably knew about. Anyone who thinks he just had a brain wave to hand over some late picks on the last day, I'd suggest are a tad naive.

The end result though, we're no worse off. The end result of the trade week is basically the same result. Just the journey we took to get there is different to what some folks would like, even they have no evidence that what they would have preferred would ever be accepted by Brisbane, Freo or Gold Coast. The folks wailing about the journey forget we ended up at the same destination, and have no evidence to the contrary.

If those types would like to spend the next week or two crying in their wheaties, fill ya boots. I'll be off dreaming about who our 8 in 24 can be turned into.

Reactions: 1 users
As you are talking about what was proven, please show the proof of that and not an opinion, you raised the " proven/ not proven". Happy to admit my mistake as soon as you provide the pick 14 proof.
IT'S BEEN DONE TO DEATH. Stop going round in circles as you still are on first base that pick 32 got us pick 20. Absolute nonsense as there were 3 other picks involved which led to a net loss of pick 24.

In all the history of AFL trading and drafting, how many times has a list manager successfully traded for SIX additional first round picks during one trade week?

The GWS and GC guys have probably done a couple or maybe even three at one time, esp GWS who are pretty good at identifying guys who they used early picks on and aren’t going to make it and often have to deal with homesick players. Occasionally, their academy kids have given them an extra couple of first round picks on draft night. I may be wrong but I can’t remember anyone trading for six extra first rounders in one hit.

Hartley didn’t end up with a first and a second and a steak knives player on any of his deals. That is the usual result, given that every team is given ONE first round pick each year. The strategy was planned last year with the repeated slide backs for extra mid range picks. Teams with extra picks were targeted, players were consulted and assisted in getting where they wanted to go.

Contrast the Houston deal. Port are unhappy because they didn’t get two first round picks, the player is not where he wanted to go and the receiving club has no picks for two years.

This is has been a Bradmanesque performance.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
If those types would like to spend the next week or two crying in their wheaties, fill ya boots. I'll be off dreaming about who our 8 in 24 can be turned into.
You are one of the main culprits who keep bringing it up ;)
We only reply when the question is asked…again and again and again. Just too be accomodating.
“ Spend the next week?”. You’re slow mate, we’d already moved ages ago.
It’s just those types trying to justify their crying and whining that can’t let go about people who have a different opinion than them.
You watch…it will be asked again today, tomorrow…:giggle:

Last edited:
  • Haha
14 & 32 for 11 & 20.
You logic is too simple . What happened to all the other picks including a F3? You are not looking at individual trades and the only trade Blair won on was the Baker trade. He then blew it on the Bolton trade.

Last edited:
LOL, I'd bet the clubs aren't discussing that, Blair would just turn around and walk out and head to the draft. We have the list spots so no issue there, if we didn't we could trade into the 2025 draft, so we have no risk and there isn't a defined superstar at 2, sure he will be expected to be a better player, but not to that extent.
Blair sounded like,he wasn't 100% convinced we need to get pick 2 as it's a deep draft,so will only do so if it's a benefit to us.
History does side with clubs keeping or acquiring picks 1,2,3 as picking up a champion for 2 afl standard players.

Yes they were going to be traded one way or the other . God forbid some suggests it was not the greatest of deals and we lost out on that one.
But hey if i listen to people around here everything Blair touches is gold never a mistake there. Talk about a pack of sycophant's
Nope anyone who dares think other than what the hive think can gagf !!!! real intelligent and mature that.
No one thinks that Blair never makes a mistake. We are just questioning certain people’s ability to judge them 😎

• Love
In all the history of AFL trading and drafting, how many times has a list manager successfully traded for SIX additional first round picks during one trade week?

The GWS and GC guys have probably done a couple or maybe even three at one time, esp GWS who are pretty good at identifying guys who they used early picks on and aren’t going to make it and often have to deal with homesick players. Occasionally, their academy kids have given them an extra couple of first round picks on draft night. I may be wrong but I can’t remember anyone trading for six extra first rounders in one hit.

Hartley didn’t end up with a first and a second and a steak knives player on any of his deals. That is the usual result, given that every team is given ONE first round pick each year. The strategy was planned last year with the repeated slide backs for extra mid range picks. Teams with extra picks were targeted, players were consulted and assisted in getting where they wanted to go.

Contrast the Houston deal. Port are unhappy because they didn’t get two first round picks, the player is not where he wanted to go and the receiving club has no picks for two years.

This is has been a Bradmanesque performance.
Blairesque 😉

Reactions: 2 users