Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

How did we lose? What extra would we have gotten if we'd kept it?
Surely that has all been done hasn’t it?
Obviously the pick 32 we gave up wasn’t particularly important to Brisbane seeing they traded it down. Even when so many posters on here were adamant we had to hand it over. How they know that, I don’t know.
But if we’d used other latter picks for the points Brisbane required that pick 32 could have been utilised with other picks for a higher points accrual to get a lower pick.

But of course, some posters believe it was good business that we overpaid picks for points when we could have done it in another way that gave the same points to Brisbane and we kept a higher pick to use elsewhere.
Either those posters have little idea how the draft point index works or are being deliberately obtuse.

When you owe someone $10 you don’t hand over 3 x$5 notes, when you’ve got 5x $2 coins in your pocket. And you can then use that other $5 for something else. Anyone can see that. Well …maybe not

It’s fairly simple.i don’t know why people have got their knickers in a knot because some people were critical of that trade.
Those that are happy with the trade, good on them.
Those that weren’t, good on them for expressing their opinion.

How did we lose? What extra would we have gotten if we'd kept it?
Again? Really?
We paid more points in draft picks than we needed to.
We could have got a better deal using that p32 with the rest of our latter points.

Haven’t you asked this ten different ways already? Haven’t other posters asked the same question over and over?
How many times does it need answering.
Maybe it’s too convoluted a trade for people to grasp the context.

Surely that has all been done hasn’t it?
Obviously the pick 32 we gave up wasn’t particularly important to Brisbane seeing they traded it down. Even when so many posters on here were adamant we had to hand it over. How they know that, I don’t know.

Because we did hand it over.

Blair's not an idiot, and didn't hand it over out of the love in his heart.

We traded 32 for 20, and gave junk up Brisbane to get it done.

It's mind blowing that people are still wound up about this.

We traded the rest of our junk to GC anyway.

There's an odd fixation on points, and the money analogy is a non sequitur.

Points are completely irrelevant to your draft hand unless you're bidding on FS or academy players. They were brought in for that reason. They are not equivalent to the worth of a draft pick to a team, and are just a rough index. They have no bearing on the quality of player.

Some would say that this hypothetical team would be getting 'bent over' to use the worst term on this forum, because they're losing out on 57 points.

1000023006.jpg

But of course, some posters believe it was good business that we overpaid picks for points when we could have done it in another way that gave the same points to Brisbane and we kept a higher pick to use elsewhere.
Either those posters have little idea how the draft point index works or are being deliberately obtuse.

It's no big deal and have no interest in debating it.

But teams wanting to trade "up" into the draft with teams that want "points".

Will ALWAYS trade into a points deficit. That's just the way the points system is structured vs actual value of picks.

Did we pay a bit overs - maybe. But it was minor. And in the wash-up it was worth 5% of the angst it creeated on here.

You'll see what Brisbane actually do with 27 to show the value they place on it.

Reactions: 1 users
Again? Really?
We paid more points in draft picks than we needed to.
We could have got a better deal using that p32 with the rest of our latter points.

Haven’t you asked this ten different ways already? Haven’t other posters asked the same question over and over?
How many times does it need answering.
Maybe it’s too convoluted a trade for people to grasp the context.
I wasn't talking to you. Feel free to jog on if the question offends you.

There's an odd fixation on points, and the money analogy is a non sequitur.

Points are completely irrelevant to your draft hand unless you're bidding on FS or academy players. They were brought in for that reason. They are not equivalent to the worth of a draft pick to a team, and are just a rough index. They have no bearing on the quality of player.
This. x 10000
The value of the points does not directly relate to the value of the club that has it or wants it. The depth of the draft, the amount of list spaces available all vary the worth of the pick to a club.

People who hold onto arbitrary values needlessly will often find themselves disappointed. As Leysy has stated above. Every club that has traded picks to move up sacrifices more than the value of the pick.

We got what we needed. We didn't lose out on anything (eg we were never getting pick 13 as part of Rioli or 10/11 for Bolton).

To labour these points over and over is disgusting posting 😉

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah it’s not we traded out 3 of our better players. Some think we got an A+ or better :LOL:
We just got all those picks for turning up. They only look at the end result of draft picks, not what we gave up to get it.

Then down the track they’ll tell you that draft pick numbers don’t matter. Unless you haven’t got them, of course.
Or it doesn’t matter what position a player is drafted. They’ll even say draft picks are overrated. Unless you never had that pick to draft him in the first place.
They’ll make anything up to suit their own narrative.
Then you have all the opinions about who to pick where and how they’ve performed to go at a certain pick. Are they selected on their junior form or on how they’re projected to develop as adult players?

Plenty here like to have a bob each way. That way in time they can change their position.
They’re the only ones whose opinion matters. If you don’t tow that line, you don’t know nuffin. :giggle:
Yep it happens all the time. Short time ive been here if you don't agree you can *smile* off.
In a game of footy the goal posts don't move.
When things aren't going their way they have a magic gift of moving the posts or magically being able to read other peoples minds. I'm already to the point where in their words the hive can gagf, they are not worth the effort.

I wasn't talking to you. Feel free to jog on if the question offends you.
Well he obviously answered for me. Whats with the smart arse outburst. Willo has in a gracious way summed it up perfectly yet all we keep copping is abuse like GAGF from a certain poster.

Bottom line you can disagree thats your right. My opinion is we lost on that trade. Im not sure why that fires people up so much. It is an opposing opinion and it ain't gunna change. Are we no longer allowed a differing opinion? If yes why all the angst ?

Reactions: 1 user
Well he obviously answered for me. Whats with the smart arse outburst. Willo has in a gracious way summed it up perfectly yet all we keep copping is abuse like GAGF from a certain poster.

Bottom line you can disagree thats your right. My opinion is we lost on that trade. Im not sure why that fires people up so much. It is an opposing opinion and it ain't gunna change. Are we no longer allowed a differing opinion? If yes why all the angst ?
I love this delicious irony. There was no "outburst". Take a chill pill.

You are perfectly allowed a different opinion. But, in doing so, anyone else is allowed to challenge it. (Like you are challenging mine).

You've stated your opinion, I accept it's your opinion. What I've asked you to answer - factually - where the club got hurt by doing what it did? How else was the pick going to be used that we lost out on?

Because for all the axe grinding going on, I've yet to see one credible scenario that showed we lost out on anything, just a lot of coulda shoulda woulda stuff.

Folks were panicking we'd need 32 to get 23 for Rioli (we didn't). Folks were saying we'd need it to entice Freo to give us 10 and 11 for Bolton. That didn't happen. The other complaint was we'd have a bunch of junk picks when we could have saved 32 for ourselves. Wrong again. We have no other picks, and not enough list spots to use 32.

So, have an opinion, sure. But realise facts probably make that opinion look wrong.

Reactions: 1 user