Trade Period Rating Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Period Rating Poll

How do you rate our trade period

• A

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • B

Votes: 73 32.6%
  • C

Votes: 105 46.9%
  • D

Votes: 34 15.2%
  • E

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
We picked up another Carlton failure and grunt mid. We lost two second rounders. Re-signing our own player in Lennon has got SFA to do with trade week unless we were planning to offload him - which we weren't. A fail from me.

I'm still bullish about our chances next year - but getting a real diamond might've made the difference between a GF appearance and just another so-so finals run.

FitenFitenWin said:
but getting a real diamond might've made the difference between a GF appearance and just another so-so finals run.
And it might've hurt future GF appearances due to losing players to other clubs and/or the loss of choice draft picks. I still maintain that we should forget trying to lure a-grade talent to our club from rivals until we can successfully offer salaries below the market rate (like Hawthorn can). Our best bet is to target the draft for these players, because at the moment only drafted players can be had at salaries below the market rate (like Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt).

Giardiasis said:
And it might've hurt future GF appearances due to losing players to other clubs and/or the loss of choice draft picks.

Maybe. Maybe not. That too is a very speculative approach. One thing you could bank on is getting more A grade talent into the place will help not hurt our chances of a GF appearance. You can draft until the cows come home and still just keep pace with the mob. At some stage you need to separate yourself from the rest - the best way to do that is to trade aggressively on top of drafting wisely.

glantone said:
It’s great that we’re competitive and it’s great that we win but it ain’t great how we compete, and how we win.

..for me this season was the most boring year of football I’ve seen Richmond play. Some mongrel hybrid prison game. Most wins felt like a loss. Even in the bad old days at least our incompetence offered some laughs amongst the tears. Seriously antman how many times did you leave the ground thinking 'wow how amazing was that?' you know that sense that you've witnessed something special. Something to remember.

There's no accounting for taste, so we'll have to disagree on this one Glantone. I've watched so many Richmond sides try to play running, attractive attacking football but when the pressures on they just melted.

So when we choked the life out of Hawthorn, Freo, Sydney, Port etc I loved it. LOVED IT

FitenFitenWin said:
Maybe. Maybe not. That too is a very speculative approach. One thing you could bank on is getting more A grade talent into the place will help not hurt our chances of a GF appearance. You can draft until the cows come home and still just keep pace with the mob. At some stage you need to separate yourself from the rest - the best way to do that is to trade aggressively on top of drafting wisely.
Every approach is speculative! Sure it might improve our chances in the short term, my point is that it is just as likely to hurt in the long term. I'd argue that trading aggressively for a-graders is a winning strategy IF you can low ball the players like Hawthorn can.

Giardiasis said:
Every approach is speculative! Sure it might improve our chances in the short term, my point is that it is just as likely to hurt in the long term. I'd argue that trading aggressively for a-graders is a winning strategy IF you can low ball the players like Hawthorn can.

Put like that it's hard to argue.

But my thoughts on Hawthorn are that they do brown paper bag remuneration better than Carlton and Collingwood combined.

Maybe it's our accounting department that we should be scrutinising not the recruiting one.

CarnTheTiges said:
....... If we can win a final then they'll be lining up to come to Punt Rd. But as I've said before there's only about 1 or 2 genuinely good players available in the trade period. The rest are average players that get talked up.

... hope you're right but think we'll need to win a few finals to entice the cream because all all through every AFLers' childhood and adolescence Richmond's reputation as losers has been hard wired into their psyche. We rarely play and win finals. Even Treloar's mum and dad knew that before their first date. Fingers crossed anyway.

antman said:
There's no accounting for taste, so we'll have to disagree on this one Glantone. I've watched so many Richmond sides try to play running, attractive attacking football but when the pressures on they just melted.

So when we choked the life out of Hawthorn, Freo, Sydney, Port etc I loved it. LOVED IT

yeah, choked is the right word too. Like a python, inch by inch a slow death. Exhausting stuff to watch. Not good for the over 50's ticker you know antman...hahaha :)

I think the club may be right to not get into the top 8 arms race that North, Geelong and Collingwood are in.

Obviously it feels dissapointing, but I suspect we avoid it because that approach might leave you without enough even spread of skill, or depth.

Hopefully our approach brings us longer term and sustained time near the top.

Would have rated it a C, but did a comparison of 'where we've come from'.

Relative to using pick 19 for McMahon and being 'locked and loaded' to play finals

vs

using pick 19 for Yarran after playing finals for 3 consecutive years, securing Lennon and adding some need depth and still hanging on to pick 12

I upgraded to a B