Tom Roach threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tom Roach threads [Merged]

Re: Back with a bang: Tom Roach

The_General said:
GoodOne said:
Giving Roach a tag I think sums up the hierarchy's opinion of him.  Haven't seen anyone yet say, forget about building our midfield, dont worry about our lack of key defenders, we need to concetrate on building a good base of taggers. 

Will be very lucky to remain on the list.  If he does he'll want to grab it with both hands.  Sometimes you need a bit of luck.

Thom actually went to TW over the off season and asked for the role, he wanted to try get himself a role in the midfield as a tagger, to learn before he goes to a more attacking role.

If that's true, its probably why he was being overlooked. Personally, I dont see the point in taking a young guy and grooming him as a tagger, even if its for a year. They need to show they can play footy. Some of the best taggers in time have been very very ordinary footballers. If a guy wants to learn their defensive skills, the best place for them is off the half-back line, again in my opinion.

go back to hawthorn troll

lol at that coming from someone with a bono avatar :rofl

go and save the world for all i care im here to keep it real

evanstone said:
go back to hawthorn troll

lol at that coming from someone with a bono avatar :rofl

go and save the world for all i care im here to keep it real

Why are you so ashamed of supporting the dawks?

On the other threads players are hoping that Wallace will really take the bull by the horns and clear out players who just aren't doing enough. Phantom would tell you, (and I hope I am quoting correctly) that small players must show their wares by 22 years of age. Roach has just turned 21 he is on the edge.

We have plenty of players at Roaches height. 181-184cm, specifically:
Brown, Hartigan, Roach, Howatt, Hyde, Newman and Meyer.
Also at 186cm we have Casserley, Tivva and Polo (figures from RFC player profiles)

Lets be Football Managers for a second - its supposed to be a deep draft and of the players I've mentioned Roach has to be considered to be one of the poorest performing (performance vs time at club). He is squarely in the frame and it will be club convenience which will see him kept or delisted. Specifically - should others like Moore and Jackson be delisted first and are our scouts telling us to keep picking or stop after a certain number like last year.

Did not get near it against the coasters... Is he a late developer or just a dud'....

Bengal said:
Did not get near it against the coasters... Is he a late developer or just a dud'....
Hasn't been given enough of a go so I don't think we really know.

how may taggers can you have in a team?

he didnt even need to tag braun game was over at 1/4 time, 5 possies is a joke compared to rosa's and le cras game

evanstone said:
how may taggers can you have in a team?

he didnt even need to tag braun game was over at 1/4 time, 5 possies is a joke compared to rosa's and le cras game

Whether or not he needed to is irrelevant...the fact is he did and he did a good job of it. If younger players such as your Rosa and LeCras can get a heap of it, you'd expect someone of Braun's stature to get it rather often. But he didn't. Roachy did a good job.

Honestly, evan, comparing Roachy's game to Rosa's and LeCras is a bit of a stretch, even for a dud hawk supporter like you...

Sometimes I wonder if some of you watch games of football or sit there marvelling at the pretty colours and spitting chips at the state of the scoreboard.

Tom Roach was given the job on Michael Braun, a player of whom it has been said many times is prone to slipping under the guard of opposing sides given the attention that needs to be given to Judd, Cousins, Fletcher, Kerr and Embley (the last two missing on Saturday.)

Fletcher got it 32 times, took 10 marks and kicked a goal. Judd had 24 touches and three goals, and Cousins 30 times, chipping in with a goal.

Tom Roach played on Braun on the wing with instructions to shut Braun out of the game. No other instructions -- this should have been plain to see from the first quarter with Roach following Braun everywhere he went, whether in congestion or in trying to break into space. When Braun went to the bench, Roach came off as well. This arrangement lasted for three quarters, during which time Braun had two kicks and six handpasses, and Tom three kicks.

We were slaughtered by upwards of a dozen Eagles on Saturday. Braun was not among them. After three-quarter time Cam Howat was shifted on to Braun, and the Eagle picked up seven touches to make his stats more palatable. For those of you claiming Braun was looking purely to the first final, this was patently not the mindset of his cohorts Judd, Cousins and Fletcher. There is an old footballing adage that one doesn't flirt with form (if one can help it). Tom Roach did a job on him, the job he was asked to do. Why some of you are complaining about that I can't quite fathom.

evan stone which team do you support? it is obvious that roach followed the instructions that he was given as he wasn't draged. he played on a class player and was only outpointed by a few possesions if some our better players followed his example we wouldn't have been thumped by as much!

yandb said:
evan stone which team do you support?

she follows the dawks, but is too ashamed to admit it.

Dont blame her, and dont be too harsh on her, she is only 13 years old

Terry Wallace said in his interview/press conference after that match (in relation to how Roach had performed given he was told he was under the pump), that Roach had probably just broken even. Didn't create anything himself, didn't allow his opponent to do that either.

The next question he was asked was, was it fair to put Roach under so much pressure? Terry answered that Football is pressure. Finals is about pressure. part of the role of being an AFL footballer is to play under pressure, so no he didn't think it was unfair. He said it wouldn't have come down to just one week, Roach would have known where he was at, as the Wallace speaks to all of the boys each week, to tell them where he thinks they are at.

So, his critique of Roach's game was, it was a "break even" performance. It wasn't tremendous, it wasn't lousy, it was OK.